Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just traded into a 50s 270 SG that most would turn their noses up at. Marbles front and rear sights, cut stock with red rubber pad and old Leupold 3x9 scope. Traded an older model 29 S&W I’ll never use and am tickled. Grew up using a non SG version and foolishly traded it off for a German 7 mag Weatherby that was beautiful but kicked like a mule and patterned. Who says you can’t go back.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Watched a SG 3006 on gunbroker go for $1375+ tax and shipping last week. It was just shooter grade but that kinda gives you the idea. A nice SG would be 1800+ I'd think.
This was a pre 64? That’s a steal and I sure missed that!

Edit – never mind, I looked back through my watchlist and I did see it. It was pretty rough.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/976158194

That one has seen a lot of use, plus the stock has been refinished. Not all original. Whoever said a "nice SG would be 1800", has a few screws loose. The one posted from gunsinternational is a "nice" one and it went for $3,400.00. It was also not there for very long, so that makes a pretty bold statement.
Yessir that's the one. It was indeed very rough, and I wasn't convinced the stock was original. Checkering didn't look right to me so I passed.

The reason the checkering does not look "right" is because it's been sanded down when they refinished the stock and then applied the finish right over the checkering. Very rookie job IMHO..

I know where 1 supergrade pre 64 30-06 is and it is $1,000.00. The stock has been cut and recoil pad added and there was also a diamond insert in the stock. That one was $1,000.00 and definitely a "shooter". Quite a bit nicer than that heap posted from GB though..

I only meant that the starting price for a nice SG would likely be around 1800. Though one never knows what deals can be found. Obviously that can go up quickly depending on caliber and condition as seen in the case of the one sold at 3400.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think in Supergrades, the best buys are ones you can live with that aren't collectible. As noted above such as non-original recoil pads, actually common on rifles typically fifty-eighty years old! Determine whether pad, if any, is yet supple and Just watch for any significant undesired alteration of length of pull! The other thing is of course prewar's with scope holes since they weren't D&T from the factory. The caution is that such rifles prior to about 47 or so not "factory tapped" is that often the whole spacing is weird. May work or not! The 3-=-6 chambering is most common and thus typically least valuable simply based on availability. I believe it was about '48 as the intermediate "Tilden Safety" was factory. No big deal for most folks. On the prewar, the so-called "flag safety" weren't "scope compatible".
As noted, the Monte Carlo stock arrived in early fifties and if you want such Supergrade, just be aware that the Stock receiver tang had gone from so-called "cloverleaf" to late model in latter forties. Not interchangeable! A matter of recent note, large caveat re any rifle with receiver sights. Typically stock inletted and unless your plan to keep such, an ugly large scar the residual receiver area wood!

For your purposes, any residual items which may have resulted in stock alterations need to be accounted. Those SG rifles were pricey for a reason. One that 'damaged goods' may be worse than an unadorned specimen.
The more good photos you can get in reference to any purchase possibilities of rifles not subject to hands-on inspection, the better!

There are yet a host of 'other modification possibilities' but such are the most common fatal flaws to a collector or points of negotiation to such as handsome rifle buyers.
Good luck & best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
I think in Supergrades, the best buys are ones you can live with that aren't collectible. As noted above such as non-original recoil pads, actually common on rifles typically fifty-eighty years old! Determine whether pad, if any, is yet supple and Just watch for any significant undesired alteration of length of pull! The other thing is of course prewar's with scope holes since they weren't D&T from the factory. The caution is that such rifles prior to about 47 or so not "factory tapped" is that often the whole spacing is weird. May work or not! The 3-=-6 chambering is most common and thus typically least valuable simply based on availability. I believe it was about '48 as the intermediate "Tilden Safety" was factory. No big deal for most folks. On the prewar, the so-called "flag safety" weren't "scope compatible".
As noted, the Monte Carlo stock arrived in early fifties and if you want such Supergrade, just be aware that the Stock receiver tang had gone from so-called "cloverleaf" to late model in latter forties. Not interchangeable! A matter of recent note, large caveat re any rifle with receiver sights. Typically stock inletted and unless your plan to keep such, an ugly large scar the residual receiver area wood!

For your purposes, any residual items which may have resulted in stock alterations need to be accounted. Those SG rifles were pricey for a reason. One that 'damaged goods' may be worse than an unadorned specimen.
The more good photos you can get in reference to any purchase possibilities of rifles not subject to hands-on inspection, the better!

