Hop To
#18276086 03/24/23
T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am wanting to know if any of the coyote hunters on the fire use Tolling dogs. If so, what breeds do y'all like the best and why ?

Thanks

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
will follow this thread with interest

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had an Englisg Setter that would yowl on command. Whatever he said brought coyotes in very well, especially late Feburary into green up. I'd stake him out about 30 yards from where I was hiding them get him to yowl. I had to fasten him down as he would charge the coyote when it came into sight. That setter had plenty of heart but wasn't much of a fighter. He got the mindset from the German dogs he grew up with but not the ability.

My current "coyote toller" is a Prince Cavalier Spaniel/Shiht tzu mix. He is more of a decoy than a toller but he isn't afraid to sound off if a coyote is seen. His latest success is a coyote taken yesterday morning when I put him out to do his business.

I saw the coyote in the neighbor's field into the swamp about 400 yards away. Grabbed a call and the rifle then took up position behind the BBQ grill. Gave a couple squawks and waited. The mutt looked at me oddly as I had never done that from the house. The coyote popped out of the brush and ambled his way towards the house. The mutt spotted the coyote and began his challenge/warning bark. Coyote zeroed in on the mutt and when it crossed the fence to about 70 yards it got lead poisoning. It was a decent sized 40-ish pound male that is probably responsible for the tracks and droppings around the yard. Hope it is as it is getting near time to let the chickens start free ranging again.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use what we call decoy dogs but in essence they are tolling dogs. My dogs get used for a variety of things, trapline work, blood trailing, decoy work and will now be used for hog hunting. Right now, I’ve got a catahoula, a Lacy, a decker terrier and a cross between the decker and the catahoula. I like versatile hunting/bay dog type breeds and terriers. But I tell everyone the biggest thing is a dog with handle. I like some nose for the blood and they should all have some grit but you don’t want something too aggressive. Most dogs have the instinct. It’s a big game to them. My dogs are trained with shock collars on tone. They recall to the tone. That’s the biggest thing to me is them obeying the recall. I don’t like to let the dogs take the coyotes over a hill for very long. Plus I like to watch the action. I usually let them go back and forth 3 or 4 times then start the dirty work. Usually by that time the hook is set deep and they are as good as dead. I try not to let a pup get bit until he has his confidence built up. But working a wounded coyote will give them a healthy respect for an animal that makes his living killing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For whom the dog tolls, it tolls for thee......

IC B2

T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well unfortunately I don't have hogs to hunt, but I think I may get a tolling dog at some point in time

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
huntsman22, you're a Renaissance man, quoting John Donne (kind of)... who knew!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
very handy if trained

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good luck with Mtn Cur and Kemmerer cur dogs. My current has different breeds bred into him for purpose....

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I had an Englisg Setter that would yowl on command. Whatever he said brought coyotes in very well, especially late Feburary into green up. I'd stake him out about 30 yards from where I was hiding them get him to yowl. I had to fasten him down as he would charge the coyote when it came into sight. That setter had plenty of heart but wasn't much of a fighter. He got the mindset from the German dogs he grew up with but not the ability.

My current "coyote toller" is a Prince Cavalier Spaniel/Shiht tzu mix. He is more of a decoy than a toller but he isn't afraid to sound off if a coyote is seen. His latest success is a coyote taken yesterday morning when I put him out to do his business.

I saw the coyote in the neighbor's field into the swamp about 400 yards away. Grabbed a call and the rifle then took up position behind the BBQ grill. Gave a couple squawks and waited. The mutt looked at me oddly as I had never done that from the house. The coyote popped out of the brush and ambled his way towards the house. The mutt spotted the coyote and began his challenge/warning bark. Coyote zeroed in on the mutt and when it crossed the fence to about 70 yards it got lead poisoning. It was a decent sized 40-ish pound male that is probably responsible for the tracks and droppings around the yard. Hope it is as it is getting near time to let the chickens start free ranging again.
does any of the caller manufactures make a sound that duplicates a dog howling sounds to attract coyotes.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have run airedales, jagdts, jagdt/cur crosses my favorite, curs and a Draught/Jagdt cross. Depends what your running and what you need.
I am fortunate enough to use a dog year round. From daylight spring work, night thermal for recovery( a real time saver) and trapline work.
. They type of dog that works for you depends on your personality as much as the dogs. Terriers will require a heavier hand and sometimes a much heavier hand than most people like. Curs seem to want to please you same with the jagdt/cur cross. They seem to work alittle better for me. Have Draght/jagdt cross my first that's becoming a very good dog. I want a dog with a decent nose, alot of drive and enough grit to at worst be able to hold a cripple in place if need be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.