Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Hell ya....that is my kind of hunt.

Stellar work.

Stole my words. That looks like a fun as hell hunt! Great work JG. Too dang cool!

Semper Fi
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Holy Schitballzz that's a BIG RAM!!! Over 34 inches and look at the space still between the horns! Was his head as big as a horse's? If I shot that thing, I'm afraid I'd have to do a full body mount - making the hunt cost double. LOL

Many congrats to your buddy!

He went over yonder way
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice work, JG !

Awesome pics.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Spectacular, thanks for sharing.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Heeler
Holy Schitballzz that's a BIG RAM!!! Over 34 inches and look at the space still between the horns! Was his head as big as a horse's? If I shot that thing, I'm afraid I'd have to do a full body mount - making the hunt cost double. LOL

Hey Heeler, You’re absolutely correct that’s a giant ram but space between the horns is kind of a wive’s tale. Head/ horn shape contributes to the space between the horns more than actual base size. You’ll hear guys say look for one that has horns almost touching which is kind of ridiculous, for one, the differences would be in fractions of an inch and not as apparent as actual inches of horn. Not knocking on you, just an opportunity to educate on these super cool critters.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dream hunt for sure! Congrats.....

Texas bred and born
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Originally Posted by Heeler

Hey Heeler, You’re absolutely correct that’s a giant ram but space between the horns is kind of a wive’s tale. Head/ horn shape contributes to the space between the horns more than actual base size. You’ll hear guys say look for one that has horns almost touching which is kind of ridiculous, for one, the differences would be in fractions of an inch and not as apparent as actual inches of horn. Not knocking on you, just an opportunity to educate on these super cool critters.

No worries!!! I guess I was likening it to cape buff when the bosses grow together. And that ram sure makes mine look puny. As an aside, I was telling a buddy about my aoudad I got and how it wasn't a goat and wasn't a sheep - kinda it's own thing. Buddy looks at me and says 'So, it's like a souped-up range maggot.' LMAO.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like a great Hunt, and a great time with friends !

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot of quality info on this thread if a guy pays attention.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youngest went to school at Sul Ross in Alpine.
Worked for a couple, house sitting and tending horses.
Every afternoon a herd of aoudad would come down out of the surrounding mountains and clean up the hay the horses left.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Follow up to Heeler's earlier post.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Dandy, massive ram eastex. Whereabouts?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This was in NM as opposed to TX, but it illustrates how rough of country these things can live in. They are a true sheep hunt IMO, even if they're not technically a sheep.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's a badass pic TInman. Nice work.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
JGR, that ram had exceptional mass on a small frame. Davis Mts.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Cool pic taken by long time outfitter/guide Bubba Glosson in the Chinati Mountains from far away with a crude set up.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by easttex; 03/21/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pic......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Nice work, JG !

Awesome pics.

^^^This^^^

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had aoudad on the ranch I hunted north of Van Horn for 30+ years. The local TPWD wildlife biologist told us to kill everyone of them we see, so I did my darndest to do just that. The biggest herd I saw was 30-40 animals and they eat EVERYTHING down to the rocks. They are fun to hunt, that's for sure. I helped a fellow hunters daughter try and kill a huge ram we called Casper (because he had the habit of disappearing). She was 8 months pregnant, but didn't complain once when climbing that mountain straight up. And I mean it was straight up. Got to the top, peaked over the rim and Casper was staring at me at 35 yards. Being 8 months pregnant, she couldn't hardly lean over to shoot, but when she did shoot she shot over his back.

We found another group the next day and this was another long, up and down stalk to get into position. When she finally got into position she squeezed off one with her 300 Win mag and killed the ram in his bed at 182 yards. Me and her daddy commenced to shooting at the 6 ewes he had with him. That guy couldn't shoot for squat. I killed 4 and watched the other 2 run over the top of the hill and disappear into the canyon. We climbed over to her ram and I found two ewes piled up, one on top of the other. The 140 gr. Barnes TTSX went through one and hit the other one in the head. Darndest thing I'd ever seen.

I sure miss hunting that ranch. The aoudad and varmint hunting was almost as much fun as the mule deer and quail hunting.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.