Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know this topic already has been discussed, but I didn’t see my specific question addressed in that thread, which is also nearly 5 years old.

I’m wanting to buy a revolver to carry for CO archery elk to be able to legally fill a rifle Bear tag that is valid in the same season. CO law specifies a minimum of 550 ft lbs at 50 yards to use for big game. While I have little doubt a 45LC cowboy load, or comparable 44 special load would get the job done at around 350 ft lbs, I do intend to follow the rules. My 357 easily meets the requirement, but I would prefer a heavier/larger bullet AND less noise. I would like to work up a load to be 550 - 600 ft lbs at 50 yards. Something in the neighborhood of 300 grains at 1050 fps.

I’m wondering which cartridge would be recommended to minimize hearing damage in the event I fired without protection in place. This thought stems from encountering a bear that I would have shot if I had this revolver last year.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
4” 629 250 at 1100.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Look thru some reloading books until you find something that you like. FWIW, no load in 44 or 45 is quiet. You will have to come up with the formula to convert bullet weight /velocity = energy. Something over 1100 fps/ 240+ gr. should get you there

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In my opinion, you're looking at the equation wrong.....you should be asking which 44 Mag AND 45 Colt should I buy! LOL grin

Honestly as it appears you are a hand loader it all boils down to which YOU prefer. I happen to love the 45 Colt, but have several of both flavors. Truth be told, I spend more time loading for, carrying, and using the 45 Colt. My hand cast, powder coated Keith SWC's come in at 280 gr and pushing them to 1,050 fps out of a 625 Mountain Gun , or a Blackhawk works for me.....

Good luck with your choice!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Glock 20’s are cool revolvers that hold 15 rounds and the means to attach a light.

I ain’t sure if they make the energy mark though.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
any difference in muzzle blast will tend to favor the 45 . It operates at a lower chamber pressure than the 44 for equivalent loads

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You will cause permanent and non-repairable hearing damage/loss if you fire a .44 or .45 without hearing protection. You may not notice it initially, but such things are cumulative.

As to your question, honestly there is very little difference between a 300 grain .44 magnum and 300 grain (or projectiles in that approximate range).45 Colt pushed in the velocity range of 950 to 1050 FPS.

Pick the platform you like the best and go from there.

More often than not, in factory guns the .44 Magnums tend to be more accurate (on average) than .45 Colts. This is due to the fact that many .45 Colt cylinders tend to need to be reamed to a uniform throat diameter. That is not a hard process, and a competent person can do it. Or you can send your cylinder out to have it done, or a good local smith can handle it.

It is hard to beat either one, and once you have a good one, they are very versatile, with the ability to fire loads from very mild such as .45 Colt Cowboy (which is a .45 Colt case cut down to .45 ACP length) to top end loads that border on the 454 Casull. In .44 Magnum, it is the same. You can go from super heavy loads, down to .44 Russian, which is the grandfather of the .44 Magnum, and has recoil in a large frame revolver similar to shooting .38 wadcutters.

Either will work for your needs.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was a 44 mag fan for the majority of my life…..however in the recent 10 or 12 years have learned the advantages of the 45 LC ….if hand loaded pretty warm with a quality bullet!

The 44 mag still has the advantage with a flatter trajectory, making long shots a bit easier…..but, for pure stopping, the 45LC had the advantage! memtb

Some data you may find interesting!

https://n4lcd.com/calc/

https://gundigest.com/handguns/hunting-guns/hot-rodding-45-colt

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Penetration+testing+Big+Bore+Handguns%3a+we+pit+a+.500+Nitro+Express...-a086704793

Last edited by memtb; 03/28/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a Ruger NMBH 4 5/8" in 45 Colt and a SBH 4 5/8". I don't load heavy bullets. 240-250 grs.

I've not noticed any noise difference. But my hearing hasn't faired well with age. Loads between 1200 and 1300 fps are to my perception brutal in the 45 but more tolerable in the SBH.. But I have wider grip panels on the 44.. When I had a CO bear tag, I packed the 44.. But that's because it was newer than the 45., and I wanted to use the newer gun.

For most of the 20+ years I hunted elk in CO I packed a 4" model 29 S&W.. It carries a bit easier than the hog-leg Rugers. But it's not a Ruger, and hasn't endured as well as a Ruger.

The SBH has a lower hammer spur. Some like that. I prefer the higher spur. The grip frame and ejector housing on the 45 are anodized aluminum. I prefer the extra steel on the SBH..

If a coin with a red Ruger emblem and a black emblem on opposite sides could be found, it could be flipped to make the choice. But then that leaves out the silver emblem.

