Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Today I picked up a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57. What a delightful, whispy thing. No scope, yet. Haven’t shot it.

It’s an ounce over 6 pounds, bare.

Two weeks ago I sold No. 1s in .280AI and .257 Weatherby. Too heavy for my hunting. The 10 should be perfect for mule deer and elk in the Idaho mountains.

Of course, over the last two years I’ve purchased a .270 Win, Mountain Rifle, a .284 Win. in an Alpha Arms Grand Slam, and an Ultra Light Arms 7mm-08. Plus my two delightful .257 Roberts rifles.

I sure need the snow to melt so I can go shooting. wink

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seller doesn't have any other 10's he wants to sell does he?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For purely personal reasons that don't always make sense, I sometimes associate specific calibers as being more "appropriate" for certain types of guns. While there's absolutely no technical reason a Dakota Model 10 shouldn't be chambered in something like 6.5CM, to my tastes & preferences, a Model 10 with a classic caliber like 7x57 is a superior combination. It's the right kind of chambering for that particular rifle. I have a Ruger #1 RSI in .275 Rigby that I love. A couple of years ago I scrapped together every penny I could find and bid on a really nice case-hardened Model 10 that was beautiful. My winning plan was that everyone else with good taste would fall asleep or their internet would stop working as the auction clock wound down. Things did not go my way as the final bid was almost 2x my amount. Well at least you get to enjoy one. Congratulations on your new purchase!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was to ever own another single shot, a Model 10 would be it.

I would probably lean towards a 270 since I have plenty of supplies for such, but a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57 would also be very desirable.

Enjoy that rifle! Have handled a few of them and they are a joy!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You gotta post up a picture of that bad dude. I've dreamed of a Model 10 for years and that caliber is perfect for the 10.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Purchased a used Dakota Model 10 in 25-06AI last year. Not my first choice in caliber but it was in excellent condition and being offered at a very attractive price. Possibly because of the caliber.

Accuracy is superb both with standard 25-06 factory ammo as well as 25-06AI reloads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom, we need pics, love Model 10s, mine is 257 Roberts......

Tim

21 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Dakota dreams went out the window when they went out of business. They are nice rifles though.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Gonna take a good workout program, so you can tote those 6 or 7 lightweight rifles up a mountain.

Seriously though, Great Find!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tom

Jealous I am - but wish I had known you were looking to sell a #1 in 257 Wby. I have been looking for one for a while, one of the things I just want. Bought a #1 in 9.3x74R instead since I found a nice one...

RAS

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I have come very close to buying a M10 at least a thousand times...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I’m embarrassed about it, but I can’t figure out how to post photos here.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by TomGresham

At least on picture posting I am your equal. I can’t figure it out either.

But I don’t have a Dakota model 10...

Last edited by Anteloper; 03/28/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10's are very nice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ll be 50 in a couple months.
I’ve got a point in life where I’ve done okay financially and have a few toys.
I’m also at the age where I’m admitting there a few things I’ll never own or do that I thought I would someday when I was 20.
A nice double rifle, an African Lion Hunt, and a Dakota Model 10 are all three towards the top of that list.

Oh well, Geedubya makes me feel poor every time he posts, I guess I’ll be able to look at pics of Tom’s Model 10!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What, no pictures

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gotta have pics!
How else can I drool and live vicariously through someone else’s gun purchases!

Admittedly, due to it being a pain in the ass vs. other sites, I’ve never posted the first pic here.

Last edited by Potsy; 03/29/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This will take longer for you to read than it will to actually do it. I can take a picture and have it posted in under 30 seconds. Go ahead and try it, if it posts as a broken link, leave it up, we can troubleshoot with a broken link on what went wrong.

1. go to https://postimages.org/

2. click on "choose images" in the middle of the screen
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3. find the picture on your device (this works from either a computer or an iPhone, I assume an android phone is similar) and select it.

4. let it upload, it will show a status bar of 20%, 25%, 60%, 90%, 100%, and then that bar goes to 'completed'. This might take 5 seconds or 10 seconds or 30 seconds or be instantaneous, all dependent on your upload speed, but just give it a second to work.

5. Find the line of code at the bottom for 'hotlink for forums' (see my blue arrow). Either copy that entire line manually, or, click where my red arrow is pointing, it will copy the whole string for you. One simple click is all that is needed, and it will have a momentary popup saying 'copied' that disappears in a second.

6. Come back to 24hourcampfire and paste that whole string in your reply box. (you can delete the extra URL stuff, but must keep the stuff between brackets containing anything with IMG in it. The stuff highlighted in yellow in step 5 is what you will be pasting here.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CRS
If I was to ever own another single shot, a Model 10 would be it.

I would probably lean towards a 270 since I have plenty of supplies for such, but a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57 would also be very desirable.

Enjoy that rifle! Have handled a few of them and they are a joy!

Yep, just tell the wife you saved money on this #10 because you already have the .270 Win brass and dies!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cheesy

This will take longer for you to read than it will to actually do it. I can take a picture and have it posted in under 30 seconds. Go ahead and try it, if it posts as a broken link, leave it up, we can troubleshoot with a broken link on what went wrong.

1. go to https://postimages.org/

2. click on "choose images" in the middle of the screen

3. find the picture on your device (this works from either a computer or an iPhone, I assume an android phone is similar) and select it.

4. let it upload, it will show a status bar of 20%, 25%, 60%, 90%, 100%, and then that bar goes to 'completed'. This might take 5 seconds or 10 seconds or 30 seconds or be instantaneous, all dependent on your upload speed, but just give it a second to work.

5. Find the line of code at the bottom for 'hotlink for forums' (see my blue arrow). Either copy that entire line manually, or, click where my red arrow is pointing, it will copy the whole string for you. One simple click is all that is needed, and it will have a momentary popup saying 'copied' that disappears in a second.

6. Come back to 24hourcampfire and paste that whole string in your reply box. (you can delete the extra URL stuff, but must keep the stuff between brackets containing anything with IMG in it. The stuff highlighted in yellow in step 5 is what you will be pasting here.

Yep. It's that easy, and do-able the same way with several image hosting websites. I signed on with Imgur years ago. It takes longer to upload images from my phone or camera than to post images from the site to here.

I too have dreamt of a Dakota 10. Had one in .22 Hornet in my hands at a time when I was flush enough to swing it, but every time I moved my hand toward my wallet....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.