24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the other interesting things about this rifle, the King rifle and any other rifle that was ordered by an employee and finished thereafter is that a finished receiver would need to be totally disassembled, finish removed and then engrave hardened steel.
If I understand the normal production process, the engraver would get unfinished receivers with "soft" steel making engraving easier than hardened steel.
Engraving of a finished rifle can all be done, but with extra effort.

Not sure about the checking. Can checking be done over a finished stock/fore? I suppose it matters whether the finish was oil or gloss finish.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I HAVE to ask. With the vast knowledge base here, has anyone ever heard of this guy, Spittler?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What I understand he was a foreman of the stock shop and a master engraver himself.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
What I understand he was a foreman of the stock shop and a master engraver himself.

Just to be clear. What I maybe should have asked was, had anyone knew of him before Joe's rifle.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Not sure about the checking. Can checking be done over a finished stock/fore? I suppose it matters whether the finish was oil or gloss finish.

Standard protocol is to checker after finishing, no matter if an oil finish or a barrier finish.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Stephen, there’s a very informative article on the Iroquois Arms Collectors website about the Newton Rifle that indicated a group of 5 or 6 Savage Arms employees travelled ‘up the Canal’ from Utica to Buffalo in 1916 to work at The Newton Rifle Co.
The article indicates that John Spittler was foreman of the stock making department and principal engraver at Newton until his return to Savage. There is a portion of this aforementioned article in the John Spittler Savage Arms thread that Joe Brady started here several days ago.
I know very little about Savage Arms history , but I came across John Spittlers name and his association with the Savage Arms Co, while looking for info on an engraved Newton Rifle 4 or 5 years ago.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the overall photo the checkering looks like grade C. Maybe he engraved it on his own time before the rifle was blued.
But I have seen several rifles where additional factory engraving was added later and the bluing doesn't look touched up. For example my F engraved rifle. It was at the factory for 5 years before it was shipped to the owner whose name was engraved on the bottom of the receiver. I doubt if he ordered it in 1901 and it didn't get shipped until 1906. Therefore his name was probably engraved on the rifle about 1906. But then again maybe it was engraved in 1906. However, it is matching #'s with high grade wood, C checkering and pistol grip. It was probably all done at once. But then "With Savage Never Say Never".

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Stephen, there’s a very informative article on the Iroquois Arms Collectors website about the Newton Rifle that indicated a group of 5 or 6 Savage Arms employees travelled ‘up the Canal’ from Utica to Buffalo in 1916 to work at The Newton Rifle Co.
The article indicates that John Spittler was foreman of the stock making department and principal engraver at Newton until his return to Savage. There is a portion of this aforementioned article in the John Spittler Savage Arms thread that Joe Brady started here several days ago.
I know very little about Savage Arms history , but I came across John Spittlers name and his association with the Savage Arms Co, while looking for info on an engraved Newton Rifle 4 or 5 years ago.

Thanks Ted. I appreciate it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
It was probably finished say 1902 and whoever ordered it died.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
That was at Newton Arms. And I'm not sure about the "master engraver".. haven't seen a source for that. Engraver, yes. Not sure what makes an engraver a "master engraver"?

I found that a John Spitler was registered as a Savage Arms toolmaker in 1918. We all know how those toolmakers are. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
OK. I HAVE to ask. With the vast knowledge base here, has anyone ever heard of this guy, Spittler?
I'd feel a lot better with more and definitive information on both Spittler and King regarding their engraving.
Not too many generations removed from King's work, his family is adamant that King engraved what is known as the King rifle. That is believable.
Spittler is brand new to me and Joe's research indicates the rifle was shipped to him and that he had connections to Newton, Savage, stock making and engraving. That's believable too.
"The information is out there, just let it in."
The thirst for knowledge continues....

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Are there enough examples out there to rule out it being done by Gough or Rentschke?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Are there enough examples out there to rule out it being done by Gough or Rentschke?
Rentzschke was ~1955-60.
Gough came to Savage from Fox ~1930. Is known to have contracted earlier. Gough was kind of high brow and generally selected the most ornate jobs that challenged him.
This rifle was born in 1909.
Dates don't seem to match.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ok. Says it was sent back to Savage in 36 but the story i got was for a shorter barrel. Was the job recorded for that or to be engraved?? At this point im really not concerned about it. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Gough came to Savage from Fox ~1930. Gough was kind of high brow and generally selected the most ornate jobs that challenged him.

Well this rifle seems to certainly qualify in regards to being an ornate job. And we know the rifle went back to the factory in 36

So....

Why not?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 99guy

Gough came to Savage from Fox ~1930. Gough was kind of high brow and generally selected the most ornate jobs that challenged him.

Well this rifle seems to certainly qualify in regards to being an ornate job. And we know the rifle went back to the factory in 36

So....

Why not?

Excellent point Randy, a shoemaker certainly didn’t carve and checker the stock and engrave Joe’s gun.
“With Savage Never Say Never”

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've seen a few other rifles that Gough seems to have engraved that were in the B, C, etc engraving styles.

Gough engraving on those rifles definitely did NOT look like Enoch Tue's versions.

This being a Gough engraved gun was one of my initial guesses, even before he got the letter saying there was a work order for the 30's.

But if Stippler engraved for Newton.. still possible it was Gough, but I'd lean towards a guess that it was his own work.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
That’s why I asked if anyone had ever seen a confirmed factory engraved Newton Rifle. There is one example of a factory engraved Newton Rifle on the NRA Museum website and the engraving while nice doesn’t approach the quality of the engraving on Joe’s rifle. Just saying that if Spittler engraved the Newton Rifle in the NRA Museum he couldn’t have engraved Joe’s rifle.
Another salient point is that an awful lot of Gough’s engraving is executed over stippling.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
You did mention Gough Rory before i even bought it but with the back story i just dismissed it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok. Says it was sent back to Savage in 36 but the story i got was for a shorter barrel. Was the job recorded for that or to be engraved?? At this point im really not concerned about it. Thanks.
I think you are on the right track.
You've got some pretty good information already.
Obviously questions remain.
If/when other information, proof, theories come available, explore them and maybe the picture will become more clear. Takes time.
If it's any consolation, I think the King rifle sold last time for ~$49k. Granted, King is known as carver for Savage and Winchester. And the King rifle is carved. But it does have debatable engraving too.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.