It's a hard choice. I can understand the dilemma. :-)

Last edited by Earlyagain; 03/28/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Either will work. I've carried both at different times of life. Do you have a gun in either cartridge now? If so, use it. If you have both .. flip a coin. If you have neither, check on what's available, both guns and loading components.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you specify Ruger, 44mag.

If you buy a 45 Colt, you will likely have to finish the gun but reaming the throats.
Not a big deal. Just a known detail Ruger has been getting wrong for 50 years.

Like both, prefer the 45.
4 5/8" makes my 45s nice to carry.

10 1/2" makes the SBH nice to shoot.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have neither, and have not found any local stores carrying the ones on my list unfortunately. I’m basically exclusively interested in DA.

The only thing steering me towards 44mag is the better carry options. I’m very intrigued by the Model 69. My only real choice (that I’m aware of) without spending a LOT more is a RedHawk for 45LC, and even those are hard to come by at a reasonable price.

10mm was a thought, it does just barely meet the legal requirement. However everything I have read indicates 44mag and 45LC have significantly better killing capability. Plus I really want a beastly revolver, would make for a fun range toy.

Last edited by Ramsdude47; 03/28/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Keep in mind the 45 Colt doesn’t have to exaggerate its girth. The .429 magnum stamps its feet and demands to be recognized as a 44. grin

All kidding aside either are great. Both will drive heavy bullets well.

Last edited by mart; 03/28/23.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Model 69 is probably the best option you have given your requirements and I would let that dictate your caliber choice. Coming from someone who has owned dozens of N-frames, Ruger SRHs, RH, BH's, flattops, etc.

The M69 is very tough, very light (will carry like your 357) and because the bore axis is noticeably lower, has less felt recoil than an 4" N-frame with the same loads, despite weighing less.

I hate the way it looks but after I got an M69 I slowly got rid of my other big bore revolvers. Still have an SRH that's about to go to Hamilton Bowen for a 45 Colt conversion.

I'd get a 4" M69 and not think about this anymore. My carry load is a 250gr WFN or LFN under 10.5-ish grains of Unique or N350 for 1050-1075 fps. It's much quieter than a 357 with full power loads.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Fantastic replies, I knew I could count on the pros!

I would add I never have and never intend to fire without ear pro, but my field pro has 1) significantly lower decibel reduction than my range pro and 2) has popped out inadvertently in the field on me. There are also days where I forget it entirely, since I’m primarily focused on archery elk, and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a Bear with my bow given the right shot. My situation last year was a very marginal bow shot inside 15 yards where we startled each other in brush. If I had a sidearm on me at the time I would have fired the arrow I nocked and then drawn my gun (with no ear pro).

Perhaps better field hearing pro suggestions would be warranted as well, lol!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The reason I added (Ruger) is because the Redhawk is my only option to shoot hot enough 45LC loads to meet the legal requirements that I’m aware of. At least that can be attained for the $$$ I’m trying to spend.

I was not aware of the cylinder issues, the only things I had read were that the 45 LC/ACP versions of the RedHawk had a very high lemon percentage.

I recently bought an older 357 Redhawk (thanks again Brett!), and while I love the gun it isn’t something I would be thrilled to carry miles away from roads - which is basically exclusively where I hunt.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have owned three Ruger .45 Colt revolvers, one Blackhawk, and two Redhawks. None of the three had any issues with chamber throats being uniform or being too small. All three were/are accurate.

While running around Bush Alaska, I carried one of the Redhawks for a while with CorBon, Buffalo Bullet loads, or my own handloads with nothing lighter than 250gr bullets loaded to ~1,000fps from their 5 1/2" barrels. Stout? Yes. Too stout? No.

Take your pick, but if push came to shove, a Mod 29 or 629 IS a lighter, easier to pack revolver.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you considered the S&W 329PD, a carry a lot, shoot a little, revolver just right for humping rough terrain.

Mackay can fix you up with .44 Special loads to practice with that are stout, 900 fps with a 240 grain SWC, but not quite full power .44 MAG stout.

I also have a 625 MG and prefer to carry the lighter 329 PD. It isn't a lot lighter, but it is enough lighter that you'll notice the difference after you've carried them for awhile in either a belt or chest rig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.480 Ruger, Bisley SBH 4.62".
.44 Magnum, same.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Always choose a gun & ammo that you are comfortable with. If you aren't practiced with it, you can fail in an emergency. A good 44 will usually shoot better than a 45 without some tune up work & 44 ammo is easier to come by than 45. Once you get your gun, practice & get first hit speed with it & either caliber will work just fine. Mackay Sagebrush can fix you up with some very good ammo when you're ready.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,263
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.