Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
To be clear I am looking for first long range specific rifle. I’m new to this so bear with me on terminologies I’m sure I will mess some things up. I currently have several sporter rifles including Tikka‘s and older Remington‘s. I’ve been shooting to 500 yards with them and feel pretty comfortable. I moved out to 700 and was having trouble. But I’m really enjoying it and want to take the next step. I’m not even sure what the next step looks like but wanting to hit 700+.

There are two new in box rifles a buddy of mine has and he will sell me either. Ruger Precision in 308 or 6.5CM.

As far as price, I’d like to keep it in the $1500 range. I would bump up a little bit if it would get me a whole lot more. I have a scope and rings so that is for the rifle.

Wondering if these would be good options for taking the next step.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How much do you want to spend?????

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
How much do you want to spend?????

Thanks for the reminder I always forget to include that. I edited the original post but looking to spend around $1500. Already have glass and rings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The first,next and last step,is trigger time. You'll not shoot anything thus far cited,enough to make a fhuqk. Optics and mounting systems matter too. Hint.

Go Barkin' Arken on a Vudon't and actually fhuqking LEARN something,from actually shooting. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 4-16x 34mm's Mil/Mil's are a fhuqking STEAL and amazingly reliable. 6x MQ's are simply nowhere to be found,or would be the very obvious nudge. Hint.

The 10x MQ ain't horrid and available,though I prefer rear parallax control,which is subjective. They will eat a MT 30MOA rail(all they had in stock on my last order),as well as a full 40MOA in 'Horn rings,for 70 MOA total inclination. That will leave 38 or 39 Mil's of erector travel available,from a 50yd zero. Hint.

Thank me later..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Stick,

That Annie has a 75 MOA base, hence the zero offset rings?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a 280 ai on the classifieds right now that is loaded with a vx5 and components available that will definitely work for what you want. It might be a little more than 1500 but buy once cry once.
Buddy of mine once said.
"Cheap ain't custom and custom ain't cheap"
--remington classic

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
David,

I had Bob at D.I.P. build me a run of 75 MOA1913 extended rails for Annie 54's. To date,I've yet to encounter a 54 that wouldn't accept 75 MOA of inclination,with a 6x or 10x MQ and yield a 50yd 22LR zero. My 1717 D HB 'Hummer wears same and a 125yd zero. The guy with the most inclination and erector travel,never don't not win. Said system tends to yield 40 MOA on the erectors,with 10 Mil's laying in wait on the reticle,for a total of 50 Mil's,which is the 700yd line in my atmosphere. Hint.

So with the 75 MOA inclination of the rail,"flat" rings are the correct approach. On say a Vudoo 60 MOA rail,'Horn rings brighten the horizons,by adding more available erector travel to the equation. EVERYTHING below zero on any/all erectors,is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Nothing is more FUN or will teach more,than Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP, what scope do you have? That’s probably the most important part of this TBH.

If you have an appropriate scope, and since you own Tikka already, a Tikka in 6.5 CM would likely not suck. You’ll likely want to use a long box and modify the bolt stop, but you never know, might shoot great even away from the lands.

Personally? Go 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) on a short action M700 using George’s reamer spec and laugh all the way to the bank. Unfortunately you’ll be going to the bank to get money to try to buy brass <g>. But other than that it’s awesome. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Jeff,

I have a SWFA 10x and a Trijicon 4-16x50 in Mil.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Proficiency can't be purchased and it's never been difficult to savvy,who shoots and who don't. Hint.

The Astute will learn more in a single outing with a Skookum 22LR,than a "life" spent with an esoteric Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

That's why this schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS,as Droolers do their best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
copy

Originally Posted by Big Stick
David,

I had Bob at D.I.P. build me a run of 75 MOA1913 extended rails for Annie 54's. To date,I've yet to encounter a 54 that wouldn't accept 75 MOA of inclination,with a 6x or 10x MQ and yield a 50yd 22LR zero. My 1717 D HB 'Hummer wears same and a 125yd zero. The guy with the most inclination and erector travel,never don't not win. Said system tends to yield 40 MOA on the erectors,with 10 Mil's laying in wait on the reticle,for a total of 50 Mil's,which is the 700yd line in my atmosphere. Hint.

