Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just finished Jay P Williams' Alaskan Adventure and it is a great read, thanks Phil.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

C
C
I know quite a bit about josea sarber...particular his rifle handloads and the fact he was a tough direct man who was all business with a sharp sense of humor...he guided jack oconnor and elmer Keith and oconnor had tremendous respect for him as a high pressure shooter unexcelled up close with the brownies....col whelen also shot with sarber and stated sarber took more bears than anyone with the possible exception of jay williams...sarber and Williams favored the 30/06 for brownies...sarber in particular was frustrated with the 375 h/h because of a lack of stiff jacketed bullets at the time..elmer Keith appeared to have an outing with sarber as Keith disliked the 30/06 as a bear cartridge with its moderate power being a safety issue....a couple of sarbers handloads :1) 270 win 53 g 4350 160 Barnes bullet 2850 fs
2) 30/06 56g 4350 172 wtcw bullet 2750fs
Charlie
Larc052005yahoo.com

I
I
Just finished Alaskan Adventure also. I was able to read it on Kindle for $3.99. Thanks for the book title! Townsend Whelen's plan for an Alaskan Pack Board looks like a cool project though I'm not familiar with using them. Anyone know if something like this is incredibly uncomfortable versus ultra-lite packs available today?

Last edited by ILCurley; 03/29/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Besides Jack O'Connor and also Townsend Whelen mentioning Hosea Sarber's 172 grain load in his .30-06 on brown bears, Sarber used the .220 Wilson Arrow in 3 Model 70's using Swift barrels rechambered by L.E. Wilson on hair seals, eagles, coyotes, hawks, ravens and grey wolf with a 55 grain load. He had taken a number of black bears with the .220 Wilson Arrow, but says it is inadequate for such game even though "it kills amazingly well on certain shots".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by 458Win
No Room For Bears was not by Jay Williams.
The book written by Jay P Williams is titled ALASKAN ADVENTURE
It was copyright 1952 and the forward written by Don Martin and preface by Townsend Whelen

Hosea Sarber and Jay Williams worked closely and their stories are great.

I remember reading that Hosea owned a 375 but claimed he had more faith in his 30-06.

As in Judge Don Martin?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ILCurley
Just finished Alaskan Adventure also. I was able to read it on Kindle for $3.99. Thanks for the book title! Townsend Whelen's plan for an Alaskan Pack Board looks like a cool project though I'm not familiar with using them. Anyone know if something like this is incredibly uncomfortable versus ultra-lite packs available today?
Woven ash pack baskets were the standard for trappers for a very long time. They are miserable to carry, especially if you are a lanky kid. At 14 I was 6'4". Pack boards were no better. Anachronism is strong many hunting and fishing arenas.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by 458Win
No Room For Bears was not by Jay Williams.
The book written by Jay P Williams is titled ALASKAN ADVENTURE
It was copyright 1952 and the forward written by Don Martin and preface by Townsend Whelen

Hosea Sarber and Jay Williams worked closely and their stories are great.

I remember reading that Hosea owned a 375 but claimed he had more faith in his 30-06.

As in Judge Don Martin?

Pretty sure it is the same guy he was a friend of Elmer Keith and lived in Idaho in his retirement years..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I read somewhere that Hosea had 9 model 70s in .375 H & H. A fascinating man to say the least. I have a couple Rifleman from the 40's that he talks about varmint rifles and one about rifles for Alaska.

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Woven ash pack baskets were the standard for trappers for a very long time. They are miserable to carry, especially if you are a lanky kid. At 14 I was 6'4". Pack boards were no better. Anachronism is strong many hunting and fishing arenas.
Sitka, There is one lightweight old school packboard that might change your mind. The old "Trapper Nelson". A huge success with civilians in AK and the PNW originally, they were also adopted by Canadian Forces and used up into the 60's IIRC. My original was used for over 30 yrs until finally it died...then a master woodworker built me one from scratch using the old one as a pattern...Sitka Spruce and canvas this time, going on 12 years of hard use...and I don't mean just packing meat...many loads of gold bearing high grade quartz ore too, around 70# per load. I have killed 2 aluminum "freighters" and a US Army plywood board, but old Trapper Nelson at almost half the weight survives on. It's worth a look anyway.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
People who have BTDT are worth listening to. Even if you disagree.

Bell didn't think much of the 220 Swift on rhino, so I won't try it. smile

I'm only 6' and 150, but my experience mirrors that of Art, above.

Last edited by las; 05/02/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sitka, There is one lightweight old school packboard that might change your mind. The old "Trapper Nelson". A huge success with civilians in AK and the PNW originally, they were also adopted by Canadian Forces and used up into the 60's IIRC. My original was used for over 30 yrs until finally it died...then a master woodworker built me one from scratch using the old one as a pattern...Sitka Spruce and canvas this time, going on 12 years of hard use...and I don't mean just packing meat...many loads of gold bearing high grade quartz ore too, around 70# per load. I have killed 2 aluminum "freighters" and a US Army plywood board, but old Trapper Nelson at almost half the weight survives on. It's worth a look anyway.

Trapper Nelsons were well known back in those days and a rigid packbasket has to be built to the body that will carry it. I should dig out some 1960s trapping photos with the fiberglass and wood packbaskets my father made.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Trapper Nelsons were well known back in those days and a rigid packbasket has to be built to the body that will carry it. I should dig out some 1960s trapping photos with the fiberglass and wood packbaskets my father made.

Would love to see those pictures when you get a chance to post them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.