M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Free float or pressure pad.............

Any thoughts???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Mine is free floated.
All of my rifles have free floated barrels. Some have the first inch or so of the chamber bedded.
I do have one rifle that the barrel is not free floated. It's a Ruger, just not a 10/22. It's an early
Ruger Ultralight in 223 that wouldn't group worth shiit. That barrel is now bedded full length.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Muffin
Free float or pressure pad.............

Any thoughts???

Check out the thread I started. I'm hoping we get more shooters there and maybe they can chime in. The stock I am using on that rifle is a Magpul Hunter x22 and it comes with barrel shims, so you can adjust the barrel to stock tension. Since the standard 10-22 only has one action screw, it is sometimes necessary to have tension on the barrel so it shoots to its full potential. The proof is always going to be on target. I'd also suggest a good bedding job, then it's going to be up to you to determine what your rifle likes. Most I've had like a little bit of tension:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now, lets be clear about something. I look for consistency when assessing accuracy/precision of a rifle. I don't like one trick/load ponies. A good rifle and barrel set up properly should shoot just about every brand of ammo very well. Of course it will have some that it likes more than others, but it should still be consistent. If that makes sense. Most groups shot with this rifle are 10 shots per group. If you want to see more, go to the recent thread I started for more info.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muffin;
Good afternoon or I see evening already on the east coast, I hope the middle of the week was kind to you.

Since I often like to wander down rabbit holes just to see what I can learn, after putting together a money pit 10/22 with a 20" Green Mountain barrel which is quite heavy and has a Bentz chamber, I tried something different.

I machined an aluminum block which I then attached to the bottom of the action with a couple 6-48 screws, the idea being to make a recoil lug of sorts. Sorry I don't have a photo of it out of the stock.

Then I bedded the entire barrel and the recoil lug, but floated the action behind it.

[Linked Image]

Just this winter I've put a different 4-12 Tasco with AO on it, but haven't shot it yet with that setup.

With a scope without AO, it didn't shoot as well as BSA's 10/22 with the Kidd barrel, but honestly I never really and truly tried it with enough different types of ammo back when and wandered off into different project rifles.

I'll report back if I learn anything significant, but that's what I did and it shoots fairly well, but again didn't group as well as BSA's.

Oh, some magazines that I have feed better - or better said shave less lead when feeding and as a result give me better groups. That I do remember from back in the day.

All the best with your 10/22 project.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Muffin;
Good afternoon or I see evening already on the east coast, I hope the middle of the week was kind to you.

Since I often like to wander down rabbit holes just to see what I can learn, after putting together a money pit 10/22 with a 20" Green Mountain barrel which is quite heavy and has a Bentz chamber, I tried something different.

I machined an aluminum block which I then attached to the bottom of the action with a couple 6-48 screws, the idea being to make a recoil lug of sorts. Sorry I don't have a photo of it out of the stock.

Then I bedded the entire barrel and the recoil lug, but floated the action behind it.

[Linked Image]

Just this winter I've put a different 4-12 Tasco with AO on it, but haven't shot it yet with that setup.

With a scope without AO, it didn't shoot as well as BSA's 10/22 with the Kidd barrel, but honestly I never really and truly tried it with enough different types of ammo back when and wandered off into different project rifles.

I'll report back if I learn anything significant, but that's what I did and it shoots fairly well, but again didn't group as well as BSA's.

Oh, some magazines that I have feed better - or better said shave less lead when feeding and as a result give me better groups. That I do remember from back in the day.

All the best with your 10/22 project.

Dwayne

That is a beautiful rifle Dwayne. I'm glad you brought up floating the receiver. I've heard of that method, but have never tried it myself. I have heard of guys having good luck with the Hogue overmold stocks though, where the whole barrel is supported by the rubberized stock. This should be an interesting thread, as we all have our methods to our madness. I'm not always right, but If something works very well consistently, I'll report my experience as such. I forgot to mention that I have 3 buddies that bought the stock like I run on my Kidd barreled 10-22 and they said they ended up using the barrel shim and set the tension so they got the best accuracy. Most did not require a lot of upward pressure, but a little.