There are yet a host of 'other modification possibilities' but such are the most common fatal flaws to a collector or points of negotiation to such as handsome rifle buyers.
Good luck & best!
John

The problem with supergrades is they are always going to be expensive. When at the gunshops, they hold them in high regard, even if they don't know what they have. They could have a lot of work done to them, but the shop owners think because its a supergrade, it's got to be worth 3 times as much as a standard grade. Even one that has been faked. A lot of shop owners don't know what they have. Generally one of the reasons buying a supergrade can be a real challenge. It's best to have it in hand and be sure you know what you are looking at. Even if you have to consult a book or professional. Check everything and be sure it is exactly what it's supposed to be. I had an opportunity to buy a real nice 220 swift supergrade a few/5 years ago. It belonged to the original owner and he told me the barrel had been changed out by Winchester, it had also been glass bedded. The rifle was beautiful, but obviously well worn. He said he would take $1,000.00 for it, but I wasn't sure if I wanted one in 220 Swift. Now I'm kicking myself in the azz because even though it was re-barreled, it would have been worth the money. One thing I always think about when it comes to the supergrade model is something my smith told me a few times. He always warned me, that "supergrades are easy to fake". He said, if he could do it, "anybody can". Just something to think about.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like anything else they are as you find them. I was at a gun show yesterday and saw a mint 270 featherweight for $6900.00. I don’t need one, but that would have been a scarce one to own.

I have 2 and am only interested in varmint calibers, so I have a 220 Swift and a 22 Hornet. The Swift is in good shape, I got it for what I would consider a steal at $2500.00, the Hornet, however, was not a steal, but mint and early 1950’s for $6,000.00.

If it were me, I would probably go for a 270 and look for a nice one and I think you could find one in the mid 3’s and be quite happy…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I agree I am going to have to pay mid 3k to get what I am looking for. I would probably lean toward a 30-06 or 300 h&h but I already have a nice featherweight 270 and a nice standard 30-06.

I have been looking at all the detailed pictures of the super grades wherever I can find them. I understand how to look at the stock and metal refinishing. Is the the main thing to look for on the metal the engine turning and the stamping on the barrel and receiver??

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ldg397
I agree I am going to have to pay mid 3k to get what I am looking for. I would probably lean toward a 30-06 or 300 h&h but I already have a nice featherweight 270 and a nice standard 30-06.

I have been looking at all the detailed pictures of the super grades wherever I can find them. I understand how to look at the stock and metal refinishing. Is the the main thing to look for on the metal the engine turning and the stamping on the barrel and receiver??

All depends on what era of SG you are looking at.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack

All depends on what era of SG you are looking at.
Yep.

Get a copy of Rule and study it. It will be the best $100 spent towards your purchase.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The WACA sight is also tremendously helpful. A couple of the guys over there, in addition to some of the posters on this thread, are some of the true experts.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Rule book just haven’t dove into the super grade specific items yet because I rarely see one in the flesh and until now were out of my collecting zone due to cost. Now I want to make an effort to change that.

Last edited by ldg397; 03/27/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a Rule book just haven’t dove into the super grade specific items yet because I rarely see one in the flesh and until now were out of my collecting zone due to cost. Now I want to make an effort to change that.

I wish you luck man. A nice supergrade sure would be a cool one to have. STD or FWT, wouldn't make much difference to me. They are still pretty sought after. I hope you find just the right one..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Watched a SG 3006 on gunbroker go for $1375+ tax and shipping last week. It was just shooter grade but that kinda gives you the idea. A nice SG would be 1800+ I'd think.
I will buy a pickup load of pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Super Grades in any and all calibers for $1800. True SGs not some counterfeited guns.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Had you posted yesterday, I would have said this one.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-pre-64-super-grade.cfm?gun_id=102256462

That one is nice. And not priced too bad.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Great find AK..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Robb10238
I just traded into a 50s 270 SG that most would turn their noses up at. Marbles front and rear sights, cut stock with red rubber pad and old Leupold 3x9 scope. Traded an older model 29 S&W I’ll never use and am tickled. Grew up using a non SG version and foolishly traded it off for a German 7 mag Weatherby that was beautiful but kicked like a mule and patterned. Who says you can’t go back.

Robb, it's not that we are "turning our noses up" at some of this stuff. Some of you guys may think that and get butt hurt, but if we see something that is out of the ordinary and we don't say something and someone here buys it, thinking it's "all original" or "as described", then we've actually failed you. I'll bet if you post up pics of your rifle and it's a good looker, there are many of us that would appreciate that. We are not all collectors of only original rifles here, a lot of us actually get out there and use these things. We appreciate a good "shooter" as well as any collectible and always welcome eye candy here.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Nice gun.
That’s not the correct front sight.

Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Nice gun.
That’s not the correct front sight.

Is it the sight or sight hood that is incorrect? Trying to learn, thanks!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Redfield #254 Gold Bead is correct front sight for that gun
$300.00 to $500.00

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You’re a blood hound AK….

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 41 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.