From 3" turkey ammo to posting pics?

Where you going next?
COVID-19 origins?
Trump's guilt? ...innocence?
BATFE 2A infringments?
DeSantis or Trump?
The price of eggs at WalMart?

Dude, get a grip!

I don't care if you shoot an 8 gauge with a half pound of #1 buck. I just don't think all that powder and big shot is necessary just to kill a turkey! 🤷‍♂️
Nor do I think five to ten dollar a shot ammo is necessary to kill a turkey. People kill turkeys with a .410, why shoot 3.5" #4's? It isn't necessary.
Last turkey I killed was with a 16 gauge, high brass #7.5 shell I dug out of a garbage can over 30 years ago!

Uh huh......
30 yrs ago now...
Laffin!!!!

Dead Tom's
SG
2.75" #8,s

"Pics or it never happened"
Not spin and deflect......

🤣🤣🤣

BP-B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
So "Martinstrummer"
Just for clarity.....

1. You dug a shell out of a trash can and killed a turkey with it 30 yrs ago?
Or
2. You held onto the shell you dug out of a trashcan 30yrs ago and killed a turkey with it like say in the last 1 to 3 yrs with it?

"Pics or it never happened"...
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤣🤣🤣🤣

Spin and deflect???
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by renegade50; 03/27/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hired out (Fort Worth, TX 1988) and had to go through orientation.
One of the instructors was a "yard sale" geek and an old Georgia boy. Told him I was a 16 gauge geek.
Said he bought a chest of drawers earlier that had a butt load of 16 gauge ammo in it, would I like to have it!
"Heck yeah!"
The next day he handed me a small bathroom sized garbage can with +/- four boxes of 16 gauge ammo.
It was a mixture of high brass #7.5's and low brass #8 field loads.
The stuff looked to be several years old in 1988!
....and I'm still using the stuff. 😉

So, there you have it! I turkey hunt with 30+ (35?) year old 16 gauge ammo I dug out of a garbage can.
The "kill" was the fall of 2018.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Thankfully, this stuff is want, not need. At least I hope it's want here and not need. And the sky's the limit if you want... or don't want! If you want to use whatever shell, good for you and have at it. If you want to wear whatever camo or boots, good for you and have it. Calls, decoys, pop-up blind... knock your socks off. If you want to post pics... or not, whatever! We truly are our own worse enemies sometimes.... You want to post your opinion as fact, whatever the opinion is... please don't. Share information, experiences and results... please do.

AGREED!

My seasons don't start until the first week of May... seams like a long way off!

"... You want to post your opinion as fact, whatever the opinion is... please don't. ..."
I try not to post ANY "opinion" as fact!
But I do post my opinions. 😉

I'm in S Texas right now. Season opened March 18th, closed Apr 18th.
When I return home to Oklahoma, season will open Apr 16th through May 16th.
I'm hoping to get a hunt in down here and another in Oklahoma. 🤞

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW renegade50

Pics don't mean squat other than you can use a camera.

Here ya go!

deer
https://www.charlieelk.com/2018/11/25/sunrise-on-the-oklahoma-red-river/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/05/10/the-rain-bird/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/17/after-the-storm/

Even as small as Charlie's website was, posting pictures was a breeze. Not the convoluted train wreck required of this site!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
We ALL have opinions, don't we! Lol!

I was seriously into 16ga for quite a bit. Had a very early Remington 870 ADL Deluxe 16ga that was a joy to shoot. Didn't realize, at the time, what I had and sold it thinking, I'll find another one! Well, been looking for decades and haven't found another one yet, oh well! Sold all the 16ga ammo to a student at one of my hunter safety classes...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As a side note, if anyone is in a jam, I have 25 rounds of assorted 12ga 3" turkey shells available. Winchester, Remington and Federal. Shot sizes are #4, #5 and #6's, the Remington is Hevi-Shot #4's and #5's. I can/will provide an exact count of what there is, but please, only if you're in a jam and need it. I only use a 20ga now, with those outrageously priced TSS shells that work like the hammer of Thor! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone used Federal Grand Slam 12 Gauge with the flight control wad? My LGS has a lot of it and it's not terribly expensive. I like the flight control wad with 20 gauge TSS loads.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/27/23.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
BTW renegade50

Pics don't mean squat other than you can use a camera.

