Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18274159 03/24/23
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i hear so much ranting and raving about a Tikka hunting so i ordered a laminated wood stock ,S.S., 30-06 i want tp just see how good of a rifle it is . i took the rifle out of the box rifle looks very nice , barrel is completely floated which i like ,trigger came set at 3 1/2 lbs. its a 2 position thumb type safety , this rifle is for a right hander, bolt locks with safety on , the magazine is nylon and also trigger guard makes it lighter i guess ,magazine is a single stack . has a good recoil pad . when i took rifle apart the reciever/ barrel is held up with some sticky pieces that i will change to glass bedding , the trigger is a metal box type like a Remington has which i do not like much . but overall its a nice rifle next will be range time to see how well it will shoot. the reason i got the old 30-06 cartridge they are easy to sell ,ammo is easy to find any place in the world ,and if i go to another country i would take this rifle because if i lost it would not bother me as much as my pride and joy rifles like my Ruger #1`s ,Winchester pre64`s and Savage 99`s .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hear good things about Tikkas.

How heavy is the stock? Why laminate instead of synthetic?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I like the feel and weight of the laminated ones. No mountain hunter here. I think they look better, too. I couldn’t find a laminated ‘06 last year so I bought the plastic one. Now I have both.

Plus , the plastic can cause gout. 😳

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WMR

P

I like the feel and weight of the laminated ones. No mountain hunter here. I think they look better, too. I couldn’t find a laminated ‘06 last year so I bought the plastic one. Now I have both.

Plus , the plastic can cause gout. 😳

I had a T3 SS laminated in 270 , I replaced the lug with a Titanium lug and bedded it.

Comparing the Tikka Trigger to a Remington trigger is priceless. The only similarity is they are made of metal. Magazine is not nylon, and I have yet to see one break.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a Tikka .260 Rem laminated for my daughter to shoot. Probably one of the best-looking rifles I've ever seen and it shoots great.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just saw a nice used stainless Tikka T3x with the laminate stock the other day. Didn't seem too much heavier than the plastic stocked rifles I have. Nice rifles, regardless of whether they have laminate, plastic or wood stocks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes the Laminate stock with S.S. metal is great looking . i really like its floated already too. but i do not like the sticky fiber crap holding up the receiver so i ordered some new glass bedding kit to glass bed this rifle . then i will start working on a load. probably start with Mule Deer`s > little book of rifle reloading that works / Gun Gack IV.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pete53
yes the Laminate stock with S.S. metal is great looking . i really like its floated already too. but i do not like the sticky fiber crap holding up the receiver so i ordered some new glass bedding kit to glass bed this rifle . then i will start working on a load. probably start with Mule Deer`s > little book of rifle reloading that works / Gun Gack IV.

How does it shoot? Or do you even know, before you "fix it"?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/25/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm on my fifth one right now. By all means do all the tinkering you want, but you might want to shoot it first. Im 72 and have owned more than a few rifles over the years. My retirement job was in a gun shop, and the owner jokingly called me a member of the gun a month club. Evey Tikka I've owned shot well out of the box. One was the most accurate factory gun I've ever owned.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

How does it shoot? Or do you even know, before you "fix it"?
^This ^
OP, She’s sounds like a beauty and a great caliber on top of that.
My tikka 06 loves 180 game kings at max load of hunter.

Last edited by Dre; 03/25/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Never saw one with this "sticky fiber" stuff you are referring to. Never had a laminated stock version either though. My wood stock deluxe model doesn't have any of that stuff. Do you have pics?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

What is the "sticky fiber crap" that you are referring to??? I sure would like to see a picture of it so we can know what you are referring to.

I cannot see any reason why you would glass bed it prior to shooting it. How so you know that it isn't just fine as is?
If you glass bed it before shooting it you do not have a baseline for comparison to see if you made any improvement or even possibly made things worse.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Never saw one with this "sticky fiber" stuff you are referring to. Never had a laminated stock version either though. My wood stock deluxe model doesn't have any of that stuff. Do you have pics?

Sticky Fiber doesn't exist .Lug on mine was in there solid but I replaced it anyway with a titanium lug. Shot great out of the box.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

Last edited by pete53; 03/25/23.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

Then why buy a 30-06 in the first place?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
I'm on my fifth one right now. By all means do all the tinkering you want, but you might want to shoot it first. Im 72 and have owned more than a few rifles over the years. My retirement job was in a gun shop, and the owner jokingly called me a member of the gun a month club. Evey Tikka I've owned shot well out of the box. One was the most accurate factory gun I've ever owned.

I agree with Bogtrotter. You might want to shoot it first. I have 4 now. I have set up several for my bil, nephew, and friends. 8 T3x's in the last 2 years. All have shot sub moa with factory ammo out of the box. I do not reload. It might take some trial and error before you find what it likes to shoot best. but when you find the one you will know. The only one that gave me a little trouble was my 308. It would shoot 1 moa but I couldn't get it much better than that. I changed the stock and recoil lug and it now shoots .75 moa. with factory ammo (Hornady 168gr ELDM's) None have been glass bedded.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
^My first 270 with Factory Fiocchi 130gr 100yds^

^6.5 Creed Factory Hornady 130gr ELDM 100yds^

^270 #2 in a laminated stock shooting Factory Fiocchi 130gr 100yds^

^270 # 3 set this one up for my nephew. It likes Fed Fusion's 130gr.^

I know these are only 3 shot groups. But thats enough to tell me what they like to shoot. when you find out what they like, they will shoot great right out of the box.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wonder what year they will chamber the 7 prc?

It’s going to piss me off when it outshoots the one I have being spun up.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m gonna have to get me one of those Tikkas.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've owned several, shot several others. Never seen one that didn't shoot exceptionally well. I value the light weight, but they aren't too light. Mine come in between 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 lbs scoped which is about right for me.

My 1st Tikka was 30-06. But I decided some years ago that it was more gun than I needed. My current Tikka's are 6.5CM, 308, and 22 LR.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m gonna have to get me one of those Tikkas.

P

You should try one in 7/08.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,520
Posts18,452,713
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.