Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm looking for a replacement powder, with a burn rate close to imr 4350. Any suggestions, of powders that are available in todays powder shortages! Thanks in advance. Someting that works well in, .243W, .243WSSM, .270W, .284W, .338-06AI. Also used in .375H&H. and .375-8mm Rem. What do you folks suggest.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try A4350 or H4350.Those two will get you close enough with a little tweaking to get you similar results you were getting with IMR4350.They are not the same,but seem to run within about a grain of one another.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
PV has 8 pounders of IMR4350 in stock.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/imr-4350/

A4350, H4350, A2700, N150, and N550 are roughly in the same ballpark, and those have all been in stock pretty regularly lately.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Powder Valley has 8# in stock right now. I've been able to pick up a few pounds in the last few months.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recently switched to Ramshot Hunter due it's characteristics when reloading (ball powder)being a little more friendly in .260 Remington. I really like it a lot and it's usually a bit cheaper and easier to find. Take a look at it and see if it might fit your bill.

Last edited by 351WSL; 03/28/23. Reason: add text for reloading

Living in a Blue Healers home with me and my wife as pets.
IC B2

H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks guys. I'll look at whats available of those suggested.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Heymo6,

Originally Posted by 351WSL
I recently switched to Ramshot Hunter due it's characteristics when reloading (ball powder)being a little more friendly in .260 Remington. I really like it a lot and it's usually a bit cheaper and easier to find. Take a look at it and see if it might fit your bill.

I would suggest the same--or Ramshot Big Game, for the same reasons.

Big Game is a little faster-burning than IMR4350, and Hunter a little slower.

Just checked a couple of websites, and the Ramshot powders are considerably less expensive.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Heymo6,

Just checked a couple of websites, and the Ramshot powders are considerably less expensive.

Hunter gets excellent velocity and accuracy in 30/06 with 165/168 grain bullets with lower pressures than other powders.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heymo6,

I am a late comer to Ramshot but they are good so far. Plus they're less money than anything IMR or H these days.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went through the same thing a while back and ended up grabbing H4350 (available) and like it even better.

Since then that too has been impossible to find so I went to Accurate 4350. Development doesn't seem as easy with it but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer due to shortages. While doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/28/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Heymo6,

You 'aint kidding.

Just stocked up locally on Big Game for a project and it worked out to less than $34 / lb.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Went through the same thing a while back and went to H4350 and like it even better. Since then that too has been impossible to find and went to Accurate 4350. It does not seem as amenable to creating loads but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer. I have been able to get two calibers pretty dialed in with it but while doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.

crazy.

I've generally found it easier to achieve tight groups with Sierra bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started with Ramshot TAC several years ago for 6.5 Grendel. It fit the bill in every way (costs$$, velocity, flows like water in a progressive press, pressures, etc.). I still burn some IMR, H, and WIN powder, but I find myself leaning more towards Ramshot and Shooters World stuff. I know Shooters World is hard to come by right now, but I stacked it pretty deep a few years ago. SW Long Rifle is pretty good if you find it, and really actually cheaper than Ramshot Powders. I've had good luck with it also in medium size cartridges. Their Tactical Rifle is supposed to be remarkable, but I have yet to test any. I love the Auto Pistol and Clean Shot!

These are the reasons that I suggested Ramshot Hunter earlier.

Living in a Blue Healers home with me and my wife as pets.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
Heymo6,

You 'aint kidding.

Just stocked up locally on Big Game for a project and it worked out to less than $34 / lb.

That is the nice thing about that powder. $34 is a little steep. It's $31 at Scheels, and was $26/pound 2 days ago, when it was 15% off. That's when I would have been buying it. However, I'm stocked up, so I just bought CFE223 and StaBall 6.5 for $33-34/pound.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Went through the same thing a while back and went to H4350 and like it even better. Since then that too has been impossible to find and went to Accurate 4350. It does not seem as amenable to creating loads but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer. I have been able to get two calibers pretty dialed in with it but while doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.

crazy.

Ditto. Switching to speers is just asking for inaccuracy. I'd use Hornady interlocks and Winchester power points way before going to Speers. Those worked well for indians though.. Just about as accurate too, in my experience.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've generally been able to squeeze pretty good accuracy out of Speers 🤷‍♂️ I have had issues with a lot of them feeding like crap in various rifles, though.

I've used a lot of them as plinkers/steel dingers since they've always tended to be fairly cheap.

Last edited by zcm82; 03/29/23. Reason: addition
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
RL26 and Hornady Interlocks works in 243....if you can find it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman

crazy.

Ditto. Switching to speers is just asking for inaccuracy. I'd use Hornady interlocks and Winchester power points way before going to Speers. Those worked well for indians though.. Just about as accurate too, in my experience.
Hotcors have always shot well and performed just fine on deer for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
RL-17 fits in there with the 4350s. My favourite for the 9.3 x 62, and now giving it a try in the .375 H&H as well as the .35 Whelen.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either H4350 or W760 will fit the bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.