24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A friend from the Parker site has a new set of .250 dies and some empties for sale. I'm not looking to get in the middle of any transaction but if anyone here is interested I can put the two of you together.

Real shotguns have two barrels!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am about to get my feet wet with a 1920s 99 in 250-3000.
I am a member of the PGCA and sent George a PM. May be looking for some 100 gr bullets or ???? Thanks in advance

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Find yourself some Speer 87gr Hot Cores. You'll do much better accuracy wise.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
I am about to get my feet wet with a 1920s 99 in 250-3000.
I am a member of the PGCA and sent George a PM. May be looking for some 100 gr bullets or ???? Thanks in advance

You'll likely run into trouble. Many (most?) 100 grain bullets are too long to stabilize in the 14" twist of the older rifles.

Save yourself some hassle and get some 87 grain Speer Hot Cors.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. The best way to guarantee success right out of the chute instead of chasing "maybe" accuracy with most of the 100's available today. I would suggest Remington 100 CoreLoct bullets if they were available to the handloader, and if by chance they haven't screwed with the shape/length of them again, but that's moot as Remington evidently no longer gives a hoot about handloaders.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure what you're wanting to shoot but I have also had good luck with the Speer 75gr. I think they're TNTs but I'd have to look when I'm at home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I'll 2nd that.

Originally Posted by damnesia
Not sure what you're wanting to shoot but I have also had good luck with the Speer 75gr. I think they're TNTs but I'd have to look when I'm at home.

I'll 2nd that kinda, but I load 75 grain Hornady V-Max's. Very good accuracy for coyotes. Like 'damnesia' posted depends what you're planning to hunt/shoot. The 87 grain Hot Cores will drop a deer. Ifin a reader has a newer faster twist 99 vs the older 14" twist 99's, posters here say the 100 grainers work well if loaded right.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I'll 2nd that.

I'll 2nd that kinda, but I load 75 grain Hornady V-Max's. Very good accuracy for coyotes. Like 'damnesia' posted depends what you're planning to hunt/shoot. The 87 grain Hot Cores will drop a deer. Ifin a reader has a newer faster twist 99 vs the older 14" twist 99's, posters here say the 100 grainers work well if loaded right.

I shoot the 87 grains if I have a choice. But before I bought a ton of them, when they're weren't available ( like now ) I found the 75gr worked fine for just shooting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot the 87 grains if I have a choice. But before I bought a ton of them, when they're weren't available ( like now ) I found the 75gr worked fine for just shooting.

I bought around 600-700 rds of the Hornady 75 grain VMax's back when they were less than $20 a hundred (think I paid around $16 on sale)-that was a while ago. Now they're pricey and hard to find at times. I've established pretty good accurate loads with them using Varget, 3031, and RL15 so I don't have to do much if any load development. Have a good supply yet of the 75 VMax's, but saving them for coyote loadings. Still bang a few off for checking sights.

Shoot them out of scoped 99G and EG (iron sights) 250's, plus my scoped Ruger M77 250. Like the Speer 87 HC's also for dropping a coyote ifin one allows me to get it into my sights. Bought a good supply of those also before prices went high. Can't hunt deer with bottleneck rounds in Iowa, but did drop a severally vehicle injured deer once at request of local DNR officer with a 87 HC. Did the job. Just getting into load development with 85-86 grain cast bullets out of a NOE mold. So far working fine for target loads-cheaper than the 75 and 87 grain jacketed bullets and can do alot more shooting.

Last edited by Savage94C; 03/29/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I bought around 600-700 rds of the Hornady 75 grain VMax's back when they were less than $20 a hundred (think I paid around $16 on sale)-that was a while ago. Now they're pricey and hard to find at times. I've established pretty good accurate loads with them using Varget, 3031, and RL15 so I don't have to do much if any load development. Have a good supply yet of the 75 VMax's, but saving them for coyote loadings. Still bang a few off for checking sights.

