Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have a project 1889. Needs magazine and wood to be complete. Has engraving(Stamped) on receiver of a tree or Ivy limb with single leaves on tip of three branches. Cant find an example of this anywhere. It is a 32-20. Considering doing it but have a half dozen other projects in the works so may sell it. Anyone familiar with this design??
Thanks,Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Joe, put some pictures over on Marlinowners. There are a few X Marlin employees that are like encyclopedias.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, I`ll try that.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I looked thru Brophy's Marlin book at all the engraving patterns offered. I see none that fit your description. Possibly someone added it at a later date???
Phil

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Phil. After looking at it again I agree that it looks like someone practiced their skills. With it being 133 years old and maybe several owners good chance one was a budding engraver. A corner on the opposite side of the receiver has a small section engraved as well as the area around the tang screws. I`m leaning towards restoring it and have found the magazine. Looking for the wood and crescent buttplate now. The search is always the fun with one of these.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm the fellow who picked up Joe's 1889 back last year. I've been working on the rifle off and on. So far I've restocked the rifle and replaced the missing parts. Next I hope to reline the bore. The bore was pretty much toast. While this is being done, I will probably have an engraver friend do some metal work and see if we can do something with the amateur engraving. There are several places on the barrel that could use some draw filing. I've fired the gun and it works pretty well. just accuracy is the pits since the bore is so rough. I'll post up more pics probably in the spring.

Attached Images
marlin 32 20.jpg (72.97 KB, 81 downloads)
marlin 3220.jpg (74.32 KB, 81 downloads)

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I'm the fellow who picked up Joe's 1889 back last year. I've been working on the rifle off and on. So far I've restocked the rifle and replaced the missing parts. Next I hope to reline the bore. The bore was pretty much toast. While this is being done, I will probably have an engraver friend do some metal work and see if we can do something with the amateur engraving. There are several places on the barrel that could use some draw filing. I've fired the gun and it works pretty well. just accuracy is the pits since the bore is so rough. I'll post up more pics probably in the spring.

You had me on the rifle and you had me on the wood but you lost me when you put the cheek piece on a lever action. Nice work though.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It was a stock that I had on hand. Loved the grain and been wanting to use it somewhere. So it ended up here.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
J
Joe Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice old rifle but, I believe the front sight is on backwards.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No biggie. I just found a 32-20 barrel liner so it will be disassembled in a few weeks to be relined. I’ll have that sight corrected.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 163bc, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.