Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just brought my 4 year old Drathaar to the vet and he tested positive for hypo thyroid. He was acting sluggish and put on some weight pretty fast, and his coat was getting patchy. That is what made me bring him in. Vet wrote him a prescription and said he would need them the rest of his life, she said once we get his levels normalized he should be his old self again and it shouldn't affect his hunting.

Anyone else have a dog with this condition? How has it been?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep. Some breeds are prone. My first golden retriever had it. They do okay with the meds but you still have to watch their weight especially as they get older, maybe Drats not so much.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Just like humans most mammals are thyroid deficient as they get older. Ive talked with vets who know more about t3 and rt3 than supposed MDs. Currently have a terrier and Bengal cat in their later years. Have both on t4, Cats when older start loosing their hair and people think its fleas, or ticks. Older dogs are also prone to early morning hacking caused by angiotensin, and benefit from adjusted doses of an ACE2 inhibitor. (losartan). Have 2 of those.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Sending well wishes to your furry friend! I hope the prescribed treatment helps your dog's condition and that he gets back to his lively self soon

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We had a beagle a few years back that was on thyroid pills. At about 10 years old he started getting real sluggish. We thought it was old age and that he was not going to be around much longer. Put him on the thyroid med's and he was lively and active up until near the end. He lived to be 15 years old.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My first Wirehair was diagnosed when he was about two. Took a pill every day until he passed at 13. Incredible grouse dog and defender of his kingdom. He met my wife to be when he was four. Put his head in her lap and claimed her. If you drove on the place he would sit between her and lightning rod or barn painters we were plagued with. Or the JW [bleep]. She always was pleasant but our dog was not. He might have a low growl to back her up. 85 pound bad ass that the kid’s could do anything too and he loved it. We have been blessed with three of those incredible dogs.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by frank500
My first Wirehair was diagnosed when he was about two. Took a pill every day until he passed at 13. Incredible grouse dog and defender of his kingdom. He met my wife to be when he was four. Put his head in her lap and claimed her. If you drove on the place he would sit between her and lightning rod or barn painters we were plagued with. Or the JW [bleep]. She always was pleasant but our dog was not. He might have a low growl to back her up. 85 pound bad ass that the kid’s could do anything too and he loved it. We have been blessed with three of those incredible dogs.

Great story! My DD name is Merlin and he has been on his meds for only 4 months and he is back to his old self. Full of piss and vinegar and getting into trouble whenever he can. He is definitely a one person dog when it comes to hunting and discipline but he gets along well with most people. At 85 lbs he does tend to intimidate people who dont know him. There have been more then one repair guy who refused to come in the house until he was kenneled. He sleeps on the bed next to my wife but has to have his own pillow fluffed before he lays down. He sits and stares at her until she fixes his pillow and then he is down for the night.

He is learning the grouse game and does ok on woodcock and excels in the water retrieving ducks or geese. He is fearless and has a fixation on furry critters. Lets just say there are no feral cats in my area. One night he killed a skunk in the backyard and I learned a bunch of new Spanish curse words from my wife. That dog was proud as hell running around the back yard carrying that skunk. Even been known to chase a moose or bear back into my lap when bird hunting.

I have three different breeds a GSP, A DD, and a Braque Francais. I love them all but the DD will be my choice going forward.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Gunner was hell on feral cats, coons, porcupines and skunks. He killed a lot of critters. If I was working in the woods he’d wait until I turned off the saw, bark to let me know he had something treed. I learned to just knock whatever out of the tree so he could kill it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had a dog with it.

But I got it. Inherited it from my mother. Same symptoms as above.

Take Levothyroxine every day for it.

Good as new for many years now.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
790 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,092 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.