24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
25+ years ago ‘absolutes’ on a certain chambering were tossed about like quoting the Bible, here in the West.

You had to use a .30 cal for bear and elk. The 7mm would be okay, but you better be shooting a 160gr bullet, because 140gr will grenade on bone. You could get away with a 243 Win for deer, but a 270 or 06 was gonna work better. And on and on…

Woah doggie, how things have changed in today’s world of hunting.

I’ve only culled a couple deer at under 200 yards with a 223 shooting a 55gr soft point. Both died without fuss, but neither got swept off their hoofs like they’d been stoned by a larger caliber.

Personally, I’m good with whatever a guy feels comfortable shooting his game animals with. If the dude understands the ballistics of his cartridge and its limitations for being used successfully in the field. Heck, why not?

I will say, I hear more guys that live and hunt in the Midwest and SE discussing the viability of the 223 for hunting medium game animals than guys out West.

I’ve done both and I would have had zero issues shooting either of my WT bucks with a 223 Rem at the distance I killed them at from a blind.

Out West - I’m more comfortable starting with a .264 bullet.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B6

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by Jim585
What is the lowest recoiling rifle to reliably harvest deer and bear? (Yes, I hate recoil)
I don't bear hunt, so I can't answer that question. For the deer, I would say look at the 250 Savage and 6mm ARC. Too bad we don't live in 1936 because lots of mild cartridges worked for all sorts of game.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Surprised they weren't advertising the 25-35 for deer after it spent decades piling them up. (Then again, given Remington's marketing problems, maybe I'm *not* surprised!)

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking the OP needs to shoot few different rifles in different calibers That were suggested here and feel for him self.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Typical answers on these sorts of threads:

"Recoil is between your ears." Uh, no it's not.

"Get a brake." Sure, add more noise to recoil.

The question has already been answered intelligently several dozen times, so no need to add to those. Just wanted to point out some things here never change...

What good would the innernet be with it though Brad! whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
25+ years ago ‘absolutes’ on a certain chambering were tossed about like quoting the Bible, here in the West.

You had to use a .30 cal for bear and elk. The 7mm would be okay, but you better be shooting a 160gr bullet, because 140gr will grenade on bone. You could get away with a 243 Win for deer, but a 270 or 06 was gonna work better. And on and on…

Woah doggie, how things have changed in today’s world of hunting.

I’ve only culled a couple deer at under 200 yards with a 223 shooting a 55gr soft point. Both died without fuss, but neither got swept off their hoofs like they’d been stoned by a larger caliber.

Personally, I’m good with whatever a guy feels comfortable shooting his game animals with. If the dude understands the ballistics of his cartridge and its limitations for being used successfully in the field. Heck, why not?

I will say, I hear more guys that live and hunt in the Midwest and SE discussing the viability of the 223 for hunting medium game animals than guys out West.

I’ve done both and I would have had zero issues shooting either of my WT bucks with a 223 Rem at the distance I killed them at from a blind.

Out West - I’m more comfortable starting with a .264 bullet.

🦫

Same here for the most part. I don't tend to care what people use whistle

Semper Fi
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I can't get enough of my 20", suppressed 7-08 launching 140 AB's @ 2710fps.

The 7mm-08 is like a lifeboat on the Titanic.

Women and children first.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only have (1) K-Hornet that has killed over 100 Brown Bears,1000+ Eagles and who fhuqking knows how many Seals. Hint.

The Bounty Boys tallied 128,000 Eagles alone. In 1923,payment was $1.00 each,which equates to +$17.00 today. Hint.

Teeker 7-08's are Goat Fhuqks,due RPM. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
7mm-08
6mm creed
243 win
257 bob
250 savage
For all the 30-30 guys I'll play devil's advocate and go 7-30 waters

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Showdog75
7mm-08
6mm creed
243 win
257 bob
250 savage
For all the 30-30 guys I'll play devil's advocate and go 7-30 waters
7.62x39 is the new 30/30 in a bolt action.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Read this whole thread. Do so with an open mind. Once you have, come back and tell me that, if legal, a .223 with a fast twist, using a 77 grain Sierra TMK isn’t exactly what the OP is looking for.

As is stated on this forum multiple times, bullets matter more than headstamps. I will also add that recoil adds to poor mechanics. Pair a great bullet with low recoil and you will get more kills. Period. A .223 starts at low recoil. A lot of posters have stated “put a brake or suppressor on XX and it will be like shooting a .223”. Why not start there?

As for my killing bona fides, I have killed literally hundreds of deer with over 40 different chamberings, as well as archery. As for bears, I only have 10 under my belt and they are split 50/50 between guns and bows.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel would make a nice balance of killing power and very modest recoil.

Animals are not hard to kill... when the right bullet and bullet placement are in the right spot.

Lower MV due to a reduced powder load... but the key thing to focus on is the type of bullet you use...

