Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Did the XTR go away when Winchester sold out in 1981? Or possibly they did away with the XTR on the Featherweights and kept using it on the sporter weight rifles??
Nope, it’s there on the fw through at least ‘88.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just saw a sweet XTR FWT 30-06. Not sure if it is worth $800.00 though. It's a sweetheart though, with nice wood. The downfall is the recoil pad has been changed out. Someone did a horrible job on it too, so a red pachmayr would need to be added. It's one with featherweight scrolled on the barrel too. 190xxxx serial number, so likely a 1989 model. Clean bolt face and sharp lands, with no wear on the bluing at the muzzle. Has a lot of life left in it.
Was it labeled XTR on the left side BSA?

AK, what do we call them if it does not say XTR on the side of it? Just a featherweight? Seems weird because it is an XTR by all rights. I was thinking about driving in to town to look at it again..
Not sure, BSA. I just call them the post xtr featherweights; I don’t know of a better way to designate them. Maybe we should designate them the scroll featherweights. smile

I like that. Thanks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Did the XTR go away when Winchester sold out in 1981? Or possibly they did away with the XTR on the Featherweights and kept using it on the sporter weight rifles??

Yep. 1988 from what I could find. The one I showed pics of was made in '89. And it does not have XTR on the left side of the barrel, like you figured. If the dang thing was 100% original, I would probably lay down the money for it. The stock has not been cut, but the recoil pad they put on it does not fit well. Really not a huge issue, but does take away from the originality. I actually leave my classic stainless with it's hard original pad just to keep it original. Sometimes I think about pulling the pad off and putting a red pachmayr on it because it is uncomfortable to shoot off the bench:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, going back to the XTR's, I have a 300WBY XTR Sporter that has "XTR" on the barrel. It was made in 1988..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yep. 1988 from what I could find. The one I showed pics of was made in '89. And it does not have XTR on the left side of the barrel, like you figured. If the dang thing was 100% original, I would probably lay down the money for it. The stock has not been cut, but the recoil pad they put on it does not fit well. Really not a huge issue, but does take away from the originality. I actually leave my classic stainless with it's hard original pad just to keep it original. Sometimes I think about pulling the pad off and putting a red pachmayr on it because it is uncomfortable to shoot off the bench:

Also, going back to the XTR's, I have a 300WBY XTR Sporter that has "XTR" on the barrel. It was made in 1988..

That's a good looking rifle which one is that?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

That's a good looking rifle which one is that?

Thanks, that is my classic stainless 30-06. I bought it about a year and a half ago. Great rifle. Came with a silver Leupold that I later sold.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a cool rifle.

Semper Fi
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
1960 Winchester 300 H-H mag

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
This is a fantastic thread. I need another rifle like a hole in the head but after reading this I'm in the market!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
This is a fantastic thread. I need another rifle like a hole in the head but after reading this I'm in the market!

Ha ha.. It's terrible!!! Its hard to stay out of the gunshops in search for nice model 70's. Sometimes you find some great deals out there!!! I think I bought about 7 model 70's over the last year. All excellent shooters too. Putting a little work into them is almost as much fun as finding them and shooting them..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Imissedm
1960 Winchester 300 H-H mag

Imissedm pictures too..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Very nice! what cartridge ?

Thanks! The Pre’64 is a 30-06 and the other is a 270.

I am trying to reduce here, but that '55 Featherweight 30-06 would be really hard to put down.... congrats!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Ha ha.. It's terrible!!! Its hard to stay out of the gunshops in search for nice model 70's. Sometimes you find some great deals out there!!! I think I bought about 7 model 70's over the last year. All excellent shooters too. Putting a little work into them is almost as much fun as finding them and shooting them..

I know !! Have to hold out for the deals

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not exactly a recent purchase but a recent project completed. Barreled action has been around the house for almost a year now.

Winchester M70 Ranger Short Action
243 Win
McMillan Hunters Edge
PT&G bottom metal

It will likely need to be bedded but I'm gonna shoot it as is first.

Attached Images
20230409_211202.jpg (18.34 KB, 94 downloads)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Not exactly a recent purchase but a recent project completed. Barreled action has been around the house for almost a year now.

243 Win
McMillan Hunters Edge
PT&G bottom metal

Is there a reason you are not bedding it first?

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

243 Win
McMillan Hunters Edge
PT&G bottom metal

Not really. Mostly time and effort. We'll see how far I get before the next range trip.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

243 Win
McMillan Hunters Edge
PT&G bottom metal

Not really. Mostly time and effort. We'll see how far I get before the next range trip.

Well, I wish you good luck with it. In my experience, a model 70 benefits greatly from being properly glass bedded. I don't blame you, if you aren't comfortable doing the job yourself. I've been doing them for years, so it's a "no brainer" and doesn't take much time or energy, but does make a huge difference that will last a lifetime, if done right. That's consistency in accuracy that can be counted on. There's piece of mind when you can pull your barreled action out and clean it after every nasty hunt, without fear of losing POI, or accuracy degrading over time, or messing with torque values. The glass bedding is the foundation of a solid rifle.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

243 Win
McMillan Hunters Edge
PT&G bottom metal

Well, I wish you good luck with it. In my experience, a model 70 benefits greatly from being properly glass bedded. I don't blame you, if you aren't comfortable doing the job yourself. I've been doing them for years, so it's a "no brainer" and doesn't take much time or energy, but does make a huge difference that will last a lifetime, if done right. That's consistency in accuracy that can be counted on. There's piece of mind when you can pull your barreled action out and clean it after every nasty hunt, without fear of losing POI, or accuracy degrading over time, or messing with torque values. The glass bedding is the foundation of a solid rifle.

I understand all of that. It's not a comfort-level thing. I've bedded at least a dozen model 70s probably quite a few more. I've also bedded Ruger 77s (that's fun) and Remington 700s. I simply don't have a lot of spare time at the moment and I want to shoot this rifle. I never once shot the donor. I suppose I should probably just delay it longer until I do have time to bed it. But if I get to the range before it gets done, it will make the trip too.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.