Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More videos i watch and reviews i read on various models and brands of boots, i question the weight of boots.

Brand XYZ, one review says it’s lightweight, one guy says it’s ok. One guy says heavy….

What’s it for you ?

I wear steel toe boots all day at work, so any thing less than would be lightweight for me. I walk each evening in a pair of Hoka Clifton’s.

25oz a boot?

20oz?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
it seems always wet when i hunt in Minnesota plus most of the time i want to control my scent too,so i wear muck boots there easy on and off too . muck boots fit good i have walked many miles with muck boots on . i have light , medium and heavy insulated muck boots depends on the temp. and if i am going on a cold deer stand or walking. i seldom wear tie boots anymore but i always wear 2 pairs of socks , i do keep the inside of my boots dry with a boot dryer always.

Last edited by pete53; 03/31/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BigDave;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that central Mississippi is getting appropriate weather and that you weren't affected by that tornado recently.

Boots...

When it comes to the topic of boots, one of the things I think that are missed a whole lot is the size of the person, thus the size of the boot because in my experience that makes a substantial difference.

We'll all talk about terrain, pack weight, wet or dry conditions, so that's helpful, but we seldom mention boot size.

Personally, I became aware of that as a factor years back when I bumped into another local sheep hunting and saw he had the same Canadian made boots on as mine. When I asked how he liked them, he said this was his second pair, that they were warranty because the first pair had broken on the welt with only a couple uses and the current pair looked like they were doing the same thing.

He was a big dude and I'm a little dude however, so my size 8½ boots were much, much stiffer than his size 12 or 13.

Now not all boots will be that way, but many are we've found.

We see that a lot in women's boots for sure too - that they're overly stiff in smaller sizes.

Now I've gone to Zamberlan Vioz GT boots since 2019 for early season boots and they're much lighter than my usual 11" tall Meindl boots.

The one downside is I get more spear grass seeds in them which is a pain. I could wear gaiters I know, but they're much warmer too which somewhat defeats the purpose for me.

Anyways, to wrap it up, if you have larger feet then you need to make sure that the lighter boots will still give you the support you require for the terrain you hope to traverse, you know?

Things I've noticed and all that.

Hope that made sense and was useful for you or someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

Yes, we dodged the tornadoes.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

In my original post, i should have mentioned i was talking of hiking boots.

There’s plenty of choices, but it’ll be internet shopping for me, not real gear stores around here..

Pete, i do hunt in rubber boots. Dryshod brand.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BigDave;
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the reply.

I'm glad to read you were missed by the tornadoes for sure.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my response and you were clear it was hiking boots.

That said, the lighter weight boots which might also give less support might be a stiff boot in say a size 7, just okay in a 10 and not give nearly enough support even for hiking on rough terrain in a 12 or 13.

Now I do get that I'm not answering your question head on, but using my lighter Zamberlan Vioz GT as an example, in my size and with my weight, they're fine for even medium heavy packs and some ugly sheep country - but - they might not be in a bigger size with a bigger user.

I apologize for perhaps over complicating the issue, but that's how I currently think those factors will affect what boot works for you.

In terms of do I feel better at the end of a tough stomp with lighter boots, yes absolutely.

Again, I'm a little old man though who is in decent to above average shape for someone who is in his early '60's.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Dwayne

PS extra thought.

For me using a walking stick - just an aluminum trekking pole has made at least as much difference as to how tired I don't feel as the lighter boots.

It was huge for me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When weather is mild I wear trail runners like Salamon's and bring the wal-mart croks for stream crossings. Use to be a boot fanatic but boots gather dust now adays.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For hiking outside of hunting season it's trail runners (La Sportiva Akasha's); I tried trail runners as an experiment during hunting season and hauling meat and side-hilling make them no beuno

My hunting boots, while not really light, are relatively light for hunting boots- Crispi Thor II about 20 oz/boot in side 11. They are pretty stiff as well for a "lighter" boot, which I find I need in the mountains, especially with weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used trail runners for the first time on a summer backpack scouting trip last year. It was awesome. For the actual hunt, I wore what I used to think of as my lightweight hikers. Those are Lowa Renegades. I think that I could have just used the trail runners for the hunt though.

I used to wear Kennetrek mountain boots for archery and rifle season. Then started using the Renegades for archery. Now I don't even own a heavy mountain boot. I've been using the Renegades in the snow.

Less boot is working for me, but I think it's taken some time for my feet to adapt. I think wearing Croc-type flips did something weird to one of my feet. Since I ditched those cushy sandal things my foot seems a lot better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wore a pair of Scarpa Rios for years. Went through 3 pairs of soles. Loved them, but they were quite heavy. Don’t know what they weighed, but the Rio was an old school leather mountaineering boot.

