Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any of you guys on the taller thinner side, what is your preference for carrying concealed?

I’ll give a little info to let you know what I’m dealing with.

I’m 6’4” tall and weigh right around 200lb. 32” waist and pretty narrow shoulders and upper body. I live in a place that regularly sees triple digit temps from June through September so cover garments are tough to work around.

For forever I’ve carried primarily small handguns, especially during the warm months due to having no place to hide a full sized handgun. We have constitutional carry so printing or someone seeing a firearm isn’t a problem legally, but I prefer that I’m the only one who knows that I’m armed for a variety of reasons.

I generally carry a J frame in a front pocket or with an IWB rig but even that can be problematic to keep concealed during T shirt weather. My no other choice but better than nothing option has always been a HS double derringer slid in behind my billfold in a front pocket, while easily hidden and always reliable it isn’t much good past contact distance.

The dilemma now is that I’d like to carry a mid or full sized auto due to the way of the world currently but I don’t know of a good option for concealabilty for a G19 or similar on my slim frame in a pair of Levi’s and a T shirt or pearl snap.

When I lived in a colder locale it wasn’t an issue to hide a 5” Govt model IWB by wearing a vest or light jacket. That doesn’t work out as well when it’s 103deg out or I’m in a building during the summer months sitting and standing for any length of time.

What works for you?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a G19’ish type gun, take a look at a G48 with shield arms mags. It’s the slimline version of a g19 that holds 10 rounds from Glock but 15 with shield mags. Essentially giving up nothing to the 19 except girth.

I am not skinny but am tall. The G48 hides well under just t-shirt, especially if it’s not skin tight. I really like the concealment express/rounded line of holsters. The biggest addition to making it conceal well if you are skinny and want to hide it under a t shirt is the claw. It tucks it into your side tight. It is slightly less comfortable with the claw (it’s removable) but it is probably worth it. As always, a good belt is paramount.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ll look into those holsters. I was giving some thought to the G48 but I haven’t looked into it very closely and didn’t know about the Shield mags. I mentioned the G19 just because it’s a tried and true option. I’ll do some more reading on the G48.

Thanks

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Change your gender & have a good surgeon fix you up with a pair of double D’s.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn’t get anything done then, I’d be too busy playing with them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really need to move to appendix IWB carry (AWIB)..............& with a loose fitting T-shirt it will conceal with a decent sized gun better than anything else.

And get yourself a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact with a 3.6" barrel & forget about the Glocks as the footprint of the M&P is much easier to conceal & it's a full size grip, 15 round gun.

This is the holster, below, that you need & pics of the M&P 2.0 Compact in it. (It comes standard with a "wing" which pushes the gun butt in tighter to your body)

Appendix carry for some takes a little getting used to & you may have to make yourself work at it in the beginning....................after a few days, you'll likely never want anything else.

It conceals better, has faster access standing or sitting & is easy to sit with for vehicle use.

But correct fit clothing is important............loose fit doesn't need to be 2 sizes too big, just a matter of how it's cut. Not all shirts are cut the same.

MM

TXC Holster

Model X1 TXC holster with 3.6" barrel M& P Compact 2.0

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I am not your height, I am shorter and also 50 lbs less wt. I carry jframes, Shield plus (10-13 rounds) and sometimes a G19 but only with extra clothes almost impossible not to print for me with a G19 and tshirt. I can hide a Shield plus well, it is very accurate and has a good trigger for a striker fire. The TXC style holsters as shown above work great, and though not a fan of appendix carry, it works.
S.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
6ft / 180 … G17 with optic , AIWB, tier 1 minimalist holster , shirt tucked , daily .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would look at IWB rigs that still offer a full firing grip on the pistol yet sit deep in the pant for concealment purposes. Personally I have found that the Milt Sparks Summer Specials are still my favorites after trying a number of variations over the years.

This is not a good pic, and this is a 50th anniversary model, so the production ones will have two snaps, but I find that the Summer Special will conceal a full size 5" gun easily with a t shirt on.

