Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Today I picked up a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57. What a delightful, whispy thing. No scope, yet. Haven’t shot it.

It’s an ounce over 6 pounds, bare.

Two weeks ago I sold No. 1s in .280AI and .257 Weatherby. Too heavy for my hunting. The 10 should be perfect for mule deer and elk in the Idaho mountains.

Of course, over the last two years I’ve purchased a .270 Win, Mountain Rifle, a .284 Win. in an Alpha Arms Grand Slam, and an Ultra Light Arms 7mm-08. Plus my two delightful .257 Roberts rifles.

I sure need the snow to melt so I can go shooting. wink

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seller doesn't have any other 10's he wants to sell does he?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For purely personal reasons that don't always make sense, I sometimes associate specific calibers as being more "appropriate" for certain types of guns. While there's absolutely no technical reason a Dakota Model 10 shouldn't be chambered in something like 6.5CM, to my tastes & preferences, a Model 10 with a classic caliber like 7x57 is a superior combination. It's the right kind of chambering for that particular rifle. I have a Ruger #1 RSI in .275 Rigby that I love. A couple of years ago I scrapped together every penny I could find and bid on a really nice case-hardened Model 10 that was beautiful. My winning plan was that everyone else with good taste would fall asleep or their internet would stop working as the auction clock wound down. Things did not go my way as the final bid was almost 2x my amount. Well at least you get to enjoy one. Congratulations on your new purchase!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was to ever own another single shot, a Model 10 would be it.

I would probably lean towards a 270 since I have plenty of supplies for such, but a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57 would also be very desirable.

Enjoy that rifle! Have handled a few of them and they are a joy!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You gotta post up a picture of that bad dude. I've dreamed of a Model 10 for years and that caliber is perfect for the 10.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Purchased a used Dakota Model 10 in 25-06AI last year. Not my first choice in caliber but it was in excellent condition and being offered at a very attractive price. Possibly because of the caliber.

Accuracy is superb both with standard 25-06 factory ammo as well as 25-06AI reloads.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tom, we need pics, love Model 10s, mine is 257 Roberts......

Tim

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dakota dreams went out the window when they went out of business. They are nice rifles though.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Gonna take a good workout program, so you can tote those 6 or 7 lightweight rifles up a mountain.

Seriously though, Great Find!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tom

Jealous I am - but wish I had known you were looking to sell a #1 in 257 Wby. I have been looking for one for a while, one of the things I just want. Bought a #1 in 9.3x74R instead since I found a nice one...

RAS

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I have come very close to buying a M10 at least a thousand times...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I’m embarrassed about it, but I can’t figure out how to post photos here.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by TomGresham

At least on picture posting I am your equal. I can’t figure it out either.

But I don’t have a Dakota model 10...

Last edited by Anteloper; 03/28/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10's are very nice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’ll be 50 in a couple months.
I’ve got a point in life where I’ve done okay financially and have a few toys.
I’m also at the age where I’m admitting there a few things I’ll never own or do that I thought I would someday when I was 20.
A nice double rifle, an African Lion Hunt, and a Dakota Model 10 are all three towards the top of that list.

Oh well, Geedubya makes me feel poor every time he posts, I guess I’ll be able to look at pics of Tom’s Model 10!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What, no pictures

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Gotta have pics!
How else can I drool and live vicariously through someone else’s gun purchases!

Admittedly, due to it being a pain in the ass vs. other sites, I’ve never posted the first pic here.

Last edited by Potsy; 03/29/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This will take longer for you to read than it will to actually do it. I can take a picture and have it posted in under 30 seconds. Go ahead and try it, if it posts as a broken link, leave it up, we can troubleshoot with a broken link on what went wrong.

1. go to https://postimages.org/

2. click on "choose images" in the middle of the screen
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3. find the picture on your device (this works from either a computer or an iPhone, I assume an android phone is similar) and select it.

4. let it upload, it will show a status bar of 20%, 25%, 60%, 90%, 100%, and then that bar goes to 'completed'. This might take 5 seconds or 10 seconds or 30 seconds or be instantaneous, all dependent on your upload speed, but just give it a second to work.

5. Find the line of code at the bottom for 'hotlink for forums' (see my blue arrow). Either copy that entire line manually, or, click where my red arrow is pointing, it will copy the whole string for you. One simple click is all that is needed, and it will have a momentary popup saying 'copied' that disappears in a second.

6. Come back to 24hourcampfire and paste that whole string in your reply box. (you can delete the extra URL stuff, but must keep the stuff between brackets containing anything with IMG in it. The stuff highlighted in yellow in step 5 is what you will be pasting here.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CRS
If I was to ever own another single shot, a Model 10 would be it.

I would probably lean towards a 270 since I have plenty of supplies for such, but a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57 would also be very desirable.

Enjoy that rifle! Have handled a few of them and they are a joy!

