Print Thread
Hop To
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wheels up April 22nd for my first trip. 8 days hunting 9 nights. Flying from Pitt to Atlanta then onto Johannasberg. Overnighting at the Afton House. Used their VIP meet-n-greet and Mr X for permit. Early flight the next morning (6am) on Airlink to Port Elizabeth. Then a 2.5 hour drive to the lodge. Hunting the Eastern cape near Adelaide/Fort Beaufort area. Taking my lefty Sako Custom Deluxe 375H&H topped with a Leupold vari X iii 2.5-8x36 and shooting 275gr Hammer Sledgehammers at 2640fps. Also taking my lefty Custom 7mag topped with a Leupold VX 6 3-18x44 shooting 180gr Lapua Scenars at 2956fps. Will be taking my TBAC Ultra 7 for the 7Mag as well. Guns and ammo all packed and everything set out to pack my carry on and checked bag. Just want to spray down my outer layers with Permethrin a day or 2 before we leave and let dry. Think I’m ready!

My package is kudu, Nyala, gemsbuck, waterbuck and zebra. Plan on adding a bushbuck and eland to do the spiral slam as well. Also will add an Impala, blue wildebeest and warthog if a good trophy presents itself. Will shoulder mount everything except a flat tan on the zebra and BW. Having Lauriston Taxidermy do the dip/pack/crate. Will use African Trophy exports to ship(who Lauriston uses and has been using). Using Genus Logostics in JFK for import. Then shipping to the Wildlife Gallery in Michigan for the tanning. Wildlife gallery makes a spring and fall road trip to drop off/pick up hides through Pa and have coordinated with them to do it this way and save quite a bit on shipping. Then will drop off all to my local taxidermist I’ve been using for 30 years.

Been all over North America and Canada but nothing international. 15 hours on a plane sounds awful! I took seat 37A (window) both ways so u hope I can sleep. Traveling with my buddy I met on here (Hyde Hunter) a buddy and his wife then another buddy and his whole family. 4 of us are hunting, 4 are just doing excursions and sightseeing

Any words of advice or wisdom to share? I know take half the cloths and double the money and yea I’m already planning a return in 2025 for Buff! Lol Man I’m so freaking pumped!!!!

Thanks
Roy

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Can't wait to hear your report Roy, I know you've been preparing for a while. Take any "bumps in the road" in stride, as the Africa way is different than what we're used to. Have an awesome trip!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Can't wait to hear your report Roy, I know you've been preparing for a while. Take any "bumps in the road" in stride, as the Africa way is different than what we're used to. Have an awesome trip!!

Thanks brother! I’ll for sure give ya a report when I get back with pics. If I ever figure this pic posting stuff on here I’ll do it as well.

Roy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You are in for a fantastic time, enjoy every single minute of it! I really like the animals you’ve listed for your first African hunt, those are all interesting and desirable species.

Be sure to post up a report when you return. Lots of us enjoy hearing about a hunter’s first safari.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations on your first trip. I'm sure you, your family and friends will have a great time.

You've probably already done "all" the research and prep. I just want to toss out a couple of minor items that might end up having a significant impact then expected.

1. Make sure any US cash you take is the new current issue with the blue security stripe. IF you need to exchange US for Rand, the exchanges won't take the "old" currency. Most formal stores, restaurants all take credit cards but, if you want any street side souvenirs it will be cash. They will take USD but be VERY aware of the current USD/ZAR exchange rate. As of today, it's about 18:1 (18 Rand to 1 USD). Also, any street side vendors you can do a good bit of haggling with it they don't have signs with prices posted.

2. Credit cards. I would highly recommend you call your CC provider and make sure they know you'll be out of the US and in RSA during certain days. They may tell you you don't have to notify them of overseas travel. HOWEVER, IF your CC provider sends you email or text messages about "suspicious" transactions and you don't respond within their time limit, you could very well have your card turned off. I travel OS several times a year. IF I call the normal customer service number and explain I want to put a foreign travel notice on my account I'm always told I don't have to anymore. The first TWO times I believed them and had my card cut off early in a trip. So now, I call the fraud department and make sure they put an entry of countries I'll be in/transiting etc and dates for each. The reason most CC providers say they don't require a travel notice is due to the aforementioned email/text message verification....that's great IF you have cell/data or even WIFI access while traveling. Which brings me to.....

3. Make sure your cell phone provider plans work in the countries you're going thru/to. Some only work in the US. Some, like AT&T and Verizon offer international use add-ons for talk/data/text at either a extra daily, weekly or monthly rate. Nearly all lodging, restaurants, cafe's and Outfitter guest lodging have access to some amount of WIFI that you can pop while in camp etc. Most of the newer smartphones offer Voice over IP calling and simple text messages. The VOIP allows you to make regular voice calls directly back to the US just by dialing normal numbers. You can to video calls via iPhone Facetime, Goggle's Meet/Duo, or WhatsApp, Skype etc.

Lastly, things in Africa seem to happen in their own time and at a much slower, leisurely and sometime maddening pace. Take a deep breath, try to relax and kind of go with the flow a bit Things just seem to sort themselves out......usually and sometimes in a way much better than expected.

Take LOTS of photos and have a great trip.

Michael

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hope you have a great trip.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I will take care of them since I have been there (once ) so I know everything haha, Roy also forgot to mention he is going to have his trip filmed so that will be great. Eugene from Intaba Safaris seems like a great guy according to all reports we have gotten and the pictures we have received from his first clients of the year are very nice. since I went last April and took Gemsbuck, Impala, Blesbuck, and Red Hartebeest. this trip I am going for a nice mature Kudu, Sable and a Cow Buffalo might go back with him for a Bull in 2025 if my wife lets me, she says he is a bad influence so we will see what happens she might make me come out of retirement again and go to work yuck so reports will come in May

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My only advice is to start saving for your next trip to Africa . not kidding...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
My only advice is to start saving for your next trip to Africa . not kidding...

Ain't that the truth! I leave today on my third trip in 9 years. I thought it was amazing that I could afford one trip, but you will find a way. The hunting is like nothing I've done in Alberta, it is very special.

Enjoy your first trip!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Some great advice given already. I’d just advise you to keep a small journal with you throughout your safari and make daily entries at the end of each day. Record EVERYTHING- food served in camp, game spotted but not shot, scenery, interesting events, etc. I’ve used the same journal for my six trips to Namibia and when I’m feeling the urge for safari #7 I pour through my journal to relive those memories.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds like a great trip. Why the 375? Seems a lot of gun for the game you are pursuing.
Been there three times and doubt this will be your last.
Yes the 15 hour flight is not a picnic. Drink lots of water and little or no alcohol.
You are in for a forever lasting memory.

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.