So with the 75 MOA inclination of the rail,"flat" rings are the correct approach. On say a Vudoo 60 MOA rail,'Horn rings brighten the horizons,by adding more available erector travel to the equation. EVERYTHING below zero on any/all erectors,is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Nothing is more FUN or will teach more,than Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Hint.................

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
To be clear I am looking for first long range specific rifle. I’m new to this so bear with me on terminologies I’m sure I will mess some things up. I currently have several sporter rifles including Tikka‘s and older Remington‘s. I’ve been shooting to 500 yards with them and feel pretty comfortable. I moved out to 700 and was having trouble. But I’m really enjoying it and want to take the next step. I’m not even sure what the next step looks like but wanting to hit 700+.

There are two new in box rifles a buddy of mine has and he will sell me either. Ruger Precision in 308 or 6.5CM.

As far as price, I’d like to keep it in the $1500 range. I would bump up a little bit if it would get me a whole lot more. I have a scope and rings so that is for the rifle.

Wondering if these would be good options for taking the next step.

Shooting steel or paper primarily?
Do you reload?
Are you interested in a specific long range discipline?
Personally, I would look at some different rifles than the Ruger.
Tikka, Bergara, and maybe even one of the newer Remington 700’s

One of the best gifts you could give yourself, is to get some basics down on the fundamentals of shooting, and in long range shooting.
That can be done through classes that are available throughout the country, and then what would be cheaper in the long run, is finding a mentor.
Are there any PRS,NRL, or F-Class matches near you?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What are you shooting now, and what`s the problem to 700?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

I have a Tikka T3x in 7mag and a M700 in 308. Both Sporter barrels.

I was shooting a 10” plate and missing all over. Most shots barely missing. Did clip it once. Barely on the edge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If this hasn't been said already, kiss, find pressure, rock on.

I've found that where I have mag length to spare, many of my problems are fixed by seating the bullets to where they just touch the lands.

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One more thought from the short bus…. it’s certainly possible to shoot light rifles well and it’s something to aspire and effort towards. But it’s much easier to shoot heavier rifles well. Less recoil, and much less finicky with respect to right hand technique, and variances in whatever you are using as a front rest, being three big reasons. On that note you should run your triggers really light IMHO and that’s especially true of lighter rifles.

That’s my experience anyway. I don’t have a heavier factory build to pimp as I haven’t been following what the rifle makers are offering these days. My personal heavy-ish rifle is a 24” Sendero-profile tube in the HS stock Remington used to use in the Sendero. Short action, 7 WSM, love the thing and shoot it very well.

Can’t help but say that your 7 mag Tikka should have great potential… wonder why it’s fightin’ you…

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was shooting a 10” plate and missing all over. Most shots barely missing. Did clip it once. Barely on the edge.

What bullets? Hugely important.

Try 162 and 180 ELDM’s in the 7 mag, driven by 7828 SSC, if you haven’t already.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a 22LR that weighs over 19lbs,with a billet loaded mag. Hint.

I have some Flyweight Rimfire Bitches too. Hint.

NOTHING will as quickly and reliably resolve abilities,as fast as a Skookum 22LR. There's MUCH to be said for seeing what the fhuqk is going on,during trigger break,bullet flight and impact. There are lots of ways to get there and I have all the T-shirts. A Vudon't with a 10x MQ and 70 MOA of extended 1913 inclination,will PINPOINT exactly what the fhuqk is going on and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Teeker do no .284" favors,especially in 7mm RemMag due COAL latitude,RPM and throat geometry. Hint.

That's why this schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS,as Droolers do their best! It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't. Hint.

In "fairness",I only have (5) 7 Whizzum's and a goodly herd of 7mm RemMag's. I'll be unwrapping yet another 700 Custom 7mm RemMag,after a right proper GrandBaby Nap. I'm fairly certain,it was riding Dutch with the 7" RPM 223 Salami Custom 700,I unwrapped earlier today. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Both capable rifles/cartridges. What do you have on top for a glass? If you`re comfortable to 5, might just be a matter of reading conditions better than what you are doing now, and that takes some practice. Something most people aren`t willing to do with the rifles their going to hunt with.

BTB, if you are able to shoot these rifles 1 inch or under at 100, it`s not the rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

What bullets? Hugely important.

Try 162 and 180 ELDM’s in the 7 mag, driven by 7828 SSC, if you haven’t already.

OK sounds good I will definitely try those. I have shot someone 62s they were factory and all I’ve shot that I loaded for 160 Accubonds

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.