24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the Hornaday 160 FTX cannulured for the 308 marlin express to be the bees knees!

Like blackberries and vanilla ice cream!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
The Hornady 150 Interlocks do well in my 99s chambered for 300 Sav.

^^^ This. They also work quite well in the 30-06 and keeps inventory simple.

Dale

This space for rent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was/am a fanboy of the Speer 165 round nose. Down to my last box of them, and of course Speer seems to have discontinued them. Sierra 150's otherwise. All propelled by 4064 powder because I got good results with it early on and never felt the need to look further.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always loaded round nose bullets for the guaranteed splat factor in close-in hunting scenarios. (Undoubtedly all in my head, old tapes playing that were firmly planted there as a kid reading the gun rag propaganda back then.) But on the other hand, my viewing the .300 and its guns as strictly as a tool for woods work (and being cheap) the RN's served admirably. Were I taking pokes at deer across wide fields, canyons, and sage flats I probably would've changed my tune - but I also would've used a better gun for that purpose too (and did).

A few years ago I unexpectedly found myself seated watching a long wide hillside (an unplanned side trip during a hunting trip in PA's jungle-like flora) when out stepped a massive buck waaaaay over on the far side, 350+ yards away, and me sitting there with 165 RN's loaded pokey-slow in an iron sighted 99T - and absolutely no way to stalk closer. I sure wished I had my scoped M70 .30-06 sitting back at camp 60 miles away. That bruiser got a pass from me that day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I too load the Speer 165rn in my 300 savages. Moderate charge of rl15 crumples deer. I think I’ve got about 200-220 of them left. They only get shot to verify poi then go hunting. Wish Speer would do another run of them. Have also shot a few deer with 150 partitions and hornady 150’s. They all worked well.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those of you looking for Speer 165 RN bullets might look around right now. There are some available on a popular auction site.

LOL
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I believe the 300 is best at moderate speeds with a soft point bullet. I really liked the original Corelokts.
Speer and Sierra now. 150gn or there about at 250 yards max.
The round is capable of more, but I'm not.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
I believe the 300 is best at moderate speeds with a soft point bullet. I really liked the original Corelokts.
Speer and Sierra now. 150gn or there about at 250 yards max.
The round is capable of more, but I'm not.

My friend John grew up hunting with a 300 Savage that was his grandfathers. One time we were out in the mountains and I was shooting a 250 AI at 450 yards at a rock. He siad he wishes he could do that. I told him why can't you? He thought the little 300 wouldn't do it. I told him how to hold and he smacked that rock first shot! He was really surprised and it opened up his mind. It's not like the bullets hit 200 yards and fall to the ground. LOL

I've shot the .375 carbine to 500 yards and it's a friggen blast. Like shooting a 22LR at prairie dogs at 350 yards.

LOL
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Between now being shaky off hand, and liking soft recoil, my 30cals are limited.
My 250ai bolt gun and a rest now...

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear you, Giles. I'm the same way anymore. But for me it's a bunch of other similar cartridges and rifles. All good.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
was not a popular bullet for the 300 savage a 150 grain silvertip, I know i have a box in the cabinet I will never use and move it along if that someones 300 bullet of choice, i seen it a few years ago at a gun show and grabbed it just becasue.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The most accurate round I ever fired in my 300 is a 125 grain hand-load at 3,000 fps. I plan to try it on deer. All my stuff is still packed up in boxes from the move or I would post the recipe here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot 125 Grain Nosler BT over a Varget. Hammer on Antelope and deer.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by captjohn
was not a popular bullet for the 300 savage a 150 grain silvertip, I know i have a box in the cabinet I will never use and move it along if that someones 300 bullet of choice, i seen it a few years ago at a gun show and grabbed it just becasue.

IDK about in the 300 Savage, but I'm not a fan of the Winchester SilverTip. The only I have used are the original 200 grain 358 Winchester factory loads. Shot two whitetails with them and was NOT happy with the performance for what, by all rights, should be a bruiser load. Shattered on the shoulder of an average size PA buck at 45 paces. Put him down, but I expected more. They are too soft. I now have plenty of brass for that cartridge and I've relegated those old factory boxes to paper punching to get once fired brass for that gun.

I'm fixing to get started handloading 300 Savage and the experiences posted here have been very helpful. Thanks everyone.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I hunted with a 35 Remington I would shoot a deer though the front shoulder, break both shoulders most of the time. They would jump one time and not have an front legs to land on. The first ammo I found for the 250 were 100gr Silvertips. Had a deer come through the woods nice and slow. Shot him on the shoulder like I always did. He jumped and took off running, swung and shot him in the spine. The next day when I pulled the skin off, that front shoulder came off with the skin. Looked like a big gelatinous black mass. By then ST's were getting hard to find and I switched to 100 Remington CL's, AND, I never shot a deer on the shoulder again. I don't blame the Bullitt for my bad placement. I have no problem with 190 gr ST's in my 303.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was a little OT, I still have a stash of 180 gr CL's for my 300.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ive decided to stick with the 150grn SST but like cases for the 300 sav there are none in Australia so I will have to get a mate to post a couple of boxes over or maybe go speer hot core. There just isnt the demand for the 300 sav components here a great shame

Johno

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by johno
Ive decided to stick with the 150grn SST but like cases for the 300 sav there are none in Australia so I will have to get a mate to post a couple of boxes over or maybe go speer hot core. There just isnt the demand for the 300 sav components here a great shame

Johno

Hey is Woodleigh back in business yet? Their 225 round nose is now my go to bullet in my 358 Winchester and I am running low.

Originally Posted by JoeMartin
AND, I never shot a deer on the shoulder again. I don't blame the Bullitt for my bad placement.

I'm not going to argue about the importance of bullet placement. It's a great skill to learn and hold on to, especially since it entails the ability to shoot well and exhibit patience (an underrated skill for hunters!). BUT, with deer, some cartridges need less "finesse" so to speak. For instance, my 35 Whelen, using a good 250 grain bullet, can shoot through an entire whitetail from any angle. Now, by "any angle", I mean the the bullet can hit the vitals from any angle. I would never punch one through the gut.

But I once took a nice PA buck that was standing looking straight away from me at about 70 yards. He was on a slight up angle, so the top of his body at his shoulders was higher then his butt. I simply aimed at the spot where the tail meets the body. The 250 grain broke his pelvis, went over the gut, hitting the top of the liver and proceeded through the heart lung region and out the front base of the neck. He might as well have been hit with Thor's Hammer.

That is the kind of performance I expect out of my 358 as well, maybe a little less but with whitetail, plenty enough.

Would I have attempted that shot with a 250 Savage, or any 25 caliber using 100 grain anything...................HECK NO!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a deal on terminal ballistics research annealing the SST bullet. Looks like he uses a candle.

Let’s face it Hornady seems to be the only dependable source for economical bullets any more.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Angus1895
There is a deal on terminal ballistics research annealing the SST bullet. Looks like he uses a candle.

Let’s face it Hornady seems to be the only dependable source for economical bullets any more.
I remember reading that. Found it interesting.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.