Yep, just tell the wife you saved money on this #10 because you already have the .270 Win brass and dies!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cheesy

This will take longer for you to read than it will to actually do it. I can take a picture and have it posted in under 30 seconds. Go ahead and try it, if it posts as a broken link, leave it up, we can troubleshoot with a broken link on what went wrong.

1. go to https://postimages.org/

2. click on "choose images" in the middle of the screen

3. find the picture on your device (this works from either a computer or an iPhone, I assume an android phone is similar) and select it.

4. let it upload, it will show a status bar of 20%, 25%, 60%, 90%, 100%, and then that bar goes to 'completed'. This might take 5 seconds or 10 seconds or 30 seconds or be instantaneous, all dependent on your upload speed, but just give it a second to work.

5. Find the line of code at the bottom for 'hotlink for forums' (see my blue arrow). Either copy that entire line manually, or, click where my red arrow is pointing, it will copy the whole string for you. One simple click is all that is needed, and it will have a momentary popup saying 'copied' that disappears in a second.

6. Come back to 24hourcampfire and paste that whole string in your reply box. (you can delete the extra URL stuff, but must keep the stuff between brackets containing anything with IMG in it. The stuff highlighted in yellow in step 5 is what you will be pasting here.

Yep. It's that easy, and do-able the same way with several image hosting websites. I signed on with Imgur years ago. It takes longer to upload images from my phone or camera than to post images from the site to here.

I too have dreamt of a Dakota 10. Had one in .22 Hornet in my hands at a time when I was flush enough to swing it, but every time I moved my hand toward my wallet....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Let’s give it a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let’s give it a try.

Easy peasy.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here’s a photo of the Model 10 I bid on a couple of years ago. I didn’t win it so I only have the picture to sigh at wistfully. They are some pretty rifles:

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Let’s give it a try.

Beautiful!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
nice

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I saw this had sold. It's a very nice rifle in my favorite caliber. Years ago I lusted for a M10 but just couldn't warm up to that big ass recoil pad. My smith has built me several guns on Ruger #1 actions and a High Wall for a comparable price point BUT if I find a M10 that I like it will come home with me. Missed one in 22 Hornet a little while ago. There's a nice 7X57 on GI now but I have three custom guns in that chambering.
Congratulations on the adoption of a very nice rifle and yes posting pictures here is a pain for me as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've posted it here before, sorry for the repetition but there seems to be a consensus that this thread needs pictures.

6.5X55. I bought it from the original owner several years ago. It's been shot little or not at all. Last year I got another M10 that I plan to shoot and this hangs on the wall with an uncertain future.

It's value to me is as art. I'd offer it but you nuts would probably take it in the woods...Tom

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by thomasconnor; 04/02/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thats a gorgeous rifle in a great caliber. Is the pad leather covered ? I would hunt with it....but carefully

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Let’s give it a try.

A lefty! I haven't seen such a right-brain equipped M10 before. Do you feel like you paid more or less than a similar RH model?

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My guess is he paid less since i almost bought it! I’m still kicking myself for not bidding🤦🏻

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thomasconnor
I'd offer it but you nuts would probably take it in the woods...

Guilty as charged: I hunt with everything I buy! That’s a beautiful gun in one of my favorite calibers so please don’t make it available at a price I can afford. I’ve already blown my budget recently & I don’t need any additional temptations. laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Thats a gorgeous rifle in a great caliber. Is the pad leather covered ? I would hunt with it....but carefully

Yes it's leather...Tom

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd offer it but you nuts would probably take it in the woods...Tom

Put it in the classifieds and see what happens. I can visualize it being carried in the Badlands of North Dakota looking for giant Mule Deer or along the Cheyanne River bottom of Wyoming and along the coulees where deer and antelope roam. Possibly just being propped up against the wall of a Michigan deer blind just being admired during the slow times.

Life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Beautiful rifle! As are the others posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing the photo of it.

Perhaps later we'll see some field photos!

Regards, Guy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Let’s give it a try.

OMG

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's my Dakota M10 in 257 Roberts I got from Gun Broker a couple of years ago. The seller had misspelled the word "Model" in the listing so there was only one other bidder. Still not inexpensive, but not as bad as it could have been.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Such a beautiful action and barrel that in my opinion is overwhelmed by wood that exhibits way too much figure and color contrast. It’s a beautifully engineered and crafted action but you don’t see it with this package unless you look hard and dial it in. There is such a thing as aesthetic balance and guys like Pachmayr and several others knew it was key to a really timeless beautiful rifle or shotgun.

Rick

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
IMHO there gorgeous rifles and a testament to the craftsman who build them especially nice is that 6.5X55. It could live in my gun safe

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beautiful model 10!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Model 10's are a fine rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bid (a lot) for a Model 10 in 7mm Dakota a couple months ago, that was just jaw-droppingly beautiful. Brass for the Dakota cartridges is problematic, and is what finally stopped me from raising my bids any higher. One of these days I should grab any brass I find, in case a rifle turns up!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There was a 257 R for sale here a few years ago. Attractively priced and I seriously considered it. I have a 257 R built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action so I passed. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Brass for the Dakota cartridges is problematic...

