I
What’s a good Carry holster for a 1911 full size
That won’t break the bank

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Get Tom to make you one. He does very nice work. His handle here is Triggernosis.

Instagram page at Tango_Alpha_Leather_Goods

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably not what you have in mind but I’ve found this to work well. Two pockets for mag’s, another small pocket and the main one will take up to a long slide 1911. Perfect for rambling in the Loess Hills. Works for either strong side by slanting the gun one way or another.

By Maxpedition.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Safariland makes a copy of the Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster.

You can get it on Amazon for $42.

You are going to have a hard time beating that for anything that is going to be decent. Many times guys don't want to spend the $$ on a decent holster, then what they end up with is something that is not comfortable, or does not hold the gun well, or does not conceal well, etc, etc. Then they end up just taking the gun off and leaving it under the seat of their vehicle or wherever and telling themselves that they will just go get it when a problem arises. The problem is that it never really works out that way.
A good belt and good holster go a long ways toward making sure you carry the gun every day. smile

Here is a link to the holster

https://a.co/d/cW3ug5c

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OWB or IWB?

World of difference with a full sized 1911.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About as important as the holster is the belt. I really like the Kore Essential ratchet type belts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Elpasso Saddlery #88 Street Combat

I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Owb, have a Glock compact for iwb
Just want a solid holster for carry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

You are going to have a hard time beating that for anything that is going to be decent. Many times guys don't want to spend the $$ on a decent holster, then what they end up with is something that is not comfortable, or does not hold the gun well, or does not conceal well, etc, etc. Then they end up just taking the gun off and leaving it under the seat of their vehicle or wherever and telling themselves that they will just go get it when a problem arises. The problem is that it never really works out that way.
A good belt and good holster go a long ways toward making sure you carry the gun every day. smile

Just ordered one to try out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Holding the weight of a 1911 makes the belt you use very important also. The Safariland IWB at the mentioned price would be hard to beat. I switch between IWB and outside and have used Kramer holsters exclusively for years, definitely not cheap but they’ll last for decades. I wish I could find tires that held up that well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
For a handgun that weighs in the range of a standard 5" Government model 1911, I find that an IWB holster is much more comfortable to carry for 12+ hours a day, versus an OWB. The lighter guns, such as a Glock, or S&W M&P (and similar polymer frame guns), an OWB rig is fine. A well designed IWB holster provides a more stable and secure option for the 1911 and definitely makes a difference when you carry every day.

That is why I personally carry my 1911s in IWB rigs more than any other method, on a regular basis.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Just ordered one to try out.

I almost grabbed one myself, but I refrained, as I have what I need at the moment. I have used a lot of Safariland products while working and in general they have been pretty good.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't run when I carry a 1911 or do any acrobatics. I put mine under my belt loop at the 3:00 position. Have been doing it like this for 20 years at least.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 03/25/23.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have a hard enough time keeping my pants on how does an iwb affect that?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Milt Sparks has or had the summer specials in stock as did Brownells just last week. A buddy got one and I can like it for sure.

But I’m a fan of their Versa Max II and I’m good with those for now. IWB just works for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rarely carry a 5" 1911 anymore, but I do carry a 4.25" Commander size most of the time & I've actually come to love appendix carry in a cheap(er) Cascadia kydex holster...............far, far better than any hip carry I've ever used for all day comfort & in any kind of sitting or standing position, especially in a vehicle. And much easier access sitting in a vehicle.

But, a for leather hip holsters, the Sparks Versa Max II (shown above) & it's clone the Brommeland, just can't be beat for IWB hip carry. They spread the weight & hug the body well.

Here's the Brommeland in a 5" & a 4.25"............the leather on the Brommeland is noticeably thinner & stiffer than the Sparks.

MM

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kydex paddle holster and a quality leather belt. Makes sure the holster has a retention device to hold the pistol in. Can be a "snap in device" or strap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Simply Rugged pancakes are worth a look. They can be worn IWB or OWB, even set up as chest rigs for field carry with the optional harness. I have them for J-frame, L-frame, and a CZ 75. Straps are available for a few extra bucks.

Just got a Muddy River Tactical Kydex IWB for my S&W 5.7. I got the optional claw that pulls the butt in against my body. That 5.7 is a full-sized pistol, but it’s well concealed in that holster with the claw. I also got the straps instead of one of the clips for extra security. Nice stuff, and until recently I’d never heard of the company. Seems like everyone and their mom is making Kydex these days.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this holster use this holster with a good belt makes carrying a 1911 a snap.

EZ Money

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been using Sam Andrews for over 30 years. Simply the best.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Sam......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.