Considering bears, that are 250 lbs plus:

I'd rather have a 243 or 260 Rem, loaded with 30 grains of 4198 or RL 7, with say a Barnes TTSX in 100 or 120 grain Weight, than a 30/06 with a plain ordinary 150 grain bullet...

Last bear I shot was one I stumbled upon and it freaked and charged me... I shot it at 50 yds, about 3 steps into his charge on me...It collapsed and rolled down the hill side about 50 yds or more.. went down to make sure it was dead, and give a second shot if needed, it was gasping its last...

bear only weighted 125 lbs or so... load was a 100 grain Ballistic Tip, with 30 grains of 4198, out of the Muzzle at 2600 fps, chambered in a 260 Remington.

I had a tag, they were only $10 for residents.... only because it charged me... I gave it to a hunter I'd ran into earlier, who was hunting for bear... he'd been tracking this one evidently... I let him tag it and have it...

but the bullet and the powder charged work just fine in dropping him....he expired pretty quickly...

Last couple of deer I've taken with my 6.5 Grendal in a Ruger American Predator worked just fine...

one was 140 gr Speer, pushed by 29 grains of W 748.... second one dropped to 129 SP Hornady with the same charge of W 748.. close to a 30/30 speed/ NV...but with spitzer bullet at 30/30 speeds, and flatter shooting due to being spitzers.. both bullet exited on the opposite side and pretty much chewed up the organs inside of the deer...

they would have done the same to a 250 lb bear at the same distances... both are stout bullets...

Don't have one, but a 6 ARC with a 100 grain partition interests me also...or a 95 grain partition at close to 2900 fps mv...
using W 748 once again...may have to order an after market barrel for one of my rifles...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You better call the Bullet Maker and add more punctuation. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
What good would the innernet be with it though Brad! whistle

smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the lowest recoiling rifle to reliably harvest deer and bear? (Yes, I hate recoil)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Contender in 30-30 with a Gemtech Tracker isn't exactly loud and has very little recoil.

The 45/70, well, depends on what you load up.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 338 WM felt like a 243 after putting a brake on it. It became stupid loud, but the recoil wasn't bad.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I only have (1) K-Hornet that has killed over 100 Brown Bears,1000+ Eagles and who fhuqking knows how many Seals. Hint.

The Bounty Boys tallied 128,000 Eagles alone. In 1923,payment was $1.00 each,which equates to +$17.00 today. Hint.

Teeker 7-08's are Goat Fhuqks,due RPM. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

so Schtick... you've used 1 K Hornet to kill over 100 Brown Bears.... how many of those Brown Bears where stuffed toys, that your daughter had as a kid?

and a 1000 +Eagles? do they ' taste like chicken' ?
Those seals ya just let go floating away for a snack for the seagulls?

Do ya do the Tarzan yell after each kill?

anyone ever let you in on the concept that the seals and eagles might be a protected " bird or aquatic" being?

Have ya managed to shoot AquaMan yet? your groupies in the lower 48 are waiting with held breath for your inspirational conquest... AND ALL with a 22 Hornet?

What's your total on Soviet Spy Planes, or Chinese Spy Balloons taken down over Alaskan Air Space... over Alaskan waters also counts... That's showing those Commie Bastards not to mess with PoW Island, or the rest of Alaska...

your lower 48 groupies with subscriptions must wait eagerly for their next monthly comic book.. " The Adventures of Schtick in the Alaskan Wild".. where can the rest of us sign up?

its hard to believe that such a " Tall " short guy can live so LARGE in the Last Frontier... with his trusty 22 Hornet at his side constantly.. just killing stuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Logic says the kill count is from whomever he bought the rifle from. 😉

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
I only have (1) K-Hornet that has killed......... In 1923.

so Schtick...

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Last edited by minengr; 03/24/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t like recoil either but I have shot a lot for over 65 yrs. My thoughts are these: Find a rifle that fits you well that is in the 7 - 7 1/2 lb range ( bare rifle) with the correct length of pull and stock measurements (drop). Lite rifles tend to produce more felt recoil. Make sure that it has, or that you can put on, a quality recoil pad like a Sims Limbsaver. It makes a ton of difference! Wear hearing protection since sensitivity to felt recoil is often a combination of reaction to both the recoil of the gun AND the loud crack. Buy that gun in .243, .260 REM, 6.5 Creedmoor or some other cartridge already mentioned that typically has lower recoil from rifles in that weight range. You can buy, and certainly reload, some cartridges in “reduced loads” if needed which should be fine at typical ranges in the NY state woods for deer and bear. As mentioned many times in this thread, shoot a load with not necessarily the heaviest bullet for caliber but the best constructed bullet like a partition or accubond if bear might be on the menu. I’d consider all of these factors together…not just the caliber and bullet. In fact, you asked the correct question by asking about “the rifle” !

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by minengr
Originally Posted by Seafire
I only have (1) K-Hornet that has killed......... In 1923.

so Schtick...

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Haha it sure sent him into another long winded rant though.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.