Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i was wrong its a 10 cent piece of steel not aluminum 3/8 x 1 inch long 5/8 wide maybe i took out of the stock that had a groove type channel made for this piece to fit ,sure looked like a piece of plastic fiber was painted grayish black ,Wednesday the glass bedding will be here . probably would be ok for some people to use this piece of aluminum the way it is ? but that channel would fill up with water and be a problem in nasty weather , not at all impressed.

Last edited by pete53; 03/27/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pete53
i was wrong its a 10 cent piece ,of aluminum 3/8 x 1 inch long 5/8 wide maybe i took out of the stock that had a groove type channel made for this piece to fit ,sure looked like a piece of plastic fiber was painted grayish black ,Wednesday the glass bedding will be here . probably would be ok for some people to use this piece of aluminum the way it is ? but that channel would fill up with water and be a problem in nasty weather , not at all impressed.

Some call it the recoil lug.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
i was wrong its a 10 cent piece ,of aluminum 3/8 x 1 inch long 5/8 wide maybe i took out of the stock that had a groove type channel made for this piece to fit ,sure looked like a piece of plastic fiber was painted grayish black ,Wednesday the glass bedding will be here . probably would be ok for some people to use this piece of aluminum the way it is ? but that channel would fill up with water and be a problem in nasty weather , not at all impressed.

Snork!!!!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Snork!!!!!

smile

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i was wrong its a 10 cent piece of steel not aluminum 3/8 x 1 inch long 5/8 wide maybe i took out of the stock that had a groove type channel made for this piece to fit ,sure looked like a piece of plastic fiber was painted grayish black ,Wednesday the glass bedding will be here . probably would be ok for some people to use this piece of aluminum the way it is ? but that channel would fill up with water and be a problem in nasty weather , not at all impressed.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s actually $17.99 at midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019285597

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i talked to a person on here who shoots Tikka Rifles alot , he did explain to me more about Tikka rifles and that piece of steel under the reciever. the one in this Tikka rifle T3x was very loose so i will glass bed th steel piece in and maybe a little more too . once the snow goes down at my 100 yard rifle range i then can find out how well this rifle will shoot. this Tikka rifle does seem nice just the steel piece under the receiver seem very odd to me and being so loose it is a very nice looking rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My apology for my snarky BS remark..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pete, If your gonna glass bed it, you might want to get one of these. It's a Titanium replacement for the factory recoil lug. you can also get one in stainless steel. They are available on ebay or you can order straight from the factory. It's a nice upgrade. Especially if your gonna glass it in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I keep seeing replacement recoil lugs and I don’t get it.

I shoot a lot less than some but a lot more than most and none of my Tikkas have a replacement. Sure, 7mm-08 and such isn’t an issue but I push my 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06 hard.

No issues.

But hey, it’s your money, if you feel better about a replacement lug go for it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's just a better quality material. If its gonna be glass bedded its gonna be there for a long time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I keep seeing replacement recoil lugs and I don’t get it.

I shoot a lot less than some but a lot more than most and none of my Tikkas have a replacement. Sure, 7mm-08 and such isn’t an issue but I push my 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06 hard.

No issues.

But hey, it’s your money, if you feel better about a replacement lug go for it.

P

I've shot the steel ones loose before. The receiver starts to eat into the aluminum and steel lugs. They always get replaced with a stainless lug now. It does happen, and it will affect your accuracy/precision. You generally won't see a change in accuracy, until after around 300 rounds, but it depends on what it's chambered for. I've bought some T3's that supposedly didn't shoot well, so they were priced low. All they needed was a new recoil lug. Just a FYI. You may not shoot as much as you think you do.

I also glass bed my Tikka's, so I'm not going to bust Pete's balls for wanting to make his right from the get go. Not a damn thing wrong with that way of thinking. Sounds like he's a Winchester guy, and that is what you do to those if you want a great shooting rifle that will be reliable for a lifetime of shooting. Most rifles benefit greatly from a proper glass bedding job. That's not guessing or bs.. Guys that don't know how to glass bed their rifles, tend to make excuses for why they are not doing it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jc189
It's just a better quality material. If its gonna be glass bedded its gonna be there for a long time.