FYI - Lance Hendershot loads six of the Dakota calibers. Buying some boxes from him might be an expensive way to start but at least you would end up with some brass afterwards if you really found something you liked.

https://hendershots.net/product/7mm-dakota-extreme-custom-ammo/

Another option would be to settle for a more common caliber. Here's a 30-06 that will be up for auction in a month that I stumbled across while surfing this week:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/88/3639

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one in 7x57 also, not as pretty as yours but a delight to carry. I longed for one as well for years-

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone know why Dakota quit mounting the rear base on the receiver? Was it an option?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by odonata
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Brass for the Dakota cartridges is problematic...

FYI - Lance Hendershot loads six of the Dakota calibers. Buying some boxes from him might be an expensive way to start but at least you would end up with some brass afterwards if you really found something you liked.

That's extremely helpful, thanks!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mounting the rear base on the receiver adversely impacts accuracy. Never known Dakota to do that except perhaps in the very early days.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That honey colored Turkish Walnut goes with the M-10 really well. The #1s have Turkish on them also, but the color selection is not near as artistic. I talked to the wholesale walnut guy from Turkey that sold Ruger the stock blanks, so not a guess. But is an example of the difference in execution, plus market.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Dakota Model 10, 7mm-08

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya

Dakota Model 10, 7mm-08

ya!

GWB

Holy crap!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I look every day for one in either 243 or 6.5X55.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got a beautiful Miller in 7x57 Ackley, that my Dad had built. I try to post pictures shortly.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am (financially) happy to stick with my Ruger #1, but GEEZE these things are beautiful. Plus, all the pics are of something I would actually want in a Dakota, like a 7x57, 6.5x55, .257 Roberts, etc. If someone posts a 35 Whelen I might actually have to log off for a while to gather my thoughts...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have lusted for them for years but have had custom single shots made for less than I could buy a comparable Dakota. My first Dakota deal is done. I just made a deal on the most beautiful Dakota or any other single shot for that matter that I've ever laid eyes on. The rifle alluded to is the 6.5X55 shown earlier in this thread.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have lusted for them for years but have had custom single shots made for less than I could buy a comparable Dakota. My first Dakota deal is done. I just made a deal on the most beautiful Dakota or any other single shot for that matter that I've ever laid eyes on. The rifle alluded to is the 6.5X55 shown earlier in this thread.

Great choice.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I recently sold my 10 chambered in “the Bob”. It was a great rifle but the wood was not exceptional. Money talks so I said bye.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Mighty Fine!

Enjoy!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
never really seriously considered a dakota until I stumbled upon this thread...you guys are a bad influence!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
never really seriously considered a dakota until I stumbled upon this thread...you guys are a bad influence!

If you ever need encouragement to spend a lot of your money, you can always count on us. The last Dakota I missed out on at auction was a left-handed Model 76 in 7mm-08. So I just wanted to be sure you knew that there are additional styles to choose from that you can deplete your bank account on. You’re welcome.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my friends let Don talk him into a 7X65R Model 10 when they first came out, loaded her up…first three shots weren’t on paper at 50 yards, back it went. Came back in a week or so, dang thing put three inside an inch at a 100.

His first 76 was a running joke, they had not used any release agent (it had a synthetic stock, maybe Brown) when they bedded it. He got the stock off somehow and had it re-stocked and re-barreled to .330 Dakota. It had a fabulous piece of wood, and put five Jensen 250’s in an inch of you could handle the recoil.

The 10 was one of the real beauties of the single shot world, IMO. Always wanted one, but I had a practical hunting rifle…ULA Model 24 in .270, just never had enough money at the time to own more than one $2000 rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've lusted after a Dakota M10 in 7x57 for years. Wonder if I'll ever find one I can afford?
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was watching Ron Spomer shoot his model 10 the other day. It was on youtube and one of the few guys I care to listen to there. They look like nice shooting rifles. Very classy and beautiful too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A stunningly gorgeous rifle in a great calibre. Green with envy.

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Theres a nice one on GI for a more than fair price the problem (if you can call it that) it's a 375. There's a sever shortage of dangerous game here in Michigan but damn thats a nice rifle

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Have you ever noticed that certain types of rifles have "enablers" attached?

I thought one in 30-06 and 7-08 would cover all my needs. Love the though of the classic 7x57 or the "Bob" though. However, currently on the path of a simple but customized Mauser with a 20" barrel and a full Stutzen (manlicher) style stock as a hunting rifle.

But man, I think the M10 is one of the best looking rifles ever and some of you are giving me envy. Isn't there something about not causing you brother to stumble and lust? 🙃

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been doing some load development for mine and 43 grains of IMR 4350 and a 140 grain Hornady SST is under an inch. Caliber is 6.5X55

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GSPfan, please remember it comes with a money back guarantee....Tom

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beauty.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is simply gorgeous, Tom!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I appreciate that Tom BUT it shoots as good or maybe better than it looks if thats possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.