Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CCI Quiets are OK out of a few of my rifles. CCI Quiet "Semi-auto" are better and still pretty quiet. The CCI "Supressor" is the most accurate of the bunch in a few of my rifles and I like the 45 grain bullet. Groundhogs don't care for them much at reasonable ranges.
I would pick the supressor if you can stand just a bit of noise but not the CRACK if standard velocity.
Good Luck to you!
Rick

Last edited by RickinTN; 03/29/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not terribly conversant with what's out there for subsonic .22 ammo. I'm referring to the really quiet stuff labeled "CB-whatever", not necessarily .22LR Subsonic rounds.

I've dabbled with the stuff, and was gifted a brick of W-W .22 Long CB-Match a couple years ago that is wonderful for backyard safaris here in suburban Maryland, but alas it's about used up and I need to find a substitute. (That CB-Match stuff filled the bill perfectly - accurate and quieter when fired out of long barreled target rifles than Pugs' suppressed .22's.) But the stuff isn't around anymore and I'm led to believe it's discontinued. Dunno.

Aguila any good? Something out there I never heard of? I'm all ears.

P.S. Don't suggest the obvious by saying it's time for a suppressor. Every .22 I own is either a rather valuable vintage gun or such that it would be criminal to thread the barrel for a suppressor, and new purpose-built .22's ain't in the cards unless someone wants to donate one.

As other have said the CCI Quiet are pretty quiet out of a longer barreled 22 LR.

If you need some kind killing power that is probably the best bet. There is a segmented HP version.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Many thanks Dan.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Winchester 67 and CCI CB's are a pretty good working combo. Minute of cathead out to about 30 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gnoahhh,

As you already noted a long barrel helps to keep the noise down significantly.

I shoot CCI Standard Velocity out of a CZ with a 24.+ inch barrel and it is hearing safe and very accurate. About $450/case right now (that's shipped).
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...40-grain-lead-round-nose-0032-p-895.aspx
Ten shots CCI SV @ 50 yards out of a Tikka T1X, the black square is one inch;

I had two cases of CCI Quiets. I dedicated a Remington 580 single shot with a 4X scope for the round. No where as accurate as CCI SV, but quieter. I used it on eggs at 50 yards and surprisingly even with the poor trigger on my 580 I could almost do as well as I could with CCI SV in my CZ (Shooting offhand). I could never get these to run in a Ruger 10-22 until I took Volquartsen's 22 short Kit and tweaked it for the Quiets (Also tweaked this kit to run 22LR Birdshot). The "Semi-Auto" 45 grain Quiets which CCI came out with later ran in my 10-22 just fine though.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...40-grain-lead-round-nose-960-p-3345.aspx

I tried CCI segmented Quiets in my 580 and was disappointed only because they did not hit to the same point of aim as the regular 'Quiets'. However, it was much better for vermin.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...-segmented-hollow-point-970-p-58637.aspx

I tried CCI CB Shorts (in a LR chambered rifle) & Longs, Aguila Colibri, Aguila Super(?) Colibri and Aguila 60 grain SSS. None were accurate enough for a head shot beyond about 12 to 15 yards. Colibri's come with a warning about sticking in rifle barrels, however, I never had a problem.

For those with 22 Short chambered rifles, the CCI CB Shorts and Target Shorts are both extremely Quiet. The CB's were as accurate as the Target Shorts in my rifle, however the target shorts are approx. 100 fps faster.
Browning SA-22 in 22 Short;

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
For "quietude" in my unthreaded rifles I use CCI Target Shorts my Winchester 1885 and Remington 551. Seem to shoot better than the CB loading and still very quiet. The 551 will also digest the LR Quiets well if I feel the need for a little more bullet weight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dinny
CCI makes CB Longs and I have found them to be more accurate in LR chambers than any of the CB Shorts I have tested.

That was the nice thing about these WW CB match that they were made on a .22 Long case. I may find a few more around to pass to Gary as a Christmas gift but everything is in the process of being packed for the move from MD to NH. I know what I packed but I bet I''ll still be surprised when I unpack. grin

This is the stuff. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900129854

Last edited by Pugs; 04/02/23. Reason: add link

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
cci quiets, I've shot a lot of the aguila colibris with good success but now only use the super colibris, they are a little faster and I've never had one get stuck in barrel like the regular colibri.

cci quiets out of my win 74 are stupid quiet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the yard, I shoot colibris out of the revolvers and cci cb shorts out of the rifles.

The little shorts penetrate surprising well and are very quite out of a 20” or so barrel.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,118
Posts18,464,562
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.