Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not well. It falls into the category of having your cake and eating it too. Now you know why quick detachable scope side mounts, like the Griffin&Howe, were popular back in the day - they made for a very versatile package. I put my money where my mouth is once by doing that very thing with an XTR Featherweight (a 1980's 6.5x55). I installed a G&H mount with Lyman Alaskan, mounted a Lyman 48WJS, and swapped out the barrel sight for a folding leaf sight with a wiiiiiide shallow V. The gold Sourdough front side served for both the iron sights. Which sighting arrangement I went with on a particular day of hunting was determined by the terrain I would be loafing in. It worked quite well, and yes hardly a day goes by that I don't regret selling that rifle......

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Gotta ask: Why couldn't you "get a zero?" Lyman sights are adjustable through a hellaciously wide range of movement.

Couldn't get it to impact low enough. I assumed I'd have had to change to another front sight, but I loss interest and scoped it.

That's a sweet 270 fwt. Did it have the original front sight? It looks a little short in the picture.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Gotta ask: Why couldn't you "get a zero?" Lyman sights are adjustable through a hellaciously wide range of movement.

Couldn't get it to impact low enough. I assumed I'd have had to change to another front sight, but I loss interest and scoped it.

That's a sweet 270 fwt. Did it have the original front sight? It looks a little short in the picture.

No idea, it was one of the first 270 FW's I snagged from Bob back in the day. My favorite rifle...

Last edited by beretzs; 03/22/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Classic look, even more so with the cloverleaf tang. Very nice indeed!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An inexpensive solution would be a Williams peep sight. My first pre 64 I bought was a Featherweight in '06 that had a Williams peep. There was quit a bit of grime around it when I removed it. I think that rifle had probably never had a scope on it.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1911a1
An inexpensive solution would be a Williams peep sight. My first pre 64 I bought was a Featherweight in '06 that had a Williams peep. There was quit a bit of grime around it when I removed it. I think that rifle had probably never had a scope on it.

Those are actually good general use aperture sights. I have bought a few pre 64's that had them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures 160!

Semper Fi
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Those are actually good general use aperture sights. I have bought a few pre 64's that had them.

Are these current production sights y’all are referring to? I’m familiar with Williams sights, but not the particular models y’all are referencing. Would either of you gents be kind enough to provide a model number or link to such a sight? Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure BSA an post a picture for us. Their Foolproof model comes to mind.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The Williams site shows that all of the Foolproof sights for Winchester Model 70’s are discontinued.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

I could. I was just looking at one yesterday. I'd even send it to the op for $10.00 if he wants it, or wants to try one out.. That would cover shipping to his house..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two Lyman steel aperture sights. I don’t need both. PM me if you want one.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

I could. I was just looking at one yesterday. I'd even send it to the op for $10.00 if he wants it, or wants to try one out.. That would cover shipping to his house..

Wow BSA. That is very generous of you. I’d be happy to take you up on the offer but would prefer to pay you for the sight and not just the shipping.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Wow BSA. That is very generous of you. I’d be happy to take you up on the offer but would prefer to pay you for the sight and not just the shipping.

Let me get a pic of the rear sight for you first and see if you actually want it.. I need to make sure I have the mounting screws for it too.. don't worry about paying more than $10 for it. I told gnoahhh that I'd pay something forward for him sending me some cast bullets for my new 30-30. Glad to do it man, if you need it, or want it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright guys. I know I've bought a few rifles with these sights and they work well. The nice thing about them is there is no big adjustment screws to get snagged on schidt and it is extremely lightweight. It's actually a pretty clean way to go about setting up your pre 64 with a rear aperture for hunting. Again, like I said before, many of these that I've seen had missing apertures/screw in apertures. This makes this sight more like a "ghost ring" and great for hunting. It lets you get on target very quickly and better in low light situations. Now, while my first thought for a pre 64 is the venerable 48WJS, it is actually pretty hard to beat this combo on a nice light featherweight rifle. The wear on the edges of this one shows whoever owned it before me used it quite a bit. I actually don't mind the wear around the edges, as it blends in well with the aluminum butt plate and the honest wear on the floor plate and trigger guard. This rifle is in overall great condition, yet the worn sight looks right at home on it. 1956 30-06 FWT. One of my babies:

First picture is of course the 2 screws where you will mount the rear sight to. These are factory drilled and tapped and found on all pre 64 model 70's:

Next pics are of the sight base. Make note on how well it fits the receiver:
(also notice the clearance between the sight base and the stock)

Here's the actual sight, when not on the rifle:

Now when it's on the rifle:

Like I said previously, this one is the OP's if he wants it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was going to run my 270 pictured above with the peep. Figured it would be cool to have a peep sighted one to mess with. Didn’t work out so now I keep looking for one that I can put a peep on whistle

That 06 is great looking.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was going to run my 270 pictured above with the peep. Figured it would be cool to have a peep sighted one to mess with. Didn’t work out so now I keep looking for one that I can put a peep on whistle

Thanks buddy. I've had it for a while. Like I said, it is my baby. Made the same year my parents were born, so it's a keepsake. It's a shooter too. It does not mess around:

Shot with its American made Burris FFII 3-9X40 on top. I've shown pics of it before:
Of course, I glass bedded it because I know I'll never get rid of it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You have a few to choose from. The recent ones you got from Bob's kids may suffice?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You have a few to choose from. The recent ones you got from Bob's kids may suffice?

Those are going to get set up for my two boys I believe.

Not saying I won’t shoot them a little whistle

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.