I am not a fan of appendix IWB carry for my own reasons, but a lot of people like it, so if it works for them, fine by me, but I prefer not to. A few different button down shirts that are designed to be worn untucked that are just a little longer in length may solve a lot of your problems, when combined with a good IWB rig.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't do AIWB - it seems I'm always carrying something or leaning over a fender. I'm the same height and this might not help, but not all "long" t-shirts are created equal. Carhartt and True Classic are LONG and worth a try. I prefer the True Classic as they fit decent without the square sail effect some t-shirts get in the larger sizes. Size up though, they run a little small. I'd guess you for an XLT. If you wait for a sale and buy a pack of six they are also cheap. True Classic is by no means a heavy t-shirt like some, but I prefer that for summer.

There are plenty of smaller pistols that offer similar round count to the G19. Proper size pistol, good holster and belt, long t-shirt - done. I carry a P365 OWB (Bianchi Illusion) on an Anson CC ratchet belt under a long t-shirt with no issue.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would look at IWB rigs that still offer a full firing grip on the pistol yet sit deep in the pant for concealment purposes. Personally I have found that the Milt Sparks Summer Specials are still my favorites after trying a number of variations over the years.

This is not a good pic, and this is a 50th anniversary model, so the production ones will have two snaps, but I find that the Summer Special will conceal a full size 5" gun easily with a t shirt on.

I am not a fan of appendix IWB carry for my own reasons, but a lot of people like it, so if it works for them, fine by me, but I prefer not to. A few different button down shirts that are designed to be worn untucked that are just a little longer in length may solve a lot of your problems, when combined with a good IWB rig.

Like you say, everyone has to figure out what works for them & holster fit is a very personal thing.
Lots of styles work.
I have several versions of the SS's & they work fine but on most people, especially thinner ones, they bulge just a little too much at 3 o'clock. But because or the thinner profile, a 1911 works well in them. The Sparks Executive Companion is also good if it fits your build.

MM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm about the same build. I tried a G19 IWB and didn't care for it. Too thick and still printed and preferred my 1911 for that application.

I tried the G48 IWB and really like it. It is just thin enough that I can wear it with any regular pants or shorts and an untucked shirt hides it fine.

I picked up a SIG 365 and a AIWB holster and that is becoming my go-to, especially when wearing a t-shirt.

The spare mags on my belt print more than the G48 or 365 in their holster.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
SIG 365 here too. Nice gun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Sig 365 in a Kydex IWB holster, appendix carry.

In Houston from April/May to November the casual uniform is t-shirts & shorts, and that is what works......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am an M&P fan but have been giving very serious consideration to the Glock 43X or 48 with the Shield Arms magazines. Either of those in an optic cut configuration with a compact dot sight on top.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, the G48 beats the G43x. The longer slide isn’t a detriment when carrying iwb, and it adds sight radius and some velocity. It also points better for me. As stated, if you like Glocks a G48 mos is basically a G19 mos that is thinner. Same capacity (shield mags) and barrel length. I actually think the longer barrel is more comfortable, as it doesn’t dig into the point of the hip.

Last edited by K1500; 03/29/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Check out Fist holsters

https://www.fist-holsters.com/

He uses an extremely THIN kydex material that is just damn nice for IWB carry...... for the gun, I love my Glock 48 (have the original and the newer MOS version) but I also got a Glock 43 for summer time.... I'm even know to wear a belt and pull basketball lightweight shorts up over the holster lol.... a long tshirt or a super light button up fishing shirt and you're set.

I can't do appendix either... it's cool if it works for you and maybe I just haven't found the right holster for me? I carry at 3:30-4 o'clock .... the biggest epiphany for me was to just stop giving a chit if it it lightly prints or shows every once in awhile.... it's GOING to happen, just be aware of it and try to limit it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
What works for you?

I wouldn't be mistaken for taller or skinny but still, similar issues. It is challenging.

1) Surprisingly few people recognize a fanny pack holster for what it is. I had some friends in the security biz frisk me in a sort of joking manner while we were talking about guns and concealed carry and they went right past it, didn't know they'd missed a 4" barreled S&W 629. So some people will know, but most will not.

2) Hot weather so a jacket is out, but does your personal dress style allow for a vest? It could just be cover for a holster or a holster could be built into it.

3) Ankle holster?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not going into how or what holster. For 5 10, 185 carrying concealed @ +100 degrees it’s a thin moisture wicking t shirt with a Hawaiian style shirt over.

Swifty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m not tall or skinny. But I love my p365 and raven vanguard holster (I replaced the OEM clip with an ulti clip)

If that combo won’t conceal for you not much will

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
810 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.