Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bought a XL camo blaze orange Pack Vest from Cabela's 15 years ago. Has metal snaps, pockets top, hands, inside and a pack compartment on the rear. Made out of a quiet and strong material and that is the final layer for me. When I went back home to Colorado where blaze orange camo is not "legal" I whip stitched a silk like solid blaze over it at the shoulders and chest. It's a great garment and it is a 100% part of my hunting kit. I have a camo orange wool felt western brimmed adjustable hat for the top layer on my head. It too goes every time.
I just took a look at their website and they don't appear to sell it anymore.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear both-- a vest and a coat.

When I start out in the morning, I am usually wearing just a sweater with a light hunter orange vest over. When I get to the stand, I crawl into my clown suit: a set of insulated bibs and parka for warmth. As I'm leaving, I throw those back in a duffle bag and walk out in the vest.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Blaze orange vest with rear game pouch to go over other layers.

Go Ahead And Backup
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Light vest.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Light vest. Outer layers are packed while walking in....I have enough trouble sweating with just a base layer top and loose vest. I'd be steaming in a coat.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We need to be 50% above the waist blaze orange not including the sleeves. What I’ve found works the best for me is a black and orange knit camo acrylic vest that goes over anything. Mostly that anything is a Gore-tex lined camo fleece uninsulated jacket. A heavier orange goose down puffy pants and jacket are in the pack.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vest. I never know what coat I'm going to be wearing, might be zero, might be 75 degrees. Typical vest is a fleece Cabelas dad bought me years ago. But have a handful of those cheapy walmart ones in my pack/duffles/totes just in case an extra is needed.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I usually wear the blaze orange Cabela’s guide vest with good pockets and back pouch if I’m not wearing a pack. I think that model is discontinued. It’s blanket weight and adds to layering. I like to stuff my coat in the back pouch while walking to prevent overheating. I have a blaze camo one that’s legal in WA and elsewhere. I always wear an orange hat while walking regardless of whether the rules require it or not. If I’m 20’ up a ladder stand or in an enclosed blind, I ditch the light colored blaze stuff. If someone shoots at me inside my shooting house, I doubt it’s a case of misidentification.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
i wear a fleece camo vest, oversized to go over layers as needed. It has pockets on each side on the front. One is for my GMRS+x-batteries, the other for my GPS + x-batteries,

I also carry an orange beanie/ball cap for travelling in and out and a mesh orange vest to put over game if I am packing it on my back.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 03/29/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on the law in the jurisdiction where I'm hunting. If orange is required, I have an ultra compact orange mesh vest over whatever clothes fit the temps and exertion.

It wads to small fist size and I carry it in my daypack whether required or not because it makes a big marker to see from across a canyon, etc. if I hang it over a down critter or a spot I want to mark.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Years ago I read that deer were thought to see blaze orange as white. True or not, I suspect that it appears bright to them just as to us. For that reason, I try to avoid that color or any other bright ones on my arms and hands because they are moved the most and I don’t want to wave a bright flag. I have a couple of orange vests, but my favorite is on I made by cutting the sleeves off of a “Winchester” fleece jacket I found at Whatamart. It’s a jumbo size, even for me, and has zippered pockets, plus it adds a layer of warmth. Fits over anything, even my Filson Double Mac.

A few years back, my wife bought me a Bemidji blaze hunting jacket, made of 30oz wool. It’s a lot lighter than the Filson, even with the heavier-weight cloth, and is a good jacket for when I want to go light. Gotta watch that movement when wearing it though. Nice stuff, Made in America.

Actually, the color they see is a washed-out yellow, a bit like freshly-turned maple leaves.

Here are the details:

What do deer really see?

I agree that arms and hands are probably the parts that move around the most, but over the past 20 years, I've realized that deer really could care less. I hunt in a full day-glo Clown Suit. Deer treat me like I'm part of the forest.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Honestly, if I could hunt in blaze camo, I would. However, KY says only unbroken hunter orange is legal-- at least a vest and hat.

Last edited by shaman; 03/29/23.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wear either a camo orange vest or a orange cape over a light wool jacket. I'm far more concerned with the deer seeing movement and a solid shape than I am color.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
I have a blaze orange shell that I wear over my coat. I can adjust my layers to match the weather, then have the shell to cover the result. I've even taken my coat off and just worn the shell when dragging to not get sweated up.
This works well for me, too, along with a blaze orange ball cap or toque.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it is a vest. One year it got up to 78 degrees in South Dakota during deer season. That yea I was wearing a blaze orange sleeveless Tee shirt,

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Vest. It is big enough to cover any jacket.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Orange camo fleece half vest. Had it for probably 25 years.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Orange vest[Levi chewing tobacco giveaway]
Orange ball cap or beanie[weather dependent]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Years ago I read that deer were thought to see blaze orange as white. True or not, I suspect that it appears bright to them just as to us. For that reason, I try to avoid that color or any other bright ones on my arms and hands because they are moved the most and I don’t want to wave a bright flag

I have called numerous deer to within 10 feet while wearing a blaze camo jacket. I'm more than convinced they can't detect me based on on color or "brightness". Movement and scent will get ya busted for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m generally not super picky especially if I’m going to be in a high stand where I don’t think it’ll be very important what I’m wearing. My blaze orange gear is usually intended for walking from one destination to another during deer season so I’m more concerned about what hunters see and less about what the deer see.

I have an insulated puffy jacket from Haglöfs in Sweden for cold days:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here I’m doing a bit of squirrel hunting with a pneumatic rifle in a WMA I don’t expect deer hunters to be in (centerfire rifles prohibited area). I still want to be safe because I’m on the ground so I have on a Primos vest:

A 50k trail run sweatshirt & a Carhartt beanie. I shot a deer at 156 yards a few minutes after taking this photo:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
neither...hat only

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.