Shoot them out of scoped 99G and EG (iron sights) 250's, plus my scoped Ruger M77 250. Like the Speer 87 HC's also for dropping a coyote ifin one allows me to get it into my sights. Bought a good supply of those also before prices went high. Can't hunt deer with bottleneck rounds in Iowa, but did drop a severally vehicle injured deer once at request of local DNR officer with a 87 HC. Did the job. Just getting into load development with 87-89 grain cast bullets out of a NOE mold. So far working fine for target loads-cheaper than the 75 and 87 grain jacketed bullets and can do alot more shooting.

Which NOE mold are you using?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The NOE mold is a .257 diameter #260-86-FN-D4 gas check that is listed as 85-86 grains. I incorrectly stated it as a 87-89 grain cast bullet in my post (edited it). It is made out of aluminum (mine) or brass/plain base or gas check/2-3-4-5 cavity.

I originally tried to get what they call a SC260-80-RF (80 grain bullet) developed by a handloader called Ranch Dog but they were always out of stock. Called and talked with the owner of NOE and he wasn't sure when that mold would be in stock as they were backlogged with manufacturing some of the more popular molds and weights. The owner advised he has had alot of 250 caliber casters use the 260-86-FN I bought and had received excellent comments about its accuracy in 250 caliber rifles including Savage 99's. Waited some time but the Ranch Dogs never got into stock so bought the 260-86-FN. I get an occasional email from NOE and one of them I received this winter advised of new and updated equipment at NOE that they anticipate will increase production and get backlogged molds available.

Since buying I haven't been able to develop loads yet as I wanted to but hope to hit it hard this spring/summer. Have noticed though this winter and as of yet (checked NOE website) that all of their .257 (25 caliber) molds are out of stock at this time. This particular mold is the only NOE I have and it casts beautiful bullets once the mold is up to temp.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The NOE mold is a .257 diameter #260-86-FN-D4 gas check that is listed as 85-86 grains. I incorrectly stated it as a 87-89 grain cast bullet in my post (edited it). It is made out of aluminum (mine) or brass/plain base or gas check/2-3-4-5 cavity.

I originally tried to get what they call a SC260-80-RF (80 grain bullet) developed by a handloader called Ranch Dog but they were always out of stock. Called and talked with the owner of NOE and he wasn't sure when that mold would be in stock as they were backlogged with manufacturing some of the more popular molds and weights. The owner advised he has had alot of 250 caliber casters use the 260-86-FN I bought and had received excellent comments about its accuracy in 250 caliber rifles including Savage 99's. Waited some time but the Ranch Dogs never got into stock so bought the 260-86-FN. I get an occasional email from NOE and one of them I received this winter advised of new and updated equipment at NOE that they anticipate will increase production and get backlogged molds available.

Since buying I haven't been able to develop loads yet as I wanted to but hope to hit it hard this spring/summer. Have noticed though this winter and as of yet (checked NOE website) that all of their .257 (25 caliber) molds are out of stock at this time. This particular mold is the only NOE I have and it casts beautiful bullets once the mold is up to temp.

Thanks. That's the one I was wanting but is out of stock, like all the others I'm interested in. I've called a few times and can't get anyone to pick up the phone. So it seems like I may have to get an Arsenal but I like that NOE has punch dies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An 85 grain gas checked .25 lead bullet zipping out the barrel at 2000+fps is nothing to sneeze at.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Experienced advice. Will take it.
I have some 1886rifles in 33 WCF- for bigger deer. And a pre-war Model 71 in 348 WCF. Works on elk and moose.
The 99 is for smaller deer and....coyotes.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep. The best way to guarantee success right out of the chute instead of chasing "maybe" accuracy with most of the 100's available today. I would suggest Remington 100 CoreLoct bullets if they were available to the handloader, and if by chance they haven't screwed with the shape/length of them again, but that's moot as Remington evidently no longer gives a hoot about handloaders.
John inherited several hundred 100 CL’s and he cooked up 3 or 4 loads for me. They would fit in a quart jar lid at 100 yards. My R will stick factory ammo in a 50 cent piece. He wants to keep plugging away at it. I’m afraid by the time we find the recipe the half gallon jug will be empty. They came with a 257 Roberts. Once he gets his longer 25’s dialed in, I’ll let him work on mine again.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 04/07/23.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington Ammunition is no long the Remington of the old days...

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/remington-ammunition-loading-classics/456909

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
440 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.