Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Golden Sabre's are good; Fed HST's & Gold Dots are too...............not a lot of real difference.

I've carried HST's since they replaced the schitty Fed HydraShok's.

Same/same in 45 as well.

MM

Bullet Testing

Same carry ammo I use in all my 9's and 45's.........they just work!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by TWR
Point is, your favorite bullet sucks, don't get too hung up on water jugs or ballistic gel testing. Hit em where they need hit as many times as you can and hope they don't deflect, bounce, ricochet or whatever you want to call it.
I disagree...

The bullet doesn't suck that's for sure. It has always been a very solid performer in scientific tests. I'll take ballistic gel tests over someone's anecdotal story every day of the week; I don't care who's telling the story. Anecdotal data is worthless.
So you put more faith in gel tests than someone that was actually shot by one. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

You have shot any game animals with any handgun.

There is no real proof that the so called "Strasbourg test" ever happened

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR
Point is, your favorite bullet sucks, don't get too hung up on water jugs or ballistic gel testing. Hit em where they need hit as many times as you can and hope they don't deflect, bounce, ricochet or whatever you want to call it.
I disagree...

The bullet doesn't suck that's for sure. It has always been a very solid performer in scientific tests. I'll take ballistic gel tests over someone's anecdotal story every day of the week; I don't care who's telling the story. Anecdotal data is worthless.
So you put more faith in gel tests than someone that was actually shot by one. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-75373.html

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, there are always exceptions to every rule & every circumstance is not always the same.

But..................the gelation tests provide a "comparative" evaluation of various bullets in a consistent medium & absent anything better, is the most reliable info available.

It's all about consistency................if a bullet performs erratically in gelation, chances are high that it will behave erratically in real life situations as well..........across a broad range of circumstances.

Look at Federal Hydra-Shoks for example in either 9mm or 45...............not consistent at all compared to HST's or Golden Saber's.

If the performance is erratic in a consistent medium, do you think it's not going to be erratic in other conditions too?

And +/- an inch or so on penetration is not significant..............as long as it's enough & is consistent.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, there are always exceptions to every rule & every circumstance is not always the same.

But..................the gelation tests provide a "comparative" evaluation of various bullets in a consistent medium & absent anything better, is the most reliable info available.

It's all about consistency................if a bullet performs erratically in gelation, chances are high that it will behave erratically in real life situations as well..........across a broad range of circumstances.

Look at Federal Hydra-Shoks for example in either 9mm or 45...............not consistent at all compared to HST's or Golden Saber's.

If the performance is erratic in a consistent medium, do you think it's not going to be erratic in other conditions too?

And +/- an inch or so on penetration is not significant..............as long as it's enough & is consistent.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Agree 💯 %

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR
I disagree...

Precisely, and I'm not surprised that you're surprised.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweating every little detail in your load is a waste of time. Make a reasonable choice in your load, I like JHP's made by well established suppliers, and that's about all the thought I put into it anymore. If it feeds in my pistol, and it hits to point of aim, it will work if you do your part. If it doesn't work, it is so incredibly rare that its the fault of the bullet, its because you either didn't shoot enough, or you shot the wrong places. If all I have is ball ammo, I don't lose a minute of sleep.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Friend shot a deer with those bullets from a 38 Super. Hit hit it through the front lung and the second high through the rear lung. Both bullets exited.

I was surprised at how far it ran, 3-400 yards at least.

The bullets opened up, but that little doe didn't seem to care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Friend shot a deer with those bullets from a 38 Super. Hit hit it through the front lung and the second high through the rear lung. Both bullets exited.

Sounds about right for a lung shot with a marginal cartridge.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Same with a rifle sometimes. No two are the same. I once saw a Blackbuck travel about 200 yards after being shot through both lungs with a 300 Ultra mag.
Easy animal to track because all you had to do was follow the lung chunks on the ground.

I'll never know how that animal was able to travel that distance with both lungs totally destroyed

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Used to work in a big inner city trauma center...all I really learned was pistol bullets don't do much to highly motivated people. Dudes would come in shot several times in the torso and be just fine.

I mostly use Gold Dots and HSTs because I can get them in bulk for cheap, but use the Golden Sabers as well. As long as it feeds and POA=POI, I'm good with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Same with a rifle sometimes. No two are the same. I once saw a Blackbuck travel about 200 yards after being shot through both lungs with a 300 Ultra mag.
Easy animal to track because all you had to do was follow the lung chunks on the ground.