Now I am quite content with cheap lightweight hikers or trail running shoes. If it’s very wet, or cold and snow, I’ll wear pac’s or xtratuf’s.

My biggest bitch with most newer, more mountain oriented, boots is the narrowness of the sole. My ankles are pretty schit and regardless of the stiffness of the boot, the narrow soles seem to role my ankles far more than a cheap pair of nylon Costco “hiking boots”

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Count me in the movement towards light, low-top hiking shoes. I’ve done a lot of miles (500+) in low-top Solomon X-Ultra’s.

In my opinion and experience, this general type of shoe is the far better mousetrap.

I know the standard refrain in service of big tall clunky boots is ankle protection. But consider this. Your ankle is a critical part of the biomechanics of your leg as it articulates and flexes moment by moment to adjust to vagaries in the terrain. That’s a GOOD thing. It’s why evolution put the dang thing there. Reducing your ankle’s ability to flex doesn’t reduce the forces acting on your leg as it’s dealing with terrain; it just requires OTHER parts of your leg and body to compensate; knee, hip, foot, back, etc. That ain’t ideal.

If you’re still wearing big boots, the 70’s called, they want them back <g>.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/02/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I’m just out trail hiking I like lightweight trail shoes. Right now I’m using a pair of “ON” trail shoes and I really like them. Very light and comfortable. I even took them last year on my sheep hunt to use for crossing creeks and camp shoes. They’re light and seem to dry quickly.

If I’m mountain hunting I wear a leather boot. Meindl, Lowa, Kennetrek.
My favorite pair for mountain boots was Lowa Cevedale Tech Light Hunters. They were awesome. I’m a size 8 foot and not a big guy and these boots were light but with good stiffness under foot for heavy loads and good ankle mobility. They had narrower soles than other boots in the same size and with the good ankle mobility I felt very agile and comfortable in rocks. Only problem was they leaked like crazy right from new. I wore them way past their expiry date because of how good they felt. My sheep partner threatened to throw them away because my feet were soaked all the time ha ha. I really like the Kennetrek Hard Scrabble I have now, but they are heavier and wider sole so don’t feel as agile. But no wet feet anymore.

When cold weather deer hunting I wear Hoffman 14” Pac boots or a pair of Helly Hansen light weight winter boots.
The Hoffman’s are tall and very heavy but warm, good traction and good protection from getting wet.

The HH boots are extremely light and flexible like a shoe, and not as rugged as the Hoffman.

I seem to wear both depending on what I’m doing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A lot of great info..

Thanks.

Guess i should have put in OP,

At what weight do you consider light vs heavy?

It’s subjective i know, just trying to get a reference to compare reviews with…

One guys heavy is anther guys lightweight… vice versa.

Take for example the scarpa Kalaish trek gtx,

Bills video says it’s lightweight.
Jim’s video says they are heavy…

Dave

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i walk every day a mile or more and mostly outside i wear a size 13 light insulated muck boots ,2 pairs of socks and about 6 months a year we have snow i have no choice but to wear boots , so for me muck boots work great ,are really tuff and fit well too. its rare for dry weather where i live and right now we still have plenty snow will be weeks before its gone. i have wore muck boots in the wet snowy mountains all day long too. when you talk boot weight i worry more about dry and warm feet . i was a REA lineman / pole climber for 35 years in northern Minnesota so i understand boots and boots were important for me to have good boots always 7 days a week . this year i turn 70 years of age we climbed all poles in all weather conditions day or night we had no buckets my 1st 20 some years so lineman had to have real good boots . good luck with your choice,Pete53

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
More videos i watch and reviews i read on various models and brands of boots, i question the weight of boots.

Brand XYZ, one review says it’s lightweight, one guy says it’s ok. One guy says heavy….

What’s it for you ?

I wear steel toe boots all day at work, so any thing less than would be lightweight for me. I walk each evening in a pair of Hoka Clifton’s.

25oz a boot?

20oz?

It kind of depends on what you're using them for IMO. For my one and only sheep hunt in AK I wore a pair of Hanwag GTX's and those are right at 26 oz. each. I consider those lightweight especially for that application.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In a hunting boot anything sub 20oz is super light. I wear Crispi lapponia’s. They are 19oz. Best boot I have ever owned.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wagner
In a hunting boot anything sub 20oz is super light. I wear Crispi lapponia’s. They are 19oz. Best boot I have ever owned.

Have two pair. Stiff, but comfortable after a little break in.
Both have leaked. One badly.

Going back to Mendel perfects.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Count me in the movement towards light, low-top hiking shoes. I’ve done a lot of miles (500+) in low-top Solomon X-Ultra’s.

