Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

Our family does an annual turkey shoot every year.

The rules are:

.22LR
No scope
10 shots
Must be sober
Best group at 25 yards becomes Master of the Universe for the year.

All my boys use Marlin 39s. I borrowed the Mountie and won it all this year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like fun. Nice shooting.

Molon Labe
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
When I was a wee lad, my Dad would take me to Turkey shoots put on by the American Legion in Michigans U.P. He would use an old Ranger 22 lr
bolt action with a heavy 26 in bbl. They shot at 100 yards at small bore rifle targets. He brought home many a turkey or chicken.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
as a kid dad took me to turkey shoots. my first competition with a gun.
it was lucky x with a shotgun. a buck a shot. i did win a few turkeys, even though that model 97 full choke was awful hard to hold up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fun? Fun is not on the menu at the local turkey shoot. It is a blood sport, full of passion, anger, plots, sub-plots, family feuds, dark looks, muttering and veiled threats. But, not without it's humorous moments. Sporting rifle bench, heavy rifle bench, running deer, pistol, take up most of the day. The culmination of the day's events is the 100 yard offhand, any rifle. So a few years back, a young guy shows up with an iron sighted Marlin 30-30, over the course of the day he manages to get drunk. Really, staggering drunk. They call his name, he has to be woken up, a bunch of people see how drunk he is and say, scratch him...give his money back, he's too drunk. But, The Klamath River Community Hall wants the money, they let him shoot. It is a Red Skelton parody...bobbing, weaving, swaying, I do not exaggerate the muzzle is wobbling in 3 inch circles, he launches his shot...there is groaning from the spotting scope guys...and lots of 'holy schidt', you see that?
The drunk dead centered the x in the x ring. Went out to his pickup to finish his nap with his whole bacon, the prize quilt and 50 bucks.

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/20/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
In my part of the south, they were always shotguns shot at some distance at a cross hair X made with a pencil on a small brown paper bag. Closest shot hole to center of X won. I seem to remember they supplied the shells. Been a long time since I’ve seen one. Usually were on Saturday before thanksgiving at country stores and Volunteer Fire Departments. My Dad would drive my brother and i around and we would all shoot a shot at each one. I never remember winning one, but Dad would occasionally and my brother had a 16 gauge Wingmaster that won a good many. Sometimes literally a turkey, sometimes a cash prize.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very cool!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Truly, the good old days when a man's ability to shoot straight was highly regarded. Now days [bleep] half of the country thinks your a criminal waiting to happen because you enjoy shooting..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have only gone to one turkey shoot and participated in it. This one was held at a National Guard Armory in Moorhead Mississippi and the prize was a frozen turkey. They were Butterballs and were donated by Lewis Grocery Co., now the nation’s 4 th largest grocery wholesaler. They used the Guards Winchester 52 Ds (used for training and 3 position small bore competitions) and their indoor range. They supplied the cartridges, also donated. You paid a dollar got into a flight of 12-15 shooters and shot your target. Seems like the target was regulation size target but a ditto machine copy. My memory is faded as this was in 1973,4 I was in the ARNG at the time but a different unit in the battalion. I was also participating in the Guards small bore 3 position competitions and some of our competitions were held at this armory. Anyway I wound up winning 2 Butterballs and Sgt Moore invited me to take them and leave and let someone else win one. I was young and my eyes were good and I later won battalion championship and participated in the state’s. Fun experience, winning 2 Butterballs for 2 bucks while on my lunch break at school.

Last edited by carrollco; 01/31/24.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hi RAS, what ammo did you use in the Mountie?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

137 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 14 invisible), 1,294 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.