I'll never know how that animal was able to travel that distance with both lungs totally destroyed
That just demonstrates the value of anecdotal evidence. But yeah, I've see much the same thing in the field. How fast an animal drop is not a measure. Inspecting a wound channel, that's helpful. Which is why ballistics gel works so well as as test medium. Not perfect, but not much better out there as a soft tissue analogue. Water is actually not too far off, so while less of a test, its not an irrelevant test, just more "ideal world" than the real world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TX35W
Used to work in a big inner city trauma center...all I really learned was pistol bullets don't do much to highly motivated people. Dudes would come in shot several times in the torso and be just fine.

I mostly use Gold Dots and HSTs because I can get them in bulk for cheap, but use the Golden Sabers as well. As long as it feeds and POA=POI, I'm good with it.
Blaming a bullet won't help you after the fact. If the bullet fails, try another...or many more. I too am rather unimpressed with handguns against human targets. Of all the shooting calls I have run, it was a VERY small percentage who were shot with a handgun and actually incapacitated on scene. Most are wounded, some even critically or mortally; yet they all still have a good deal of fight in them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I often shoot recently dead big game animals with various guns to test bullet performance. I used Golden Sabre and Cor-Bon solid copper hollow points from a Ruger LCP 380 on a doe antelope that had died just moments before. I lined the shots up from the furthest rear rib and angled them to encounter the off shoulder. Fired 2 of each. This is the closest to real world I know. One of each exited off shoulder and one of each stopped in the shoulder. Both recovered bullets expanded perfectly. However, and I don't know how I did it, I missed bones with every shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a golden saber in a 357 to take a small doe a couple years back. Bullet was a pass through and left nice 50 cent sized exit. Shot was 50 yards or so

CK
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is no secret technology to make golden Sabre’s penetrate further and expand more given the same impact velocity.

Given the same velocity and approx weight retention and expansion - a 147 hst will penetrate 14.5-15.5” in gel.
If something penetrates more, it usually expands less and vice versa.
The challenge is reliable expansion especially through clothing and still keeping adequate penetration. Golden sabres aren’t any better than HST’s or gold dots. If they penetrate greater, it’s because they expand less, given the same impact velocity.

HST’s are what I used after my own testing and watching 347 YouTube bullet testing videos and reading a on pistol forum who is a trauma surgeon and has done studies for the LE.

It’s not the HST’s are better than golden sabres but they have a proven track record on the street like gold dots.
Shot placement with any of these is obviously key.

Where are all the Lehigh defense Xtreme defender fans?

90 grain mono with a screwdriver tip launched out of 9mm at 1450fps. Those penetrate too but I don’t think they are worth their crazy high cost. They are intriguing but I guess you could just use semi-wad cutters at a lower price.

Last edited by DAMARA; 03/29/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jwp, I’ve been reading, and learning from, your posts here for long time and have come to understand your thinking that jacketed bullets don’t tend to impact with enough velocity to ensure reliable expansion. At least as applied to big bore handguns for big game.

Where I live self-defense usually means protection against grizzlies as I’m in their country pretty much any time I go into the woods. I always carry heavy hard cast bullets in my .44s and .45s.

In the rare cases I go into places where I’m more worried about people I carry a snub-nosed .357 mag with 140 grn XTP bullets. But I’ve been thinking about replacing them with 158 grn cast bullets. What are your thoughts (and everyone elses) on the use of cast bullets for self defense?

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by McInnis
jwp, I’ve been reading, and learning from, your posts here for long time and have come to understand your thinking that jacketed bullets don’t tend to impact with enough velocity to ensure reliable expansion. At least as applied to big bore handguns for big game.

Where I live self-defense usually means protection against grizzlies as I’m in their country pretty much any time I go into the woods. I always carry heavy hard cast bullets in my .44s and .45s.

In the rare cases I go into places where I’m more worried about people I carry a snub-nosed .357 mag with 140 grn XTP bullets. But I’ve been thinking about replacing them with 158 grn cast bullets. What are your thoughts (and everyone elses) on the use of cast bullets for self defense?

A hardcast flat point with a 75 to 78% meplat and proper nose shape will out penetrate any JHP and usually JFP bullets and leave a wound channel that looks like a JHP that expanded made

Do some wet pack penetration tests with 4 layers of denim over the front. It will be eye opening

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

You will get nice deep penetration that if pushed with a proper load will consistently reach vitals (provided you put it in the right place). You don't have to rely on expansion to do the work. It is one of the reasons why so many handgun hunters have used properly designed hard cast bullets for so long. They simply work.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

A hardcast flat point with a 75 to 78% meplat and proper nose shape will out penetrate any JHP and usually JFP bullets and leave a wound channel that looks like a JHP that ecpands made

Do some wet pack penetration tests with 4 layers of denim over the front. It will be eye opening

Yep

That is why even in 9mm, I carry (my own loads) a 148 grain +P hard cast flat point. Deep penetration and does good when it hits intermediate objects.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.