Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just pulling out some odd guns and here I find a Ruger 10-22 Carbine I didn't remember I had. Looking to maybe do a couple "upgrades" for mainly just gopher shooting etc. Ordered a Ruger BX drop in trigger assembly already. What other upgrades are recommended without breaking the bank so to speak? Suggestions welcome.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1. The better trigger mod than the BX is the Volquartsen target hammer kit and trigger. Most times that kit can be found for around $60 and works much better than the BX trigger.

2. Auto bolt release mod: Takes all of about 5 seconds to perform this mod: $0
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3. Extended charge handle: $25

4. Extended mag release lever. $15

5. Bolt properly headspaced: $0

6. Volquartsen extractor and spring kit: $15

7. Nylon bolt buffer: $5

8. Bolt mods that help with function: radius and polish the rear of the bolt.

Many more mods, but those are the necessary ones. For the type of shooting I do. YMMV.. A huge performance upgrade would be changing out the factory barrel to a Kidd, or similar type barrel. Stock upgrade is also a consideration. The Magpul Hunter X22 is a great stock, if one wants to upgrade to a better stock.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
1. The better trigger mod than the BX is the Volquartsen target hammer kit and trigger. Most times that kit can be found for around $60 and works much better than the BX trigger.

Many more mods, but those are the necessary ones. For the type of shooting I do. YMMV.. A huge performance upgrade would be changing out the factory barrel to a Kidd, or similar type barrel. Stock upgrade is also a consideration. The Magpul Hunter X22 is a great stock, if one wants to upgrade to a better stock.
Do you have a link for number 5?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Send it to CPC. It'll come back right.
Based on all I've read.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Just pulling out some odd guns and here I find a Ruger 10-22 Carbine I didn't remember I had. Looking to maybe do a couple "upgrades" for mainly just gopher shooting etc. Ordered a Ruger BX drop in trigger assembly already. What other upgrades are recommended without breaking the bank so to speak? Suggestions welcome.

Just install the trigger and give it a try, if you aren't happy with the grouping results then try removing the barrel band, it may be binding causing accuracy issues. After that it becomes just how much money you want to throw at a gopher shooting gun. For just shooting gophers I have found the basic 10/22 adequate enough, it won't win any benchrest matches but it is hard on gophers.

I take 10/22's for what they are - an inexpensive reasonably accurate and fun thing to shoot, they can turn into a real money pit though if one gets carried away.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great tips. Keep them coming!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Do you have a link for number 5?

I do my own. It's pretty easy. Just like a lot of work that can be done to the 10-22. There are a lot of mods that can be done at no cost, just time and a little know how.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Send it to CPC. It'll come back right.
Based on all I've read.

That is a possibility, if you would rather pay someone else to do easy work that most guys should be able to do.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drover

Just install the trigger and give it a try, if you aren't happy with the grouping results then try removing the barrel band, it may be binding causing accuracy issues. After that it becomes just how much money you want to throw at a gopher shooting gun. For just shooting gophers I have found the basic 10/22 adequate enough, it won't win any benchrest matches but it is hard on gophers.

I take 10/22's for what they are - an inexpensive reasonably accurate and fun thing to shoot, they can turn into a real money pit though if one gets carried away.

drover

Do them smart and they don't have to be "money pits". I have about $450 into my current one. That is total cost of rifle and parts.. Also, if done right, they can be extremely accurate/tack driving sob's. Not just "reasonably accurate". Just depends on what you really want, I guess..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Perhaps I am reading the OP's post too simply but as I read it he is asking about upgrades for a gopher gun. In my experience with 10/22's that most of them unmodified will group about 1" to 3/4" @ 50 yards for 5 shots, a trigger upgrade will cut about a 1/4" from those group sizes.

So taking into account how much accuracy is required to kill a gopher out to 50 or 75 yards where does the point of diminishing returns kick in? I doubt that the extra $275 spent on a Kidd, or other aftermarket barrel or another $200 or so for a Magpul stock is going to increase the amount of gophers.

The money spent on a BX trigger or some other upgrade is likely the best money spent on a 10/22 simply because it makes it more shootable.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You read it exactly right, drover. Was not wanting to spend a ton on it -- just something to shoot as a back up gopher gun. But I think I would like to try a couple of bsa1917hunter's tips. They seemed like good ones if I can figure out how to do them. I'm not quite sure what his #2 tip, Auto Bolt Release Mod accomplishes exactly. Maybe he will chime in. I'm also curious about his #5 and #8 tip and how to go about accomplishing them.

Last edited by troutslayer; 03/28/23.

