24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ballistic coefficient tends to drop a lower retained velocities.

I became aware of that years ago, looking at Sierra Manual, I believe. There are several factors that will affect flight.

The part I like is being able to see what BC is with the actual conditions I'm testing the load are. Lately, I've gravitated towards lower velocity rounds, and with some of them, 458 Socom in particular, it gives me a better idea of what it really is. Another is that some bullets don't have a published BC, and whether it is relevant or not, I just like to know what is happening with a 425 grain LFN GC with a MV of 1650 fps (.45-70) or 405 LFN GC at 1550 fps (.458 Socom) are doing at 100, 200, 300 yards, and where it may go transonic.

Probably information that is really not needed. I've never shot extended distances with either round, but I'll have an idea of what to expect at the distances I would use such rounds during load work up and before actual shooting at that distance.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I also noticed that my Labradar seems to read a little faster than my Oehler 35P. But the Oehler is harder to use and more finicky, at least where I shoot. It doesn't like direct sun and all the shade structures I've rigged up don't do well if the wind blows. It can't be set up in dappled shade. And if you've got direct sun and a strong breeze, forget it.

This is probably all related to the specific conditions at my range.

Laziness has lead me to using the Labradar 90% of the time, despite the fact that it misses more bullets. Those who can shoot on their own property might make a different decision, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TX35W
I also noticed that my Labradar seems to read a little faster than my Oehler 35P. But the Oehler is harder to use and more finicky, at least where I shoot. It doesn't like direct sun and all the shade structures I've rigged up don't do well if the wind blows. It can't be set up in dappled shade. And if you've got direct sun and a strong breeze, forget it.

This is probably all related to the specific conditions at my range.

Laziness has lead me to using the Labradar 90% of the time, despite the fact that it misses more bullets. Those who can shoot on their own property might make a different decision, though.

Never had that issue, think it BS but haters gotta find some problems even if imaginary.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Never had that issue, think it BS but haters gotta find some problems even if imaginary.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
🤣
Set up your nifty 35P here.
There's a 3½' drop aprox two foot in front of the muzzle. And before you decide to be a 🤏 🍆, I've had a 35P for over twenty-five years... 😛
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And just what does your fantastic 3 1/2 ft drop have to do with this statement? Please enlighten me on the relevance.

It doesn't like direct sun and all the shade structures I've rigged up don't do well if the wind blows. It can't be set up in dappled shade. And if you've got direct sun and a strong breeze, forget it.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used a Labradar to measure velocity of shotgun shotshell loads? I'm sure if it would work for that.

Last edited by GuideGun; 03/23/23.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are very range deprived here in Australia and where I shoot the benches are close together. Had no end of problems till I acquired a recoil trigger then its great and improves the reliability of getting a reading. In fact I could not get readings with braked rifles otherwise. For the price you'd think they would come with it standard! Its disappointing that the manufacturers have not continued to develop it in both hardware & software.

Since my range is over 1 hour away I'm always bringing several rifles along to shoot and for multiple rigs the Labradar is much more convenient than a Magnetospeed. In fact my friend who had a Magnetospeed V3 bought one after seeing my unit perform. I have also used it indoors where the shooting lanes are very narrow and have long side baffles between benches. Initially, I could not get readings then I found out the secret is to keep the Unit in the Middle of the shooting lane. Presumeably because the radar beam comes out in a conical shape & when put to one side the beams hit the baffles and reflect back causing interference. Like everything you need to learn & trial & error to get the most out of it. Contrary to what everyone & even Labradar's own info the alignment to the target is not that critical as I was led to believe. I set mine to read at each 25m interval to 100m and usually I'll get MV, 25m & 50m. If my alignment to target is really good I can sometimes get it all the way to 100m but that is not necessary.

Ideally, I think the product would be improved if it came in 2 parts. A tube like a riflescope which contained the guts of the radar unit & a seperate screen or control unit to run it or forget the screen and connect to an app on your phone by Bluetooth or wifi connection .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pete53
as mentioned small bullets , some boattails and higher velocities are limited with a Labradar that i have heard but a cheap Chony always works which i have .

haven't used my LabRadar yet, but the limitations are good to know.

I have an old shooting chrony that has been providing service to me for 20 plus years... It originally cost me $69.00.
And when I've compared it results to Oehlers and a couple of other brands, some of my friends have, when we run into each other at the range... readings are only differing several fps, normally within 5 or less..

What other chrony would some of you gentlemen recommend over the LabRadar?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the biggest advantages of the Labradar is shooting at public ranges, since you don't need to set it up in front of the bench.

The other chronraph with this advantage is the Magnetospeed, since it's designed to be mounted on the barrel. The problem there, however, is this mounting can affect both rifle's accuracy and point-of-impact, so it's difficult to work up a load for both velocity and accuracy at the same time. The solution is to put the "bayonet" (as the muzzle-mounted part is called) on a separate base, so it doesn't affect the barrel vibrations.
The trouble with this is some benches aren't long enough to provide quite enough room.

On the other hand, the Magnetospeed costs considerably less than the Labradar, and only requires one or two standard batteries, depending on the model--which last a long time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the biggest advantages of the Labradar is shooting at public ranges, since you don't need to set it up in front of the bench.

The other chronraph with this advantage is the Magnetospeed, since it's designed to be mounted on the barrel. The problem there, however, is this mounting can affect both rifle's accuracy and point-of-impact, so it's difficult to work up a load for both velocity and accuracy at the same time. The solution is to put the "bayonet" (as the muzzle-mounted part is called) on a separate base, so it doesn't affect the barrel vibrations.
The trouble with this is some benches aren't long enough to provide quite enough room.

On the other hand, the Magnetospeed costs considerably less than the Labradar, and only requires one or two standard batteries, depending on the model--which last a long time.

Magneto speed is that it give actual "muzzle" velocity while conventional chronographs require 10 to 15 feet behind the screens

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

That doesn't matter much at all, since it's a pretty easy calculation to come up with an "actual" muzzle velocity.

In general, this ends up being around 1 foot-per-second per foot of distance the chronograph is in front of the muzzle. So a light-screen chronograph set up 15 feet in front of the muzzle is 15 fps different than muzzle velocity. This doesn't make any difference in practical trajectory, since most ammo will vary that much (or more) in velocity anyway when shooting even 3-round strings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The other thing I would point out is that the MS requires more precise barrel alignment and positioning relative to the device than does the LR.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, it can. But if you've used a MS for a while it ain't a big problem--at least in my experience.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started with a Shooting Chrony, shot it intentionally, around 30 yrs ago, after getting an Oehler 35P, eventually got a Magnetospeed V3 about 8-9 yrs ago. I like both the Oehler and Mag, thought about the Labradar when it finally came out, decided not to, glad I didn't, as now there are a few others starting to get out on the market, which are a bit more loot. But, they appear to work a lot better. F Class John has been beta testing an Andi Scan for near a year or so now, has vids on YT, then there is the Bulletseeker, and FX Airguns is coming out with one they showed at IWA 2023, which apparently will also do rifles, supposed to be next month. By the time you buy all the goodies for a Labradar, they are not much more loot, if any. Sure there are likely a couple more in the works somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (35, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.