Another rifle I remember fighting with was a factory heavy barreled target 10-22. I tried bedding, I tried freefloating, I tried a pressure point on the original laminate stock and then I tried a full length bedding through the barrel channel as a last resort and that is what did it. I actually pulled the original barrel off and bought a new factory Ruger cold hammer forged target barrel for it and nothing helped except for the full length bedding. That was quite the ordeal and honestly, I swore I'd never buy another target model after that. I feel to get the best accuracy/precision a Ruger 10-22 needs a top notch barrel. Now, that doesn't mean the most expensive barrel you can find, but a good quality barrel. Green mountain, Shilen, Lilja, and Fedderson to name a few. I have seen a few cheaper barrels actually shoot well too, but I never asked how they had them bedded. One was an Adams and Bennett heavy barrel, which I believe was a cheap barrel, but it shot lights out.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a 5 minute bedding job. Sometimes getting the most out of your rifle doesn't take a lot of time:

I'm serious, that is a fast setting 2 part epoxy. It cures rock solid. When I did this one, I bedded it with the shim out. Then when testing for accuracy, shoot with shim out: Freefloated barrel. If accuracy is mediocre, try the shim with different barrel tension settings:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Here's a 5 minute bedding job. Sometimes getting the most out of your rifle doesn't take a lot of time:

I'm serious, that is a fast setting 2 part epoxy. It cures rock solid. When I did this one, I bedded it with the shim out. Then when testing for accuracy, shoot with shim out: Freefloated barrel. If accuracy is mediocre, try the shim with different barrel tension settings:
Do you still use a release agent and let the action sit as the Steelstik hardens?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
With a lightweight, “tensioned” carbon fiber barrel, just float it and forget it,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Five shots at 200 yards on a 6” disc.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa;
Morning to you sir, I hope you're doing well wherever you're at so far today.

Thanks for the reply, for sure I'd never ever say my way is the only way or even one of the ways for that matter.

We used to run a match with rimfire rifles shot at 25yds where we'd shoot at a blank piece of paper - no aiming point then - and the closest 10 shots won the round. It was all standing, offhand, no slings, no elbow resting on the belly and no shooting jackets.

Anyways I built that thing to shoot that match bsa and no, I never, ever won with it that I can recall! laugh

I should mention I did win one with a different rifle, but not the money pit.

As mentioned the rationale behind bedding the barrel is that it's so much heavier than the action and because it's just sitting in the action as well, not threaded in.

Then part way through that process it struck me some sort of anchor point/recoil lug wouldn't hurt, so that's how that ended up being built.

It got parked after the club stopped running the matches we were helping with and I really didn't shoot it other than to take care of a couple yard coyotes in the past couple of decades.

When I picked up a T1X a couple years back, I saw it in the safe and thought that I really should put at least a somewhat better scope on it, so I've done that but haven't shot it yet. It's yard and house renovation season still here.. laugh

Thanks to you and the rest for a fine thread and exchange of ideas. This sort of thing is what keeps the 'Fire interesting to my way of thinking.

All the best.

Dwayne

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50

Do you still use a release agent and let the action sit as the Steelstik hardens?

Yes sir. Always use release agent. Just like any bedding job, never go full torque when bedding them. After it's cured, then you can torque it down as you like. Of course I don't use a torque wrench. When I say "torque", I am meaning just tighten it down as you normally would. A properly bedded rifle is not sensitive to torque settings. Some guys do not get that, but I have to reiterate that occasionally.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa;
Morning to you sir, I hope you're doing well wherever you're at so far today.

Thanks for the reply, for sure I'd never ever say my way is the only way or even one of the ways for that matter.

We used to run a match with rimfire rifles shot at 25yds where we'd shoot at a blank piece of paper - no aiming point then - and the closest 10 shots won the round. It was all standing, offhand, no slings, no elbow resting on the belly and no shooting jackets.

Anyways I built that thing to shoot that match bsa and no, I never, ever won with it that I can recall! laugh

I should mention I did win one with a different rifle, but not the money pit.

As mentioned the rationale behind bedding the barrel is that it's so much heavier than the action and because it's just sitting in the action as well, not threaded in.

Then part way through that process it struck me some sort of anchor point/recoil lug wouldn't hurt, so that's how that ended up being built.

