Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Has anyone done a side by side zero’ing video with a leupold and a scope that actually works?

Takes 2 or 3 shots to zero a legit scope. More like 8-10 with a Leupold if you touch the windage. It’s brutal.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you have a Leupold scope that works fine for you- use it by all means. No reason to bash those of us who have had many problems with them over the years.

I still have several Leupold scopes on hunting rifles, but as each one gives me problems it goes down the road any more rather than send it in to Leupold and have them tell me they can't fix it and send me a new scope..

Holding zero isn't really the major issue I've had with Leupold scopes. Only had one or two over the years that had that issue and Leupold was pretty quick to fix it. My problem and the problem of most of the people I have talked to is the lousy erector system. If you move the knob that says 1/4" per click 4 clicks, you should get an inch, right? In my experience and several guys I shoot with, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Sometimes tapping it with a screwdriver, cartridge, or whatever blunt object you have handy will get it to move, sometimes it won't . Sometimes it takes several shots to get things to move and it isn't always the distance you dialed- that may take a couple more shots. Moving the crosshair up or down invariably tends to also move the crosshair left or right- not a good thing for dialing or for sighting in with the cost of components these days.

Personally, I think Leupolds are one of the best looking scopes on the market and their glass is as good as any on the market IMO. And if they worked as advertised they would be the only scope I would use since they are built by my neighbors and acquaintances and their plant is just 5 miles from my house. But it hasn't worked out that way for me and many others and I don't recommend them to friends any more. The fact they closed down their custom shop, won't produce gloss scopes, and stopped doing things like reticle changes and other services has pretty much soured me on the management team and product over there now...

Go ahead and bash away...
My experiences exactly mirror your post ^^^^ I'm not going by other folks opinions, just going by my experience at the bench. Using a variety of other scopes, I can generally adjust and verify a zero with 7 or 8 rounds. Leupold? I consider it pure folly to attempt a sight-in and correction with less than 25 loaded rounds...and this still requires tapping to reduce the number of recoil cycles to get the erector to settle. From an entire herd, down to two Leupolds now, a 2x7 that will not die, and a 2.5x8 that has not required an adjustment in 4 seasons.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
My experience is with VariX IIIs and above.

Root causes in order:

Bad Mounts such as Redfield JRs.

Bad shooter such as a few here on the fire. Practice more.

Bad rifles

Bad scope. The MK6 was more prone to real optic failures than anything else I have seen from Leupold.

I had a VariX II long ago that worked great as set and forget.

I had an early VX-6 with measurable track out during zoom but it held zero at max zoom.

I have tested and shot a few hundered VX-6 and VX-6 HDs.

Not sure what a “hundered” is, but do you really expect us to believe you’ve shot almost $690k worth of Leupold VX-6 scopes? I read many comments about the infamous Burns Zeroing Mallet, but seriously? Think before you drink, or post.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
Not sure what a “hundered” is, but do you really expect us to believe you’ve shot almost $690k worth of Leupold VX-6 scopes? I read many comments about the infamous Burns Zeroing Mallet, but seriously? Think before you drink, or post.

Yes.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few. Mostly M8's. But also, FX's and various variables, which are mostly 3x9's or 2x7's. I like my FX3 - 6x's the most. Then the other FX 6x's, then the M8 6x's. I have a few M8-4x's and a couple higher fixed power too -- very tough scopes, I think. Variables = bleh, I've only bought variables when I couldn't find a fixed power.

I've had a couple problems with Leupold's.

The first came on a rifle. The previous owner may likely have used a set of pliers to adjust the scope setting as tight as he could, he bitched that it was 'foggy' and shot way low and to the right. He guaranteed that all the adjustments were as tight as he could get them. I couldn't free the adjustments, and neither could Leupold evidently. They sent me a new scope.

I had one or two others that they rebuilt as the POI changed. These were old scopes.

I prefer setting the POI as perhaps 1" high at 100 meters or perhaps 2" or 3" depending on the cartridge. I know what the trajectory is and therefore can aim as needed, without adjusting anything - no dialing for range and no adjusting the variable power setting. When I go out, I review the expected elevation POI before I go. I also check the wind and direction and I estimate the defection at certain ranges. Other than PD's and pronghorns I rarely shoot past 300 yards.

If you spin the elevation turrets or set the variables on 9x and have a deer run past you at 25 yards, I'll try to feel sorry for you.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a few. Mostly M8's. But also, FX's and various variables, which are mostly 3x9's or 2x7's. I like my FX3 - 6x's the most. Then the other FX 6x's, then the M8 6x's. I have a few M8-4x's and a couple higher fixed power too -- very tough scopes, I think. Variables = bleh, I've only bought variables when I couldn't find a fixed power.

I've had a couple problems with Leupold's.

The first came on a rifle. The previous owner may likely have used a set of pliers to adjust the scope setting as tight as he could, he bitched that it was 'foggy' and shot way low and to the right. He guaranteed that all the adjustments were as tight as he could get them. I couldn't free the adjustments, and neither could Leupold evidently. They sent me a new scope.

I had one or two others that they rebuilt as the POI changed. These were old scopes.

I prefer setting the POI as perhaps 1" high at 100 meters or perhaps 2" or 3" depending on the cartridge. I know what the trajectory is and therefore can aim as needed, without adjusting anything - no dialing for range and no adjusting the variable power setting. When I go out, I review the expected elevation POI before I go. I also check the wind and direction and I estimate the defection at certain ranges. Other than PD's and pronghorns I rarely shoot past 300 yards.