Great thinking^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=Pharmseller]

if you want a great shooting rifle that will be reliable for a lifetime of shooting. Most rifles benefit greatly from a proper glass bedding job. That's not guessing or bs.. Guys that don't know how to glass bed their rifles, tend to make excuses for why they are not doing it.

^^^True statment^^^

I wish I could properly glass bed mine. They shoot great now. But properly done, glass bedding could only help. The problem for me is I have never done one. I'm afraid I will take a already great shooting rifle and screw it up on my first attempt. My thought, or excuse is, if it aint broke don't fix it. But I agree and wish all of mine were bedded. Maybe some day.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jc189
[quote=Pharmseller]

if you want a great shooting rifle that will be reliable for a lifetime of shooting. Most rifles benefit greatly from a proper glass bedding job. That's not guessing or bs.. Guys that don't know how to glass bed their rifles, tend to make excuses for why they are not doing it.

^^^True statment^^^

I wish I could properly glass bed mine. They shoot great now. But properly done, glass bedding could only help. The problem for me is I have never done one. I'm afraid I will take a already great shooting rifle and screw it up on my first attempt. My thought, or excuse is, if it aint broke don't fix it. But I agree and wish all of mine were bedded. Maybe some day.

if you lived close to me i would help you fix and bed your rifle. where i live many many rifle guys have me bed their rifles and all were very happy. > and this Tikka i do now understand why Tikka did this metal plate piece was a cheap way to help accuracy that took very little time for a gun manufacture to install. i will probably never shoot more than 40-50 rounds thru this Tikka rifle its just a back-up hunting rifle, i don`t enjoy recoil much anymore . so once its glass bedded , that metal piece is also bedded in and the snow melts from my rifle range i will let every one know how well this rifle does shoot. Pete53

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

if you lived close to me i would help you fix and bed your rifle. where i live many many rifle guys have me bed their rifles and all were very happy. > and this Tikka i do now understand why Tikka did this metal plate piece was a cheap way to help accuracy that took very little time for a gun manufacture to install. i will probably never shoot more than 40-50 rounds thru this Tikka rifle its just a back-up hunting rifle, i don`t enjoy recoil much anymore . so once its glass bedded , that metal piece is also bedded in and the snow melts from my rifle range i will let every one know how well this rifle does shoot. Pete53

Thank you Pete for your generous offer. If I lived closer to you I would take you up on it. I'm sure glass bedding would eke a little more accuracy out of my T3x 308.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m pretty sure I shoot as much as I think I do.

That was a weird statement.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

I'll be the odd man out and not bust your balls for wanting to glass bed your new rifle. I'd do the same thing, if it had what you are referring to as "sticky fiber" in between the stock and action. Doesn't seem right to me. I'd remove it and likely glass bed it, as well. I know from experience that if you don't, they loosen up over time. Those guys that don't, are fine to not do it to their rifles, but I know mine won't loosen up over time and lose precision/accuracy. To each their own.

I'll be odd with you.

The T3 SS Swede got bedded before it got shot.
The barrel channel got opened to eliminate contact too.

I understand why you might not.
But the argument doesn't hold water.
If you shoot it as new, and it shoots well?
Do you bed it? Or not?
If not, you are in the same boat as the guy who bedded first and liked how his shot.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
this Tikka 30-06 rifle is glass bedded with recoil lug now and put back together ,before i put rifle back together i cleaned the wood barrel channel and sealed the channel better with Tru-oil , i also clean the barrel real good with Wipe-Out and before i cleaned barrel it was very dirty. i did sight in rifle seems this rifle is going to shoot well. weather has been really nasty in Minnesota where i live snow storms , rain , so the clay ground is muddy and just dang ugly ,i do plan on shooting this rifle more soon and will post my progress . Pete53

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.