DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
My understanding was one full length beds the barrel and floats the action.

By design, you are right. I believe this was Ruger's intention with this type of action. Mine is similar to how DF did his, except I did not bed the rear of the receiver. It does not need it really. My way of thinking is it only has one action screw, so bed under that area. The proof is obviously on the target downrange, as I always say. That is really the only way you know what really works. Again, not that my way is the only way, but what you see with a lot of 10-22's is "unexplained" fliers. What you don't get with my rifle shown above are those weird unexplained fliers. Ammo choice has a lot to do with that as well, but for the most part if you use a good ammo and it's properly glass bedded, you reduce those weird fliers. A properly bedded rifle with a good barrel is going to produce some very good accuracy. Another thing I'd like to hit on is the stress a heavy barrel puts on that aluminum receiver. This is another reason I like some support under the barrel out closer to the forend tip. This can all be tested and confirmed with business cards placed inbetween the stock and barrel. When you find the shim thickness that works the best, make note of that, use those as shims and epoxy bed that area of the stock. When done, you can pull those shims out, as the barrel will now sit on the epoxy bedding pad. Greatly reducing the stress on the aluminum receiver. It's also now a 2 point bedding system, as I previously mentioned in an earlier post. It's all mechanical and no rifle likes pressure on its receiver. That usually has a negative affect on accuracy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bsa;
Good afternoon once more, me again and I still hope you're having a good day.

Thanks for the kind reply, I appreciate it.

Thanks as well for getting the mental gears turning again, because although you didn't ask me this, I have used either SteelStik or it's cousin when I was repairing woodworking machinery.

It worked great and honestly I'd never considered it for small confined bedding jobs until I saw your post..... and the light went on!!! laugh

Yah, I can see using that on a few things actually, so thanks again.

All the best.

Dwayne

Ha ha. I'm glad if it helped my friend. Not to give away more of my tricks, but I use that in a lot of my Savage bolt action rifles. Especially the ones with plastic stocks. One of my favorite rifles, I sold to a buddy, was bedded with just that. That rifle is so dang precise and it doesn't care how many shots you send downrange on target, it keeps them right in there. It was one of my favorite "sleeper" rifles. My buddies at my club hated it when I brought that rifle out to our hunting rifle shoots. I even took it to some of my clubs "precision" rifle shoots, rather than actually bringing my "precision" rifles. I'd post pics of how that rifle shoots, but this is a 10-22 thread. But I guarantee it's just like the rest of my rifles. You guys are making me want to go and buy some ammo I saw the other day:

And maybe even another 10-22 to play around with. Maybe even do a thread on accurizing one.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This is the end product.

DF

That is a sweetheart, now lets see the proof of the pudding. That means target pics!!!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It shoots little bitty groups, don’t have pictures.

With the can, subsonics do great on squirrels in my yard. Loudest sound is the bolt closing. No complaints from the squirrels.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Strangely enough, I agree with Stick. Bed the barrel and free float the action. I helped a buddy with his years ago.

Yes, Stick is on Ignore but I'm not always logged in when I read the posts...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That works.

My thinking, even though the Clark barrel is a press fit, the barrel is connected to the receiver on the bottom. By pulling up against that connector, seemed to me at the time to help solidify that type connection by pulling against it. Just my thinking.

With a tight barrel to receiver fit, bedding the barrel and letting the action float should be as good.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
Strangely enough, I agree with Stick. Bed the barrel and free float the action. I helped a buddy with his years ago.

Didn't even see his post, but he is more than welcome to post up his group pics as well. That is really the only true test and proof. Guys can claim they have the best shooting 10-22 on the planet, but without proof, it's just another azzhat making stupid claims.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Didn't even see his post, but he is more than welcome to post up his group pics as well. That is really the only true test and proof. Guys can claim they have the best shooting 10-22 on the planet, but without proof, it's just another azzhat making stupid claims.
Posting pictures on the internet doesn’t mean anything. I can shoot a hell of a target group at 10ft, post it on the internet as 100yd.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bedding the first 1" of the barrel and the receiver front and back seems to work for me, there are prob other methods that work well also.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50

Posting pictures on the internet doesn’t mean anything. I can shoot a hell of a target group at 10ft, post it on the internet as 100yd.

And you would be a lying mother fu cker too. If that is the type of thing that you get off on then so be it. But there is a special place in hell for you and people like you. I shoot competitively and belong to a few clubs that know me very well, so I have nothing to prove. EVERY target pic I post is honest. Shoot against me and find out. I'll make note of the fact that you are a lying pos.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

And you would be a lying mother fu cker too. If that is the type of thing that you get off on then so be it. But there is a special place in hell for you and people like you. I shoot competitively and belong to a few clubs that know me very well, so I have nothing to prove. EVERY target pic I post is honest. Shoot against me and find out. I'll make note of the fact that you are a lying pos.
You seriously need to take a deep breath. Reread what was written, I wrote "can" not "do". The point being faking a target is as easy as typing a false group size, if a person is lying in their written statement they can be lying with their picture. I've never posted a target picture and probably won't ever bother. If you are local we can certainly meet at the club for a shoot. I too belong belong to a few cĺubs and have a couple targets pinned to the wall.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’ll settle it… next time I’m going to shoot it at 25yds and not shoot it quickly or in the Z pattern!

Gotta pump up my internet cred!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poor poor(literally) Beezer,is perpetually at the mercy of her Imagination and Pretend,which reliably transport her to places that don't exist...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless her heart for trying though.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Well, just as long as the powder burns don’t show.

DF

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've a goodly herd,including S/S receivers,both threaded and slip-fit. Bed the spout and float the receiver. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Hint received and taken seriously. Thanks

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've a goodly herd,including S/S receivers,both threaded and slip-fit. Bed the spout and float the receiver. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Hint received and taken seriously. Thanks
Threaded barrel fit is probably hard to beat for a stiff barreled action. Press fit is OK. Just want a solid set up for best performance.

Vibration can be an issue regarding stellar accuracy. Damping those vibrations are never a bad deal. I think bedding the lug then torquing the action screw works pretty well.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess and have ALL the T-shirts. Hint.

Nothing dampens,like FL Neutral Bedding and especially when a strip of RTV is incorporated in the channel,or better yet 5200. Hint.

Hell...most are stumped with base/ring/optics. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.