If you spin the elevation turrets or set the variables on 9x and have a deer run past you at 25 yards, I'll try to feel sorry for you.
Yesterday was asked by a good bud which Leupold. From what he was asking, the FX3 6x42 seemed a good choice, in fact he mentioned it and I agreed it would be about optimal for what he was wanting to do, set and forget.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the Deer ran past someone at 25 yards who knows how to get behind a scope, their odds of making it much further would be slim.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I think their failure rate is somewhat dictated by your rifles accuracy and what you expect of them... If you have custom rifles well put together with premium barrels and only achieve 1.5 Moa accuracy with a certain scope mounted it may be causing you some grief.. Change scopes and are then shooting 1/2 moa groups it becomes pretty easy to point a finger.. If, on the other hand, your set up gives you that 1.5 moa accuracy and you're perfectly satisfied go forth and live happily ever after..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OGB: I pay NO heed to the few Leupold "naysayers" on this forum - never have, never will!
I have many dozens of Leupold scopes and have been using them VERY successfully for 59 years now (I bought my first Leupold scope in 1964). And I intend to keep using them til "the end"!
For instance - 2 weeks ago I bought a new in box Remington XR-100 Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger.
I wanted to set this Rifle up for predator Hunting (night calling) so I precision mounted, in lapped Leupold rings/bases, a Leupold 4x12 variable scope with adjustable objective. Not only does this scope look fantastic on this Rifle it performs equally as well.
Last week I broke in the barrel and sighted the Rifle in using factory ammunition. At the end of that barrel break-in and initial sight-in I decided I wanted the point of impact lowered one full inch.
So in the deteriorating wind conditions of that day I adjusted the scope 4 clicks "down" - but held off any more shooting that day.
Forward now to this morning when I decided to shoot the Rifle again (get some more fireformed brass) and I returned to my range - vois la - the new point of impact was now "one inch" lower than it was prior to my adjusting the scope! just where I wanted it and thought it would be.
By the way the 5 shot group I made today at 100 yards measured .581" - so much for the few Leupold naysayers on this site!
In full disclosure the yardage increments on the bell of the adjustable objective was adjusted, to my eye, to be "parallax free" whilst the yardage "read" about 120 yards - if that can be considered a criticism?
Over the last 20 years on this forum I have learned one thing for certain - look upon the few Leupold naysayers hereabouts, with distrust.
I also now look upon the few Leupold naysayers here, with disdain.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company.
I recommend you try the Leupold.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
What a load.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have five different rifles which are dedicated silhouette rifles two of them in rimfire three of them and high power all wearing Leupold of some type.
1 -10x with Target turrets
1-24x with Target turrets
1-VXII 6-18x40 target model
2-VXII 6-18x40 with Stony point knobs added for elevation..
during the matches for silhouette you are dialing at least four times up and down elevation. sometimes you might add a click or two for windage sometimes you don't.
these Scopes are from older to the newest is probably still 10 years old I'd have to go look up that information I guess.. but not one of these has ever failed to do what it's supposed to do and I use them all quite a lot..
in my opinion since long range shooting has gotten to be a fad I think a lot of people overestimate their ability( especially the properly read and keep track of conditions) and the guns ability at longer ranges and want to blame something and they always blame the optic..
now I'm not saying Leopold is perfect by any means anything can fail.
I use more Zeiss and Meopta on my hunting guns and Leupold on Target guns..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/auSULUe.jpg?1[/img]

this is a leupold vx r, certainly not one of their base models. look at what happened here, there is only 1.5 tiny threads at best that hold the turret adjuster on. Those 1.5 threads are tasked with holding the turret click mechanism that bears against the erector. it has to hold back the spring on the erector. The erector looked like cheap stamped aluminum from what I could see from the outside.

leupolds are great set and forget scopes. its dialing they can't handle, even the supposed "good" models like the mark 4's and vx3's. All this worked great when people didn't dial their scopes. IMO leupod is a relic of the past. their coatings don't deal with flare and sun hitting the objective lenses very well. IMO the japanese LOW scopes have totally outclassed them for 2 decades.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
leupolds are great set and forget scopes. its dialing they can't handle, even the supposed "good" models like the mark 4's and vx3's. All this worked great when people didn't dial their scopes. IMO leupod is a relic of the past. their coatings don't deal with flare and sun hitting the objective lenses very well. IMO the japanese LOW scopes have totally outclassed them for 2 decades.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

this is a leupold vx r, certainly not one of their base models. look at what happened here, there is only 1.5 tiny threads at best that hold the turret adjuster on. Those 1.5 threads are tasked with holding the turret click mechanism that bears against the erector. it has to hold back the spring on the erector. The erector looked like cheap stamped aluminum from what I could see from the outside.

the Japanese LOW scopes have totally outclassed them for 2 decades.

TRUTH!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Japlvr

TRUTH!!!

User Name checks out.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are Japanese LOW scopes?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
What are Japanese LOW scopes?

Those built by Light Optical Works.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Japlvr

TRUTH!!!

User Name checks out.

Thank You!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
john, look we have all seen that shot, while I do believe you guys can shoot out there better than 95% of guys on here. even you need to admit that there was at least a bit of luck with that shot. a cold bore hit at that range has a ton of variables. its funny you have nothing to say about the piss poor job leupold does of holding the turrets on.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Shot with a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R CDS at 570 yards. Dialed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.