-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've sort of become enamored with Halloran calls. I got a new Double Glass II.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It sounds great. Much higher pitched around the edges than in the center. There is probably a greater pitch change going from the center to the outer edges than any other glass pot I have.

Not sure if David is using a different kind of glass than other makers, but it took me forever to get the entire surface conditioned. I ended up buying one of his conditioning stones and used that when I found the sandpaper I've used to condition all my other glass calls was scarcely marking the surface. Hated to cover up the cool pic under the glass, but couldn't see limiting myself to that little preconditioned area.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/21/23.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Guy has a DH listed in the classifieds. Nice looking calls.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And they sound better than they look. This call and my Hank's glass are some fabulous sounding calls.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That little preconditioned area is literally all you need. It also helps in that if only a small area is conditioned, you hold the call the same way every time. Helps to keep oils from your hands getting all over the playing surface, your strikers, etc.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I see pictures of some people hunting with only that little preconditioned area. I never subsribed to that. I condition the entire surface of all my pot calls. If you only use that little preconditioned area, you give up other areas of the call that may have a different tone. The tone of that call gets deeper from the edge towards the center. Additionally, if that's the only area you're using, you're having to give it some touch up conditioning more often. As far as oils go, that has never been a problem for me. I don't touch the surface if I can help it, and if I do my hands aren't oily. And I'm usually wearing my camo hunting gloves when I'm using it in the field. And it's pretty easy to see the direction of the abrasions so I can strike perpendicular to them.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I've sort of become enamored with Halloran calls.

I have a similiar affliction. I was at Scheels and they had this on clearance as it was missing one of two strikers.

I already have four Halloran's but could not resist this one. It is a screamer!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
4 DH calls here, He is my favorite call maker, Have the original glass,

The Purple Heart with Cedar box call has a sound like no other,

Thought about grabbing his new long box, Don’t need it , but like that matters……..

C’mon Turkey season!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.