Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Something just didn't feel right. Couldn't bring myself to buy a CVA Accura MR-X. I think it's a fine rifle, but something I would want to upgrade from a few years down the road. Just didn't seem like the right decision.

I called the nice folks at Woodman Arms and chatted about what I plan to use the rifle for, lead times, etc. Long story short, I'll have a Patriot 50 cal muzzleloader in my hands sometime this summer. Delivery actually works quite well so now the wait begins.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Something just didn't feel right. Couldn't bring myself to buy a CVA Accura MR-X. I think it's a fine rifle, but something I would want to upgrade from a few years down the road. Just didn't seem like the right decision.

I called the nice folks at Woodman Arms and chatted about what I plan to use the rifle for, lead times, etc. Long story short, I'll have a Patriot 50 cal muzzleloader in my hands sometime this summer. Delivery actually works quite well so now the wait begins.

Nice. I’m looking forward to mine.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
When you get it, let us know how you like it. I'll be anxiously awaiting on the west coast.

BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Why did they make the safety left handed?

I could see that being a big problem, when in a hurry!

Get close and wack em hard!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BS2

Which gun are you talking about?

If it’s the Woodman it’s reversible for righty or lefty.

Semper Fi
BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BS2

Which gun are you talking about?

If it’s the Woodman it’s reversible for righty or lefty.

According to the Woodsman Q&A:

CAN THE SAFETY BE SWITCHED FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, OR RIGHT TO LEFT?
No, it requires the appropriate trigger housing.

I hope they changed it. The one they showed in the video was a lefty, do they make a right hand safety?

Last edited by BS2; 04/01/23. Reason: More info

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes for sure. Mine will be set up just like the RH 7600’s I use.

Semper Fi
BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yes for sure. Mine will be set up just like the RH 7600’s I use.

This is good!

I think what they mean is that if you have a right handed trigger assembly, you cannot make it a left handed.

You have to buy the left handed trigger assembly to have a left handed safety.

Does this sound right?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes sir. Sounds right to me.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get 54 or 58 flinter.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a knight Light weight.

Its a $900.00 rifle but I want to move it.....open to offers. PM me for questions...offers>

Lefty

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Washington has several seasons where a muzzleloader is advantageous for drawing a tag or access. Thinking about dipping my toe into the muzzleloader game for those reasons. I'm starting from scratch, I know next to nothing about muzzleloaders and looking for opinions on what suits my needs from you experienced folks.

First, a few applicable laws in Washington:
- must be 45 cal or larger for elk hunting
- Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion. Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are legal
- Sights must be open, peep, or of other open sight design. Fiber optic sights are legal. Telescopic sights or sights containing glass are prohibited.

Several other laws at play but those are the big ones. Now what I'm looking for:
- simple to use and clean
- reliable and rugged

Not sure where I want to land on price yet. Mostly looking for the best value. What has worked well for you folks?

You asked for simple and reliable. Well first I see nothing in the regulations you mention that would preclude you from using a modern inline muzzleloader that uses a 209 percussion cap. You just have to use the open sights rather than scoping it. But that weapon is going to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more simple and reliable than some of the suggestions offered in this thread.

Given your request of simple and reliable and your admission that you are not very experienced with muzzleloading I find it baffling that you have people recommending flintlock rifles to you. And I say that as someone who owns traditional style flintlock rifles and loves shooting them. But flintlocks are much more complex and potentially problematic than a modern inline muzzleloader. For starters you typically need two different grades of powder, 4f for the priming pan, and 3f or 2f for the main charge. Many mass produced flintlocks lack a properly hardened frizzen which can lead to ignition problems down the road. The mass produced ones are not going to be hand tuned either. A custom built flintlock is going to be more likely to give you consistent ignition but they won't be cheap.

Also you need to ask yourself what type of projectile do I want to use. Because many of the traditional style muzzleloaders that have been recommended here have barrels with a slow twist rate like 1 in 60. That's good for stabilizing patched round balls but not good at all for a heavier conical or sabot. Just getting started and not sure how I would like it I'd go with something basic like this.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...pr2117snw+wolf+v2+nw+ss+blk+.50+cal.+fos

Not very expensive but good for the money. It has a 1in28 twist rate that will stabilize sabots or conicals whichever your state allows. It uses 209 primers for very reliable ignition. If you find you enjoy muzzleloading you can get something more expensive down the line. But hell, even where scopes are allowed muzzleloading is typically a 150 yards or closer affair. Restricted to open sights as you are it will probably be closer than that. Even a inexpensive CVA Wolf like the one in the link will shoot more accurately than you could ever need at those distances.

I wouldn't use more than a hundred grains of powder. Black powder is not terribly efficient and you reach a point where you are just blowing unburnt powder out the end of the barrel for little actual increase in velocity. A hundred grains of black powder or black powder substitute behind a 250 grain or heavier bullet will kill anything in North America and most things on the planet.

Good luck and have fun.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I take it to read 209 primers are legal " Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are legal" and nothing is mentioned forbidding in-lines. Just about any off the shelf ML will work. It is the number of bells and whistles that drive up the price.I have both a TC Hawkin and a TC Impact inline.I have killed elk with both .The Impact can usually be found for less than $300 as are few Traditions .

They all will shoot accurately enough with the right load and bullet .My only advice is to stay away from any brand that has plastic sights.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by smallfry
Get 54 or 58 flinter.
We may as well save our breath...these guys have no respect for workmanship, tradition, history or hunting skills... in their world, plastic, stainless, gimmickry, gadgetry, the latest is the greatest. And the game departments don't give a damn as long as they can sell more tags.

Last edited by flintlocke; 05/27/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
If you want to shoot a patched round ball, find a 16 bore English Sporting Rifle.

You can load it up or down, depending on what you are hunting.

Wide butt plate, 2.1/2"s of drop, a fine hunting gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
We may as well save our breath...these guys have no respect for workmanship, tradition, history or hunting skills... in their world, plastic, stainless, gimmickry, gadgetry, the latest is the greatest. And the game departments don't give a damn as long as they can sell more tags.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by smallfry
Get 54 or 58 flinter.

They want the latest and greatest. Ain't about hunting anymore. Ain't about becoming skilled hunter or being proficient with your rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you use modern powders?

I am just your average Joe.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.