It got parked after the club stopped running the matches we were helping with and I really didn't shoot it other than to take care of a couple yard coyotes in the past couple of decades.

When I picked up a T1X a couple years back, I saw it in the safe and thought that I really should put at least a somewhat better scope on it, so I've done that but haven't shot it yet. It's yard and house renovation season still here.. laugh

Thanks to you and the rest for a fine thread and exchange of ideas. This sort of thing is what keeps the 'Fire interesting to my way of thinking.

All the best.

Dwayne

It is a great thread and I always appreciate your thoughts on stuff. Have a great day buddy!!

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Yes sir. Always use release agent. Just like any bedding job, never go full torque when bedding them. After it's cured, then you can torque it down as you like. Of course I don't use a torque wrench. When I say "torque", I am meaning just tighten it down as you normally would. A properly bedded rifle is not sensitive to torque settings. Some guys do not get that, but I have to reiterate that occasionally.

Are you running pillars? Or in this case a pillar.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22

You don't need a pillar in that stock. The extra bedding in there offers way more than enough support. Have you ever messed with that quick steel?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa;
Good afternoon once more, me again and I still hope you're having a good day.

Thanks for the kind reply, I appreciate it.

Thanks as well for getting the mental gears turning again, because although you didn't ask me this, I have used either SteelStik or it's cousin when I was repairing woodworking machinery.

It worked great and honestly I'd never considered it for small confined bedding jobs until I saw your post..... and the light went on!!! laugh

Yah, I can see using that on a few things actually, so thanks again.

All the best.

Dwayne

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22

You don't need a pillar in that stock. The extra bedding in there offers way more than enough support. Have you ever messed with that quick steel?

Is the receiver bedded also?
No, I haven't used quick steel, but I have used Brownells Steel bed and Devcon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a goodly herd,including S/S receivers,both threaded and slip-fit. Bed the spout and float the receiver. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I did exactly that with mine. Works great. And you torque it down after the epoxy hardens.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My understanding was one full length beds the barrel and floats the action.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
I bedded the rear of the action and the barrel near the forward barrel channel. Then used the action screw to bind the barreled action between those two points. By bedding the lug with tension on the barreled action, which stiffens the barrel to action connection. Then locking it down as shown ends up with a pretty solid set up.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This is the end product.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute

By design, you are right. I believe this was Ruger's intention with this type of action. Mine is similar to how DF did his, except I did not bed the rear of the receiver. It does not need it really. My way of thinking is it only has one action screw, so bed under that area. The proof is obviously on the target downrange, as I always say. That is really the only way you know what really works. Again, not that my way is the only way, but what you see with a lot of 10-22's is "unexplained" fliers. What you don't get with my rifle shown above are those weird unexplained fliers. Ammo choice has a lot to do with that as well, but for the most part if you use a good ammo and it's properly glass bedded, you reduce those weird fliers. A properly bedded rifle with a good barrel is going to produce some very good accuracy. Another thing I'd like to hit on is the stress a heavy barrel puts on that aluminum receiver. This is another reason I like some support under the barrel out closer to the forend tip. This can all be tested and confirmed with business cards placed inbetween the stock and barrel. When you find the shim thickness that works the best, make note of that, use those as shims and epoxy bed that area of the stock. When done, you can pull those shims out, as the barrel will now sit on the epoxy bedding pad. Greatly reducing the stress on the aluminum receiver. It's also now a 2 point bedding system, as I previously mentioned in an earlier post. It's all mechanical and no rifle likes pressure on its receiver. That usually has a negative affect on accuracy.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa;
Good afternoon once more, me again and I still hope you're having a good day.

Thanks for the kind reply, I appreciate it.

Thanks as well for getting the mental gears turning again, because although you didn't ask me this, I have used either SteelStik or it's cousin when I was repairing woodworking machinery.

It worked great and honestly I'd never considered it for small confined bedding jobs until I saw your post..... and the light went on!!! laugh

Yah, I can see using that on a few things actually, so thanks again.

All the best.

