Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18274097 03/24/23
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a fan of PCC in general, but my wife loves the Ruger, and it's now her "SHTF" gun. I have to say it is easy to put rounds on target fast. And it's super quiet with e can.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like mine, they are surprisingly accurate. I keep mine in a go bag with a G19 Gen 5. I love having two guns with interchangeable mags.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like the PC9.

The fact the PC9, Glock 19, and the Dagger can all use the same magazines/ammo isn't hard to like.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I really found it easy to shoot well fast, and it shares mags with my home defense pistol.

Plus, as much as I "like" an AR, it's not like a self defense scenario will involve over 100 yards shots where I live.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Where the 9mm carbine falls short (in my opinion) is the inability to penetrate IIIA body armor. Maybe a few of the faster loads will do it, but not the common ball ammo.

It's one of those longshot circumstances, but if home invaders are wearing body armor, and more are these days, the 5.56 kind of wins in that situation.

IC B2

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Where the 9mm carbine falls short (in my opinion) is the inability to penetrate IIIA body armor. Maybe a few of the faster loads will do it, but not the common ball ammo.

It's one of those longshot circumstances, but if home invaders are wearing body armor, and more are these days, the 5.56 kind of wins in that situation.

Yeah, well my wife will have to worry about that with her little PCC. I still have the Colt 6920 with a can as my home defense long gun option. 😁

Realistically, I'm not liking my odds regardless of I'm facing a home invasion where they're wearing armor.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Shoot them in the legs or better yet, the head.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm not a fan of PCC in general, but my wife loves the Ruger, and it's now her "SHTF" gun. I have to say it is easy to put rounds on target fast. And it's super quiet with e can.

As in my other PC9 posts

I really like the hell outta mine

Running Ruger mags & no issues at all with my handloads

Some after market stuff from TK & MCarbo

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ran across one of these today and wound up bringing it home. Switched it to Glock mags. Ordered a Vortex dot sight and three Magpul 27 round mags. I have a lot of standard mags.
Question for y’all that already have a 9mm carbine. What bullet weight works best for you?

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You'll see the most speed gains from the lighter bullets if looking for speed. The 147s will be best if running a supressor. I'm currently playing with 124 gr using HS-6 and CFE Pistol. Accuracy @ 50 yards is around 1-2 inches.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thanks for the info. I am only using factory loads now. I have not loaded 9mm in probably 40 years. I took the carbine out to my son's place this morning. With the factory sights it seems to hit closest to point of aim at 50 yards with the 115 FMJ. When the dot sight I ordered comes in, I will work some more with it.

Sam......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Shoot them in the legs or better yet, the head.

Under stress it will be center mass, armpit level.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been playing with one for a while, and love it. I usually prefer the 124's in my pistols, and pretty much load all my own stuff. I did some testing with 115, 124, 125, & 147. Here is the surprise to me about my personal experience:

Although I prefer heavier bullets normally, After chrono all loads, and checking accuracy, the 115's (according to ballistics)will actually have more energy in ft/lbs at distance (seemed like 50 yds +) than any of the others. And also less drop.

I still like the 124-125 for accuracy and most all my loads are with SW Auto Pistol. I did find a 147 load that was amazingly accurate, but pretty slow.

The Factory loading that had the highest velocity and most consistent accuracy were the Browning Bulk Packs of 124 gr (~1375 fps). They were outrunning most of the 115's. The S & B 124's (~1300)were just a tad behind them.

Chris

Last edited by 351WSL; 04/16/23.

Living in a Blue Healers home with me and my wife as pets.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Auto Pistol and Magnus J136 (125) @ 50yd. 5 Shots.
Factory loads

Chris in AL

Last edited by 351WSL; 04/16/23.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
147 grain, I have read, can be dangerous out of a PCC unless you push them pretty hard. I suppose the lower velocity and longer barrel could cause a stoppage, then followed by another might not be fun. I wouldn't let this keep me from running them, but I think you will find that you will like the lighter ones if you shoot past 50 yd.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yep.

The Ruger PCC 9mm Carbine looks like a fun little gun, and might be great for a fun little plinking carbine, or OK for small game and dispatching pests around the house.
And OK for a petite woman for home defense that can’t handle a shotgun or AR-15. Better that a sharp stick. 😜

It appears from numerous reliable Canpfire Members that they are accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.
If I just had to use one for defense, and that was my ONLY option, I’d load it up with Buffalo Boar’s Hard Cast Outdoorsman Load or Mackay Sagebrush’s equivalent 9mm Penatrator Load.

But for serious defense, I’ll stick with an AR pistol or M-4 Carbine in .556 or 300 BO. And a 12 ga 870 Factory Riot Gun.
I live out in the Boonies, so a call for help to local LEO or Sherriffs Dept might get me some “help” in an hour or two. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/16/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
seeing as how a 9mm pistol stopped and killed a brown bear charge I'd think that 147s will penetrate.

Thats what I carry in our 9mms in AK if I"m down to the 9mm for whatever reason. And I do get to that reason now and then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
seeing as how a 9mm pistol stopped and killed a brown bear charge I'd think that 147s will penetrate.

Thats what I carry in our 9mms in AK if I"m down to the 9mm for whatever reason. And I do get to that reason now and then.

My new Springfield HellCat is loaded with 16 rounds of Buffalo Bore’s 147 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman Load.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I work in agriculture. Travel in the southeast US. During the growing season, I am in rural areas with no one around, and often find something to shoot at. It makes a nice truck gun for me, and as mine is a takedown, I can throw it in a bag, and right into the motel at night. It has been very handy to dispatch some bad snakes, shoot at a coyote, etc. Thankfully I don't have any bears to contend with or my 16" Rossi 92 in .45 colt would be in the truck.

I have had a few issues with the very hi capacity magazines unless they were "Glock" brand. My AC Unity and Magpul 17's are good to go though.

Chris

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll continue beating my head against a wall until Ruger chambers it in a useful cartridge, 10mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

338 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.