Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Title says it all.

Lots of people in cash right now. You?

Stocks, bonds, metals, real estate ...?

If, how, when getting back into something?

Looking for ideas ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB2

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For short term money T-bills are the answer right now - yields not seen in years (5% ) with virtually no risk, no state or local taxes, several durations to choose from. You can purchase any amount directly from Treasury.gov. You may consider laddering them because the Fed meets in a few weeks and we all know where FF rates are going from here and the T-bills yields should follow the FF rates.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm a little concerned about the future of my Norfolk Southern Preferred. If the government decides to rip NS a new one, it's gonna get ugly. Since I first bought it, it has quadrupled....but if Biden's DOJ goes after them, it's toast. I'm not real happy with the idiot who tried to get the people in East Pal to sign liability waivers. Corporate should have immediately sent several boxcars of palletized 100 dollar bills and gave them to anybody with a sore throat. That would be a lot better optic than lawyers with clipboards.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do not jump in and out of the market. For 35 years, I’ve had a mixed portfolio of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, tax free munis, and a little cash. I meet with my investment advisor occasionally and make some adjustments. But jumping out of the market or “timing” it to buy low, sell high, doesn’t work for me. When I get a cash infusion from somewhere, I discuss investment options for that money and usually spread it over several types of investments.

NRA Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dale06
I do not jump in and out of the market. For 35 years, I’ve had a mixed portfolio of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, tax free munis, and a little cash. I meet with my investment advisor occasionally and make some adjustments. But jumping out of the market or “timing” it to buy low, sell high, doesn’t work for me. When I get a cash infusion from somewhere, I discuss investment options for that money and usually spread it over several types of investments.

Ditto.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy low, sell high.

Dollar is high and mighty right now, so it makes sense to look at some international buys if you have cash.

Other than that, dollar cost average in, and stay in.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I manage my own account plus some others. Current earnings and capital preservation is the focus. These are large portfolios that outstrip current needs so the approach is conservative.

Here is what I believe:

The fed needs to fix its balance sheet so rates will remain high and maybe rise.

Mild to medium recession later part of 23.

As rates go higher tolerance to currently unprofitable activates will decline and high PE stocks will get pressed lower. Since money will tighten and inflation is continuing I am being stricter on stock criteria and evaluation and buying and selling stocks.

With that as marching orders currently have 45% real-estate, 10% assets and 45% investments.

Of the 45% investments currently comfortable with 50% in cash like investments 45% percent equities of which all need to pay minimum 3% Divs, 50% Div payout or less and PE 22 or lower. This will give up some long term appreciation but will provide reliable stability. The other 5% stock are bets that will outperform in the future.

Cash parked in multiple money market funds earning 4.2 -4.5% paid monthly. Currently using SWVXX, SNOXX at Schwab , FNSXX, VMRXX, WMPXX at Wells Fargo and SPRXX at Fidelity. Looking at Tbills currently 5%+ for 6-12 months but money is tied up an no monthly payout. It is just too easy to do MM funds but if it goes higher I might grab some.

Mainly there is a lot more cash than in the past but this is meeting the needs of everyone and providing liquidity which gives flexibility. YMMV

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BC3
For short term money T-bills are the answer right now - yields not seen in years (5% ) with virtually no risk, no state or local taxes

I've got about 75% of my portfolio in short term T-bills right now. I've been buying 3 month T bills because the rates are rising so fast that I don't want to go longer, I roll over at a higher rate when they mature. I believe we're in for a recession (it's almost a certainty) and there'll be a decent correction in the market. I'll re-evaluate getting back in at that time.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I too have a portion of my portfolio in dividend stocks and some dividend ETFs. However, with Money Market, bond, CD and T-bills paying what they are, I have started moving some $ out of the stocks and ETFs and into the those lower risk assets. At 5% no risk return, it's hard to pass it up.

Did anyone invest in I-series savings bonds last year? The variable rate yield was over 9% in the first half of the year. I think it's currently over 6%.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Muni bonds, T-bills with short maturity dates, and CD's

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4.62% on the 26 week T-Bill auction completed this morning. There is a 52 week auction tomorrow and another 26 week auction 3/27.

Originally Posted by BeerWhisperer
Did anyone invest in I-series savings bonds last year? The variable rate yield was over 9% in the first half of the year. I think it's currently over 6%.

6.89% current 6 month rate, and they compound semi-annually, so these high rates for the last year and a half pack some extra weight. Too bad the annual limit is $10,000 per person.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 03/20/23.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sold a business in late 2021. Have been heavily focused on private equity and private credit markets since then. A few private venture funds have come up. All seem to be a big gamble, but a few have gotten some capital. Haven't moved my equity positions at all. Waiting for a big correction, but even then it'll be a small move.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
In coffee cans!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Forty years of a broadly diversified portfolio with consistent investments through all the downturns has been rewarding.
Timing the market is a guaranteed loser. Matching what an employer contributes is a guaranteed winner. Don't spend beyond your means and pay off the monthly credit card. Because of the continued action by Powell, short term CD's have eclipsed 5% in my area. This will be my next move.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Stocks, it's what I know best. I just picked up KEY and PACW hopefully at the bottom of their range.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
still heavy in NASDAQ. Up 13.95% YTD. Fingers crossed that it keeps moving in the right direction.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sold my HSBC and replaced it with LW.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sold CNHI, it was fun but it formed a head and shoulders in its 6 month chart. Reinforced my postion in LW with the proceeds.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
80% of my SEP/IRA is in timberland and has been for the last 20 years. I have a few hundred grand in the market just to
play with. Been trading TOST 16.6-20ish, GOOGL 95-102, FANG 130-145, RXRX 6-7.5, and VZ37-41 with a 6.5% div. I just can't get enthused about chasing some of this prices.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sold my NVDA today and made a very nice profit. I thought its momentum was starting to wane.Bought FDX and GSK to replace it.

Last edited by tdbob; 04/06/23.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.