Here ya go!

deer
https://www.charlieelk.com/2018/11/25/sunrise-on-the-oklahoma-red-river/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/05/10/the-rain-bird/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/17/after-the-storm/

Even as small as Charlie's website was, posting pictures was a breeze. Not the convoluted train wreck required of this site!
Ngaf about some abstract website....
That you probably found to begin with for CYA...

Spin and deflect is what your doing.
Posting " pics or it never happened" is too easy on here.
Everyone knows that imgur or postimage is too easy to use
That is unless your a total poser and " pics or it never happened" = Kyptonite....
🤔🤣🤣🤣
And your stories about the shells is "quaint".
( more like thought out spin)
Was one shell, now it's 4 boxes of shells you been slaying em with ever since...
Uh huh....
Plenty of people on here are experienced with spin and deflect posters...
" pics or it never happened"
Hell you say your in Texas now hunting and going back up to Oklahoma to hunt some more.
" pics or it never happened"
Have a 10 yr old teach you...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪

Last edited by renegade50; 03/27/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was seriously into 16ga for quite a bit. Had a very early Remington 870 ADL Deluxe 16ga that was a joy to shoot. Didn't realize, at the time, what I had and sold it thinking, I'll find another one! Well, been looking for decades and haven't found another one yet, oh well! Sold all the 16ga ammo to a student at one of my hunter safety classes...

My first firearm was a "hand-me-down" given to me by my great uncle. A 16 gauge "Elsie".
My grampa shot an antique Stevens 16 gauge double. Never saw him shoot any other shotgun.
For my 16th g'day, my parents gave me a Savage 67D in 16 gauge. First shotgun I bought was a Win M12 in 16 gauge.
I've acquired 2 more. Another Win M12 and a Remington "Sportsman". Both rescued from pawn shops.
The Rem was built in 1932 and was one of the first 500 Rem "Sportsman", 16 gauge shotguns made.
Still shoot 16's.
All the shotgun a man could want! 😉 LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My first firearm was a "hand-me-down" given to me by my great uncle. A 16 gauge "Elsie".
My grampa shot an antique Stevens 16 gauge double. Never saw him shoot any other shotgun.
For my 16th g'day, my parents gave me a Savage 67D in 16 gauge. First shotgun I bought was a Win M12 in 16 gauge.
I've acquired 2 more. Another Win M12 and a Remington "Sportsman". Both rescued from pawn shops.
The Rem was built in 1932 and was one of the first 500 Rem "Sportsman", 16 gauge shotguns made.
Still shoot 16's.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Still shoot 16's.

"Pics or it never happened"
Post image/ imgur = kryptonite...
Soooooo difficult.......

🤣🤣🤣🤣

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hey maybe you can tell us how you uploaded your avatar.
Did ya find it on a site and copy its code then clicked it in.
Was it your pic you had on a computer or device and had to go resize it down to 80 x 80 on a host site then copy link and click onto here.

Sounds almost as "difficult" as posting a pic from postimage or imgur.
Or did you have a 10 yr old do it for you.

Poser.....
" pics or it never happened" is always Kyptonite to posers...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Has anyone used Federal Grand Slam 12 Gauge with the flight control wad? My LGS has a lot of it and it's not terribly expensive. I like the flight control wad with 20 gauge TSS loads.

I used the 3” 2 oz load of #5 on a couple of birds in a Franchi short recoil whatever it’s called. Choke was a .665 but don’t recall the brand. Checked a couple of rounds at 40 yards and it was good enough for a while more. But the biggest bird I shot was only 38 steps and he just dropped. Head and neck were well perforated. The other was a 16 lb jake I shot and almost missed because he was running straight at me and about to come under the blind window headed for decoys. They throw a nice pattern not so coned down as what I’ve seen with Long Beard and TSS. Also shot a few 2 3/4” 1 1/2oz of #4 from an old A5 30” full choke. About 40 yards is all that’s good for and I’d rather have #6 to be sure.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As a side note, if anyone is in a jam, I have 25 rounds of assorted 12ga 3" turkey shells available. Winchester, Remington and Federal. Shot sizes are #4, #5 and #6's, the Remington is Hevi-Shot #4's and #5's. I can/will provide an exact count of what there is, but please, only if you're in a jam and need it. I only use a 20ga now, with those outrageously priced TSS shells that work like the hammer of Thor! Lol!

Gave the shells to a friends son that's starting to turkey hunt, so no longer available.

NRA life member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.