Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by DanLee
The 99 is a controlled-feed gun and the extractor should be engaged with the cartridge rim and holding it against the bolt face as it rises from the magazine. Your first picture doesn't show that. Make sure you are loading the magazine with the cartridges as far back as possible.
Thank you DanLee.

GB1

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So here’s the latest:

I dismantled the entire rifle with exception of the cartridge guide (left that in place). Reassembled to gun, placing 1-turn of tension on the rotary magazine. Feed problems continue and are worse… feels like too much tension. My next step is to reduce tension by one notch.

Loading cartridges to the back was something I was unaware of as well. Will head that advice. Seems like the rotary magazine was an incredible design - but very sensitive to a variety of variables.

Any other thoughts? I could replace the guide and try it out - but as indicated by a previous colleague’s post - getting a punch dead nuts on the two pins is a challenge and likely better done with younger eyes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since my 1952 EG is very similar, but chambered for the 250-3000, I am watching your progress. Learning along the way.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I reluctantly step into the fray to add my 2 cents worth:
1. On the carrier, make sure it is clean before you attempt to preload the torsion spring. I rotate the spindle to the first notch after the guide stops the carrier and try it. If it seems too weak, rotate 1 more notch and secure it. I do not increase preload beyond that setting.
2. The cartridge guide is to me the deepest mystery in the 99 legacy. There are more than 2 dozen of them, and none to my knowledge ever marked with their caliber at the factory. Having the correct one can be crucial as gnoahhh previously stated. I would look for evidence that yours has been replaced before I started a treasure hunt for the right one. The pictures in Numrich are in some cases notional, as you are discovering.
3. On several occasions, I have solved feeding problems by modifying or changing the auto cutoff to control the position of the round to be chambered. This usually happens only with rifles that have been altered. The difference in cutoffs is far more subtle than in guides, but does exist.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.