24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know the VV 500 series are double based but so is Alliant Powders and all ball powders. Why does VV get so many
warnings on barrel Throat erosion and the others don't? Is it because VV has more Nitro than the others?

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Curious to WHO is issuing the warnings on the Vihtavuori powders?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Curious to WHO is issuing the warnings on the Vihtavuori powders?

It's just something I have seen on forms like this one. They say, "double based powders cause faster throat erosion" and then they mention VV powders.

For myself I have not noticed any problems and I use VV and various ball powders.

Still, I have seen this quite a bit, so I am asking this question. What is your experience?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I may be North Americas largest consumer of VVN160 (no, not really.)..I had no idea it was killing my rifles for years and years. But then I don't have a borescope...nor would I want to know....but it would be nice to blame my poor shooting on alligator throats. Military's routinely burn double base ball powders, they must not think it's too tough on throats. Short version...I don't know.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I may be North Americas largest consumer of VVN160 (no, not really.)..I had no idea it was killing my rifles for years and years. But then I don't have a borescope...nor would I want to know....but it would be nice to blame my poor shooting on alligator throats. Military's routinely burn double base ball powders, they must not think it's too tough on throats. Short version...I don't know.

VVN160 is single based powder from my understanding, its the VV500 series powders there talking about.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're right. I just read the VV #3 handbook, pg 48 thru 54...100 series is straight nitrocellulose...500 series has 2 more ingredients worthy of note. Nitroglycerol and...get this...an anti wear agent. They wouldn't put an anti wear agent in there just for fun. It must need it.
I incorrectly assumed from specific mention of Rel 19 in the N160 description column on pg 48, and that all Alliant powders were double base...ergo, so is N160...NOT. I think I'll just shut up now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
flintlocke,

I happen to have the VV #3 manual as well, which was published in 1999. Here's the direct quote:

"Geometrically, the powders in the powders in the N500 series are equal to the N100 series. Although these new powders have a higher energy content, they do not cause greater wear to the gun. This is because the surface of the powder has been treated with an agent designed to reduce barrel wear."

One of the Campfire folks who's reported more barrel erosion with N500 series is boatanchor, who shoots a lot. I tend to believe what he says, since our experience often matches. But I haven't used both the 100 and 500 series powders enough in various rifles to tell--which is mostly because I have to test a LOT of different powders, so rarely fire enough of one particular powder in any rifle. (There are exceptions, but so far not with VV powders.)

Plus, VV powders have continued to change in the 25 years since the #3 manual was published. Around 2-3 years ago they announced that ALL their powders now contain copper-reduction compounds, and are temperature resistant. (They may have used another word than "resistant," but that's the word I prefer, because have yet to test a powder at zero Fahrenheit that also gets the same velocity at +100 F.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer

In your experience what powders have the least variation in velocity with the temperature at 0 to 100?

Thanks

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/29/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have been a huge fan of Vihta Vuori powders for years, I use VVN130, VVN133, VVN140, VVN160, VVN165 and on occasion VVN170......I can say without hesitation that the 5 series powders are much worse with throat erosion than the 1 series powders for me I can live with 100fps loss using 1 series powders and gain double barrel life

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mule Deer...Good to get that answered, thanks. I will soon be shopping for newer offerings in the powder world...my stocks of HiVel #2 are getting low.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have been a huge fan of Vihta Vuori powders for years, I use VVN130, VVN133, VVN140, VVN160, VVN165 and on occasion VVN170......I can say without hesitation that the 5 series powders are much worse with throat erosion than the 1 series powders for me I can live with 100fps loss using 1 series powders and gain double barrel life
Wow, Boatanchor, you don't mince words...good enough for me and thanks.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Angus,

Rather than provide a short, Internet condensation of my testing, I would suggest my chapter on the subject in The Big Book of Gun Gack II, "Temperature and Rifle Powder," which contains not only a lot more basic information, but the results from range tests with various powder in cartridges from the .17 Hornady Hornet to the .375 H&H. If you don't have a copy, it can be ordered from www.riflesandrecipes.com--or if you prefer talking to an actual person, phoning 406-521-0273.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.