Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just watched Top Gun with the kids.....If it's been asked before forgive me, but to the armed forces pilots here (Jorge,etc.) what was your call sign and how did you get it?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just watched a clip on the tube about pilots call signs and how they got them (Nasa channel or Smithsonian, can't recall).

Anyway, a pilot was starting to taxi a B1-B Lancer and had a small problem and throttled back down. Unknown to him a ground crew member mistook his intentions and circled on foot behind the aircraft.
The pilot quickly resolved the issue and powered back up, and the powerful thrust from the engines sent the man tumbling down the runway for about 100 yards, tearing up his duty attire and received a good case of road rash, but was not seriously injured.

He was called "Trasher" by everyone after that, and the handle stuck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That was not an Air Force practice when I was in. In Vietnam, we each had an assigned call sign, but it was unit based. At my first assignment, we all had the call sign Tonto, and I was Tonto 04. At Ban Me Thuot, I was Mike 58. The unit commander always had 01, the ops officer was 02, and so forth. But there were no "cutesy" nicknames. In Training Command, your call sign changed with every flight.

That may have changed, because I now see pilots with nicknames on their flight suit name patches.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty much how Rocky described it back in the day. I do recall that a few wise crackers got creative now and then. Call sign for one of my units was Killer Spade+whatever number you were assigned. Then this black guy showed up and..........he said he didn't need a number. So he was just "Killer Spade".

FWIW, the Vietnamese held the spade graphic and an evil bad luck symbol.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Call signs have been a part of Naval Aviation since WWII (actually since radios were installed on airplanes). It was a great way to "clear six" in combat if there was a bandit on your ass (or a SAMs eventually). Call sings were (are) assigned using a variety of methods, if your last name is "Rowe" for example, odds are your call sign is going to be "Skid" (or if word gets out from the laundry your skivvies had a few "bacon strip" stains on it.). Last name Little? callsign "chicken", etc.

The other method as it was alluded to was for something you did (usually stupid). We had a guy whilst doing preflight on a jet's tail on a carrier, leaned over way too much, lost his balance and went over the side. Callsign "Splash". Lastly, if you had a particularly hideous physical characteristic, that could be used as well.

Hey, speaking of grotesque physical characteristics, that gives me an idea! Let's have a callsign contest for this guy (after all he's god's gift to military aviation):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'll offer up a free box of ammo to the winner (determined by me of course)...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Call signs have been a part of Naval Aviation since WWII (actually since radios were installed on airplanes). It was a great way to "clear six" in combat if there was a bandit on your ass (or a SAMs eventually). Call sings were (are) assigned using a variety of methods, if your last name is "Rowe" for example, odds are your call sign is going to be "Skid" (or if word gets out from the laundry your skivvies had a few "bacon strip" stains on it.). Last name Little? callsign "chicken", etc.

The other method as it was alluded to was for something you did (usually stupid). We had a guy whilst doing preflight on a jet's tail on a carrier, leaned over way too much, lost his balance and went over the side. Callsign "Splash". Lastly, if you had a particularly hideous physical characteristic, that could be used as well.

Hey, speaking of grotesque physical characteristics, that gives me an idea! Let's have a callsign contest for this guy (after all he's god's gift to military aviation):

Shîtbird is my entry.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know who he is, but he's got a resemblance to Buford T...

Draw in a pencil thin mustache, maybe....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Keep em' coming, lads bullets are on me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Porky or hog as in boss hog, is my entry

Last edited by ar15a292f; 03/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Either “Tigger” or “Baloo”, I can’t decide.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Update, here are the prizes offered:
1. 308 150gr Winchester Power Points, Federal Hi-Shoks or Norma Whitetail
2 270 WCF, 130 Winchester Power Points or Remington Core Lockts
3. #006 Springfield: 180 Winchester Power Points

Choose one!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose Burnsie would be too obvious.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flameout.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter

My entry "Giggles"

GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fuel truck delivery boy "DOFUS"...

Though it's uncommon for an AF pilot we had a pilot appropriately nicknamed CRASH.
From the story I was told and he never denied it, he was flying a pilot pro, crash and dash. It was supposed to be the last approach, full stop at the end. Crash was having a rough day flying. Seconds before decision height someone said over the intercom "cheer up, this is our last approach". Crash, in the right seat thought he heard "gear up" instinctively reached for the landing gear handle and retracted the gear. Pilot pushed the throttes up to the firewall, forced the nose up but the boom scraped the runway surface. A couple of seconds later they would have trashed my airplane... 🤬

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Though it's uncommon for an AF pilot we had a pilot appropriately nicknamed CRASH.
From the story I was told and he never denied it, he was flying a pilot pro, crash and dash. It was supposed to be the last approach, full stop ar the end. Crash was having a rough day flying. Seconds before decision height someone said over the intercom "cheer up, this is our last approach". Crash thought he heard "gear up" instinctively reached for the landing gear handle and retracted the gear. Copilot pushed the throttes up to the firewall, Crash forced the nose up but the boom scraped the runway surface. A couple of seconds later they would have trashed my airplane... 🤬

Would this "Crash" bear the surname "Davis," by any chance??

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

From the story I was told and he never denied it, he was flying a pilot pro, crash and dash. It was supposed to be the last approach, full stop ar the end. Crash was having a rough day flying. Seconds before decision height someone said over the intercom "cheer up, this is our last approach". Crash thought he heard "gear up" instinctively reached for the landing gear handle and retracted the gear. Copilot pushed the throttes up to the firewall, Crash forced the nose up but the boom scraped the runway surface. A couple of seconds later they would have trashed my airplane... 🤬

Would this "Crash" bear the surname "Davis," by any chance??
No. Smitter...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a military pilot, but my brother was, his call sign was Fats (our last name Alberts)

There was a Cuban in one of his squadrons his was Bobaloo.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call sign.....Lizzo

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Call sign .......Too for

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.