Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The big one.

The community theater group was preparing for its performance of Thornton Wilder’s “Our Town,” at Alaska Methodist University when the Great Alaska Earthquake occurred on at 5:36 pm on March 27, 1964.

It was a mega-thrust earthquake with a magnitude of 9.2, making it the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in North America and the second most powerful earthquake ever recorded worldwide.

The quake lasted approximately four and a half minutes, causing widespread destruction. The epicenter located about 75 miles east of Anchorage, but it was felt as far away as California.

U.S. Army photo of downtown Anchorage after the earthquake of March 27, 1964.
The tsunamis generated by the earthquake caused devastation, particularly in the coastal towns such as Valdez, Seward, and Kodiak. Waves as high as 100 feet were reported in some areas, and entire villages were destroyed.

People in Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands, 480 miles from the epicenter, could feel the quake, and in Seattle, Washington, more than 1,200 miles to the southeast of the fault rupture, the Space Needle swayed. The earthquake caused rivers, lakes, and other waterways to slosh even as far as the coasts of Texas and Louisiana.

Water-level recording instruments in 47 states — every state but Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island — registered the earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Land in some areas was thrust up as high as 82 feet, particularly on a line from Kodiak through Prince William Sound. Other lands sank as much as eight feet.

“It was so large that it caused the entire Earth to ring like a bell: vibrations that were among the first of their kind ever recorded by modern instruments. The Great Alaska Earthquake spawned thousands of lesser aftershocks and hundreds of damaging landslides, submarine slumps, and other ground failures,” the USGS reported.

Fire breaks out at the Whittier fuel tanks on March 27, 1964 after the Good Friday Earthquake. USGS photo.
The earthquake caused 131 deaths, mostly due to the tsunamis, and many more were injured. 115 of the deaths were Alaskans. Another 40-50 Alaskans were hospitalized for care of severe injuries. Of the 115 who died, 110 of the death certificates mentioned drowning or boating-related. Seventy-five percent of those who died were men, 25% were women.

Most of those who died were working-age, between 25 to 34 years (18.2%). There were 19 deaths among children ages 0-4 (16.5%).

67% of deaths were white individuals, while 32% were Alaska Native people. One death was of an indeterminate race. The village of Chenega lost 23 people of the 83 who lived there. Two-thirds of the deaths were in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area, and Kodiak Borough had the second-highest deaths.

The damage caused by the earthquake was estimated to be around $311 million in 1964, which is equivalent to over $2.5 billion today.

Government Hill School after the Good Friday Earthquake. USGS photo.

The Million Dollar Bridge, knocked off its pilings over the Copper River during the earthquake.

https://mustreadalaska.com/march-27-1964-the-great-alaska-earthquake/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last home I owned in Anchorage was originally built in 1962 in the Turnagain subdivision about 1/2 mile from the bluff overlooking Cook Inlet. After the quake it was 1/2 block from the Inlet. A big one indeed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife lost her Grandfather and Uncle in Chenega.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My younger' birthday. Slid down and backwards 15 to 20 feet inside of the Denali movie theater.
No more school for the year. Lived one block away from Airport Heights school. Spent the next few weeks taking wagon loads of homemade bread, moose, and other foods to the school for the people displaced bunking there. Was a terrible, and yet wonderful time to be alive back then...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Friend of ours that I was talking with last night, said she and her family narrowly missed being flattened by parts coming of the exterior wall of the JCP store.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
My younger' birthday. Slid down and backwards 15 to 20 feet inside of the Denali movie theater.
No more school for the year. Lived one block away from Airport Heights school. Spent the next few weeks taking wagon loads of homemade bread, moose, and other foods to the school for the people displaced bunking there. Was a terrible, and yet wonderful time to be alive back then...

Now that's experiencing some real Alaska history.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My wife was born and raised in Seward, they were living at five miles out of town when it hit. She moved to Nanaka Valley later that summer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't there for the quake, but I understand Site Point, the Nike Hercules missile site out by Cook inlet had missiles knocked off the racks and were laying on the floor. They were armed nuclear missiles. After that incident the Army started putting inert plugs in the arming system to prevent an accidental explosion. The arming plugs are activated by G-force at launch. I wonder how much G-force is generated after a 7000 lb missile falls 4 feet to the ground ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
North side of Farmers loop staring at the Alaska range ....ian old couple I know/knew... they watched the ground come up and roll to them from their deck on their house they...r.i.p.. good story they told of it ...as I stood on there deck ..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
We were living in a trailer house in Kenai. When it started a friend and I were playing inside. My mother yelled at us for shaking the whole house. I told her I was pretty sure we were not doing it. It quickly became clear us boys were not the problem. Later on a State of Alaska pickup came by telling everyone to head to higher ground. After that one it takes a pretty good shake for me to even raise an eyebrow.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wasn't there for the quake, but I understand Site Point, the Nike Hercules missile site out by Cook inlet had missiles knocked off the racks and were laying on the floor. They were armed nuclear missiles. After that incident the Army started putting inert plugs in the arming system to prevent an accidental explosion. The arming plugs are activated by G-force at launch. I wonder how much G-force is generated after a 7000 lb missile falls 4 feet to the ground ??

kwg

Δ𝐩=𝐅netΔ𝑡.

Momentum = force * amount of time involved in the impulse.

So a slow crunchy landing on to fins and engine would mean low g forces, as would the drop from only 4 feet. No large value of “V” in the MV of momentum…

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Was that n.m.s. on Fire Island? My dad had wired on many of them in the state. All kinds of interesting places up here during lke's and. Kennedy's terms. Filed a young man's head with wonder it did...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Amazing!

Late 2018 we traveled from Vancouver BC to San Francisco. Stopping at Crescent City we read how the downtown area was mostly destroyed by a tsunami as a result of the great Alaska earthquake of 1964. Humbled me!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are places in Kodiak with photos of the tsunami damage. Every time i eat at the Chartroom i take a minute to look then over

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stop living in the past you old focks

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SSS when you have more years behind you than left in front of you, you will change your tune dude...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My aunt and uncle moved up to Anchorage
just in time to be there.

I was in a 5.4 , I cannot imagine what they and everyone else experienced that day.

I wish I knew what happened to the pictures they sent to my dad. Unfortunately, dad included, they’re all dead now.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My father in law was flying a bush plane out to Kodiak when it hit. He said he had trouble finding any place to set down that wasn’t littered with the debris from boats and trees and everything else. He spent a long time helping clear landing space and then flying supplies and people as needed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your father was an adventurous and good man AcesNeights, obviously, the apple didn't fall far from the family tree!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/18/23.

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.