Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I read constantly about leupold failure.

I'm not doubting any of it.

My question is, is the problem that when dialing for range they don't do so reliably/return to zero? Or do they fail to hold zero period?

I ask because I'm looking hard at a fixed 6X the intent being to zero and shoot/hunt. No dialing wanted. Set and forget.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tagged for interest and entertainment.

BTW .... The 6x Leupold used to be the darling scope here on the fire until the winds of popularity changed direction. Now most all here are afeared to claim they even own a Leupold for fear of internet shaming.

I own a bunch. I don't dial them. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The reports seem to be more the former than the latter.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Almost every rifle I own wears one. Never had an issue with sighting in or holding zero

So idk what the issues are/is

Hunt...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have three straight 6X Leupold scopes on "working rifles". They have been banged around and beat up for many years, one has been dropped out of a tree stand. All three have held their zero from day one. Admittedly I use nightforce scopes on my competition rifles but, if you want a straight 6x on a hunting rifle, Leupold is a good choice, at least based on my own personal experiences.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They can simply die without any particular warning. I love my 6x Leupolds but I have had to get repairs done.

I have a 243 that loves the 87 grain VMax. I had been using one of my 6x42 M8 scopes on it. Plinking at 300 yards on steel I could pour shot after shot into the same hit splash in the paint. Then one day I couldn't. Then it was all over the steel. Swapped on another scope and voila, all was well again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupi recommend banging on the turrets with a mallet after making adjustments is order to "settle in the erector ".....

Then Burns started selling a $5k, " long range mallet"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hicountry
Leupi recommend banging on the turrets with a mallet after making adjustments is order to "settle in the erector ".....

Market research, demographics, target audience, (pun intended) and all that.

LOL
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
To add,

The scope is for an old MK V 270WBY (new to me).

The current plan is to zero high stepping 130s at 300yds and hold out to 400yds. Any critter much beyond that gets a pass.

Can't bring myself to mount a "tactcool" scope on it and weight is a factor.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I can't pretend to be a scope mechanic, I have taken several cheap scopes apart though, and it looks like they all operate on the same mechanical principle. The "root" or heart of the internally adjustable scope seems to be the biasing screws (elev and windage) that operate in opposition to leaf spring(s). Weavers, Tasco's, Bushnells, Lymans etc have pretty stout erector springs. They also IMO have very very low amount of slop on the biasing screws. I've never felt I had the money to tear a Leupold apart, just for comparison purposes, but logic would dictate from reports of not tracking/not holding zero, that the damn springs are prone to lose their temper (or too small by design)...and the thread tolerances are pretty sloppy. Hard to believe it could be that simple...but Weaver mastered it years ago, Burris seems to have as well. It can't be that hard...can it?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I only have six leupold scopes. Thirty years old to one year old. Never had any problem holding zero. Then last year, I only shot about a thousand rounds. Maybe if I shot more, I would see a problem. But so far so good.

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Heym06
I only have six leupold scopes. Thirty years old to one year old. Never had any problem holding zero. Then last year, I only shot about a thousand rounds. Maybe if I shot more, I would see a problem. But so far so good.

Right, this particular rifle won't be shot that much, that's what the 308 is for!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OGB

Other than here, where else do you constantly hear about Leupold failure? Forums, range, friends.

Last night was directed to a Snipers Hide post on scope failures. Leupold was mentioned less than most of those mentioned, in the 20 or so posts I read. I thought it comparatively odd.

Last edited by battue; 03/21/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hicountry

I thought that the process for any scope was to whack the turrets with the butt of a large, dangerous game round to settle the "graticles".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by OGB

Other than here, where else do you constantly hear about Leupold failure? Forums, range, friends.

Last night was directed to a Snipers Hide post on scope failures. Leupold was mentioned less than most of those mentioned, in the 20 or so posts I read. I thought it comparatively odd.

At the first flash of lightning and the accompanying crash of thunder, the 'fire herd is off and running; trying to stop it will only result in being trampled.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OGB

I'm not doubting any of it.

My question is, is the problem that when dialing for range they don't do so reliably/return to zero? Or do they fail to hold zero period?

I ask because I'm looking hard at a fixed 6X the intent being to zero and shoot/hunt. No dialing wanted. Set and forget.

I have had many issues with their relatively entry level variables such as VX-I and VX-II, VX-2, etc. not holding zero.

The FX-III and FX-3 as well as one FX-II have held zero just fine for me. Their Ultralight 2.5x20 has been a good scope for me too, on a couple different rifles that get banged around on horses, boats and snow machines.

No comment on dialing or RTZ, or their higher end variables.

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by OGB

Fair question, here. I'm not on any other forums.

Would add that our very own 458WIN speaks highly of the fixed 2.5x. My interest hear is with a fixed x scope that will be zeroed and left alone and if the act of shooting alone causes loss of zero. If that is the case, I'll look elsewhere.

Again, suggestions in this category are welcome.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have had excellent results from the 6x42; have even dialed it off and on at the range. Once in the field.

Never owned the 2.5X, but have two of the 3x. No problems. Friend has both the 6X and 3x...He shoots a lot more than average and hasn't mentioned any issues.

Also have nothing to complain about their 1.5-5.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For conversation.....

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/optic-failures.7001923/

Perhaps this group doesn't shoot as much as here.... grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a new FX3 6x42 recently with the same set n forget game plan.....good luck with your project.

Im still debating just exactly which rifle i want this scope to live on. It currently sits on a heavy barrel vanguard varmint 308. Im thinking about moving it to a sauer 100xt, 7m08.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.