Dwayne

Ha ha. I'm glad if it helped my friend. Not to give away more of my tricks, but I use that in a lot of my Savage bolt action rifles. Especially the ones with plastic stocks. One of my favorite rifles, I sold to a buddy, was bedded with just that. That rifle is so dang precise and it doesn't care how many shots you send downrange on target, it keeps them right in there. It was one of my favorite "sleeper" rifles. My buddies at my club hated it when I brought that rifle out to our hunting rifle shoots. I even took it to some of my clubs "precision" rifle shoots, rather than actually bringing my "precision" rifles. I'd post pics of how that rifle shoots, but this is a 10-22 thread. But I guarantee it's just like the rest of my rifles. You guys are making me want to go and buy some ammo I saw the other day:

And maybe even another 10-22 to play around with. Maybe even do a thread on accurizing one.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This is the end product.

DF

That is a sweetheart, now lets see the proof of the pudding. That means target pics!!!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It shoots little bitty groups, don’t have pictures.

With the can, subsonics do great on squirrels in my yard. Loudest sound is the bolt closing. No complaints from the squirrels.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Strangely enough, I agree with Stick. Bed the barrel and free float the action. I helped a buddy with his years ago.

Yes, Stick is on Ignore but I'm not always logged in when I read the posts...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That works.

My thinking, even though the Clark barrel is a press fit, the barrel is connected to the receiver on the bottom. By pulling up against that connector, seemed to me at the time to help solidify that type connection by pulling against it. Just my thinking.

With a tight barrel to receiver fit, bedding the barrel and letting the action float should be as good.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
Strangely enough, I agree with Stick. Bed the barrel and free float the action. I helped a buddy with his years ago.

Didn't even see his post, but he is more than welcome to post up his group pics as well. That is really the only true test and proof. Guys can claim they have the best shooting 10-22 on the planet, but without proof, it's just another azzhat making stupid claims.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Didn't even see his post, but he is more than welcome to post up his group pics as well. That is really the only true test and proof. Guys can claim they have the best shooting 10-22 on the planet, but without proof, it's just another azzhat making stupid claims.
Posting pictures on the internet doesn’t mean anything. I can shoot a hell of a target group at 10ft, post it on the internet as 100yd.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bedding the first 1" of the barrel and the receiver front and back seems to work for me, there are prob other methods that work well also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Posting pictures on the internet doesn’t mean anything. I can shoot a hell of a target group at 10ft, post it on the internet as 100yd.

And you would be a lying mother fu cker too. If that is the type of thing that you get off on then so be it. But there is a special place in hell for you and people like you. I shoot competitively and belong to a few clubs that know me very well, so I have nothing to prove. EVERY target pic I post is honest. Shoot against me and find out. I'll make note of the fact that you are a lying pos.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

And you would be a lying mother fu cker too. If that is the type of thing that you get off on then so be it. But there is a special place in hell for you and people like you. I shoot competitively and belong to a few clubs that know me very well, so I have nothing to prove. EVERY target pic I post is honest. Shoot against me and find out. I'll make note of the fact that you are a lying pos.
You seriously need to take a deep breath. Reread what was written, I wrote "can" not "do". The point being faking a target is as easy as typing a false group size, if a person is lying in their written statement they can be lying with their picture. I've never posted a target picture and probably won't ever bother. If you are local we can certainly meet at the club for a shoot. I too belong belong to a few cĺubs and have a couple targets pinned to the wall.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’ll settle it… next time I’m going to shoot it at 25yds and not shoot it quickly or in the Z pattern!

Gotta pump up my internet cred!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poor poor(literally) Beezer,is perpetually at the mercy of her Imagination and Pretend,which reliably transport her to places that don't exist...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless her heart for trying though.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Well, just as long as the powder burns don’t show.

DF

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've a goodly herd,including S/S receivers,both threaded and slip-fit. Bed the spout and float the receiver. Hint.

Hint received and taken seriously. Thanks

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint received and taken seriously. Thanks
Threaded barrel fit is probably hard to beat for a stiff barreled action. Press fit is OK. Just want a solid set up for best performance.

Vibration can be an issue regarding stellar accuracy. Damping those vibrations are never a bad deal. I think bedding the lug then torquing the action screw works pretty well.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess and have ALL the T-shirts. Hint.

Nothing dampens,like FL Neutral Bedding and especially when a strip of RTV is incorporated in the channel,or better yet 5200. Hint.

Hell...most are stumped with base/ring/optics. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,249
Posts18,448,070
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.