John Wayne
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You read it exactly right, drover. Was not wanting to spend a ton on it -- just something to shoot as a back up gopher gun. But I think I would like to try a couple of bsa1917hunter's tips. They seemed like good ones if I can figure out how to do them. I'm not quite sure what his #2 tip, Auto Bolt Release Mod accomplishes exactly. Maybe he will chime in. I'm also curious about his #5 and #8 tip and how to go about accomplishing them.
The Ruger bolt hold open is a robust design which must be manually operated to engage and disengage. I like this because the bolt is held no matter the bump or jostling, many people don’t like it because they find manually disengaging it to be too tedious. The modification is removing the plate from the trigger assembly, grinding the notch into a triangle, reinstalling into the trigger group. This still requires you to manually engage the bolt hold open but allows you to slingshot the bolt or manually disengage the bolt hold open. It also allows the bolt to close on your finger if you bump it when cleaning or clearing the chamber.

I too am waiting for him to expand on #5.

#8 is to soften the bottom rear edge of the bolt to lower the resistance when cocking the hammer.
Stock bolt https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...t-carrier-groups/bolt-assembly-complete/
Aftermarket bolt with softer edge https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-bolts-bolt-carrier-groups/1022-bolt-assembly/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The great things about the 10/22 are that they are modular and they are so popular that there are a plethora of after-market parts available. It is easy to put a lot of money into a 10/22 by changing parts piece by piece, what I call the "Stone Soup" process, but I have come to the conclusion that spending the $250 or so that a full tune up by CPC costs is a more cost effective and holistic approach. I've done it both ways several times over, so this isn't speculative advice. Good luck with your project.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You did the best thing first. Make it easier to shoot well, then see where you want to take it from there. Aftermarket triggers may have the edge, but the BX will do okay based on my example of one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50 @ 50 from a bone stock 10/22 except trigger redone.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What choke tube did you have in it? Reupold Improved Cylinder? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few things to consider. A trigger does NOT improve a rifle's accuracy. It does make it easier to shoot more accurately, or as Drover said, more shootable. If you do a good job of controlling a bad trigger and get bad accuracy, no trigger job will make it accurate. I have a Ruger 10/22 magnum that has the second worse trigger of any gun I own. I can still get 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it.

Ammo can make a HUGE difference. Don't write off a 22LR until you have tried several varieties of quality ammo.

For those who aren't real handy, a barrel and a stock are good starting points. I don't love Hogue stocks, but they are cheap and based on my sample size of 2, they are pretty darned good. Shaw Barrels aren't the best, but they can be had for $150 and they too are very good. A drop in trigger assembly, like the BX, is easy to install and makes it quite a bit easier for you to shoot your rifle's best.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Plenty of stuff to add....

Extractor is where I started

TK or MCarbo & others have plenty of stuff

My take down 10-22 SS is a hoot.........

Cheap/dirty ammo is the weak link

https://www.tandemkross.com/maintenance-combo-for-ruger-1022.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mount/optics selection is #1. Only a Drooling Fhuqking Retard,would mount same on the receiver of a TD. Hell...they'd probably even add a Loudener. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
...Ammo can make a HUGE difference. Don't write off a 22LR until you have tried several varieties of quality ammo...
Yep, ammo matters. That right there is the easiest and cheapest thing to do first.

Was out this morning checking zero and plinking with a 1968 vintage 10/22 carbine, the original style with barrel band and all. The only thing done to it was that after putting up with a 9 pound trigger for 55 years, I finally bought a BX trigger for it a couple months ago. It currently wears a Weaver Classic 6x38 scope, which is okay as far as it goes but definitely not the crème de la crème of modern optical equipment.

Anyway, the wind was calm so just for grins I fired two 10 shot groups with the two kinds of ammo on hand, some several years old CCI AR Tactical and some recently purchased Federal Automatch. 10 shots each at 50 yards. The AR Tactical put 9 rounds into .56" with one flyer that's definitely my fault. With the same shooter, same rifle, same everything, the Federal Automatch put 10 rounds into 1.05". Not a dig on the Automatch, in other rifles it shoots great.

AR Tactical. Not going to set the .22 benchrest world on fire but not too shabby for an old, well worn rifle.

[Linked Image]

Automatch. I fired a second 10 shot group to give this a fair chance and it was about the same.

[Linked Image]

Fwiw, either of those groups is small enough to kill a gopher sized animal out to 50 yards and the AR Tactical could stretch that to 100 or more.

Nothing wrong with upgrading a 10/22 as an end to itself, the sky's the limit, but if the goal is to shoot minute of gopher with minimal outlay, a simple test of a few different types and/or lots of ammo could preclude the need, emphasis on need, for anything further.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
473 members (338rcm, 300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.