Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I haven't really kept up with scopes the past few years. Putting together a 22 Creedmoor, 22'' sporter barrel in either a McM Mtn Rifle or Grayboe Outlander. It will mostly be used for paper and steel and every now and then crow, coyote, groundhog and deer. Shots will seldom be longer than 400 yards.

I'm thinking max power of about 15, max objective diameter of about 44mm preferably 40 so as to keep the scope low for cheek weld. Nothing super heavy. With one of the BDC or Mil dot type reticles, I shouldn't have to twist dials much, unless I just want to. Around the $500.00 range What would you choose?

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12

Checks EVERY one of your boxes. 👍🏼

ETA…it’s a 42mm objective and a 30mm tube

Last edited by AcesNeights; 03/21/23.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dave284
I haven't really kept up with scopes the past few years. Putting together a 22 Creedmoor, 22'' sporter barrel in either a McM Mtn Rifle or Grayboe Outlander. It will mostly be used for paper and steel and every now and then crow, coyote, groundhog and deer. Shots will seldom be longer than 400 yards.

I'm thinking max power of about 15, max objective diameter of about 44mm preferably 40 so as to keep the scope low for cheek weld. Nothing super heavy. With one of the BDC or Mil dot type reticles, I shouldn't have to twist dials much, unless I just want to. Around the $500.00 range What would you choose?

Thanks.

Many options to choose from, just like the many answers you will receive. Good luck with it!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In that price range, with your parameters, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value than the SWFA 3-15.

If you don't mind going Chicom, seems there's a few more options in that price window that people are having good luck with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are excellent options from Athlon & Arken in FFP scopes or GPO & Meopta in SFP under $500.00. Please give a call to discuss the different options, 516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
In that price range, with your parameters, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value than the SWFA 3-15.

If you don't mind going Chicom, seems there's a few more options in that price window that people are having good luck with.

In truth- probably a good option for the application but part of me says....

If only the turrets were shorter I could turn it upside down and have a proper#4.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Starbuck

In truth- probably a good option for the application but part of me says....

If only the turrets were shorter I could turn it upside down and have a proper#4.

The tall turrets used to bother me, but I got over or used to it through the years. Wouldn't say no to them being low profile like the LRHS/LRTS. And locking, but is what it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed- my comment was more about the strange reticle config. Seems different for sake of being different only.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks.

Used Meopro/Instinct 4.5-14X44 w/BDC reticle. Or Conquest MC with Rapid-Z 800.

Might even come in under $500.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rethinking it.....scopes are sounding pretty heavy to put on top of such a lightweight stock.

Seems sort of like the muzzle break added to the model 7 boomer my nephew got. Just...out of place- no ?

. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd make you a good deal on a like new Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP if you want to try FFP.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Thanks.

This one for $500 shipped:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/re-fs-nib-athlon-ares-btr#Post18255085

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Thanks.

This one for $500 shipped:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/re-fs-nib-athlon-ares-btr#Post18255085

John

Great seller here. I've had that Ares on a 6.5CM Tikka CTR for a couple of years and it's been great.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Thanks.

PM sent

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Aces & Star, between those two it will probably boil down to which reticle I like better and reviews I can find.

Doug, I may end up giving you a call.

Centershot and Hondo, those are good deals but I really don't want to go to a 50mm objective.

Japlvr, I appreciate the offer but think I'll pass.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Doug also carries the Hawke Frontier 3-15x44. 1 inch, light weight, Mil-Mil locking turrets, illuminated xmas tree reticle (a little busy), good eye relief, and really nice glass. I like it a lot better than the MeoSport that is still NIB laying in the safe also from Doug.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tag

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Ended up ordering the Arken EPL4 4-16 44 from Doug today ( the last mil version they had in stock ). Thinking the reticle will be more suitable for what I want to do. Plus it doesn't hurt to save a few bucks and a few ounces over some of the other choices. Wishing it had a locking turret but other than that it seems to be pretty much what I was looking for. If I'm not happy with it in this application I'll move it to the 17HMR or one of the .22's. Thanks to all for your input.

www.wvcdl.org
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're going to like that Arken, alot.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For Utility Killing,I prefer the 2-12x Athlon BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil,over said Arken EPL4 '16x Mil/Mil. Hint.

It's illumination is VASTLY superior,2x is MUCH handier due same(I'll happily trade away a'16x ceiling to reap same),10 Mil's per revolution turrets are more intuitive,locking turrets will quickly spoil a guy and it's reticle is farrrrrr more forgiving. A pard got used on a Black Woof with the EPL4,as he lost the reticle,though he had it in a leg hold. Hint.(grin)

Crowtitude is a breeze. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Off the front porch,at 1300yds. Hint.

For threading needles as a Play Toy,the EPL4 can easily be pressed into service,but the FINE reticle is gonna catch up with you,for Utility Killing. I'm driving one a Vudoo Hummer and another on a CTR Sporter 223. Hint.

Relative sizing comparison. Hint.

The 2-12x has quite a bit more erector travel too. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
A needle threading play toy is how most of the barrel life of this rifle will be spent with killing being mostly targets of opportunity and nothing of consequence. Still, if the reticle cost too many critters the scope can be changed. I enjoy trying to put small groups on paper and ringing steel with sporter-type rifles which is why I'm thinking I'll like this scope.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bore sighted the ELP4 on the 8" RPM 223 CTR Sporter today,fired (1) round at 50yd paper,made a modest adjustment and shots 2,3 and 4 out of the NIB spout went mid .3's at 100yds .5Mil high,as desired. 75 'Max Smooches at 2.520",Lapooey Virgins,.003" constriction,Lever' and 400's. Shot it to 1000yd steel,less a bobble. Hint.

You will likely be rather pleased. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.