In my opinion and experience, this general type of shoe is the far better mousetrap.

I know the standard refrain in service of big tall clunky boots is ankle protection. But consider this. Your ankle is a critical part of the biomechanics of your leg as it articulates and flexes moment by moment to adjust to vagaries in the terrain. That’s a GOOD thing. It’s why evolution put the dang thing there. Reducing your ankle’s ability to flex doesn’t reduce the forces acting on your leg as it’s dealing with terrain; it just requires OTHER parts of your leg and body to compensate; knee, hip, foot, back, etc. That ain’t ideal.

Your low tops should be almost perfect for you on a rocky side hill...

Last edited by battue; 04/04/23.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue

And therein lies the rub. What's best for your uses usually won't be best for mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

And therein lies the rub. What's best for your uses usually won't be best for mine.

smokepole;
Top of the morning to you once more sir, I hope the day's behaving down in Colorado for you all and you're well.

Indeed that is always the rub isn't it?

When we're comparing notes, it's tough to articulate all the variables.

Little canyon on the mountain behind the house for instance.

[Linked Image]

If we're hunting deer and it bails off the grassy section and drops off the cliffs into the rocks below, our day just got a tad more complicated and gear selection changed or might could do anyways.

Personally my tall Meindl boots sit behind the pickup seat complete with fresh sets of socks so at very least when I get back to it with the first load I can change it up if need be.

Oh, we hunt moose up on the grass too and if a bull did a death run over the edge, our plan is to move down to the carcass for a couple days and make jerky out of the entire thing... laugh

Best to you all this Easter.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If your dumb enough to shoot anything bigger than a Cotton Tail, on the edge of that Canyon, forget the Boots, take some match's and build a fire and eat the critter down there. the hell with packing it out.I've never been that hungry or Dumb. Rio7

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RIO7
If your dumb enough to shoot anything bigger than a Cotton Tail, on the edge of that Canyon, forget the Boots, take some match's and build a fire and eat the critter down there. the hell with packing it out.I've never been that hungry or Dumb. Rio7

LOL, that's one way to look at it. The other way is to lace up your boots and get to work.

Thanks for posting Dwayne, beautiful country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have big feet, size 13, so I try to avoid heavy/bulky footwear as I don't need feet looking any bigger than they are and it makes driving more difficult too with jumbo boots on the pedals. In my experience, heavy footwear typically uses inferior quality components, as in outerwear, you pay a premium for lightweight. Every additional ounce on your feet compounds with every step adding to fatigue. My order of preference is fit/utility/weight as boots have to fit properly and do the job you have in mind.

Just like my hunting clothing, I prefer to eliminate weight whenever I can, going from heavy wool bids and jackets to KUIU has been a game changer to me, never going back! Same can be said for heavy, bulky boots. I've gone from wearing rubber pull-on mudders to my hiking boots with gaiters. Lighter, more comfortable, easier to walk in-cover more ground and the gaiters keep the could air from working up your pantleg and keeping your upper boots and pantlegs dry.

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/04/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7

RIO7;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's been behaving for you down in your section of Texas and you're well.

Thanks for the chuckle, I appreciate it! laugh

That little canyon is up on the mountain behind the house here. In fact the bluff in the center rear of the photo is just down the road from where I'm sitting. I can pretty much see the spot I took the photo from when I'm at the top of our driveway.

We're not as steep and rough as some of the coastal mountains or the Kootenays for that matter.

When we were mountain goat hunting up in the Stikine country which is just off the Alaska panhandle, there were a couple occasions where we just laughed at the goats we were watching because from our vantage point we absolutely could not conceive how they'd got there! grin

For sure I've never been the sharpest tool in the drawer and while I have been hungry on occasion, even while hunting, I'd say that mostly we hunt in those areas to test ourselves.

Honestly it felt pretty good to be working the same places I had in my 30's and being able to still keep up with one of our crew who was not even 30 yet and I'd just had my 60th birthday.

Different strokes and all that I suppose.

All the best and thanks again for the chuckle.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/04/23. Reason: more information

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't really consider weight when picking boots. Usually its non-insulated vs Insulated. I used la sportiva karakorum's all last year and have Zamberlan Mountain Pro EVO GTX RR for when it gets real cold.

Bought some la sportiva aequilibrium's for this summer/early season this year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They are. smile Note ankle doing it’s thang.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/04/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of great info..

Thanks.

Guess i should have put in OP,

At what weight do you consider light vs heavy?

It’s subjective i know, just trying to get a reference to compare reviews with…

One guys heavy is anther guys lightweight… vice versa.

To me, a trail runner is light. A medium hiker for trails, like a Lowa Renegade or Salomon Quest, is mid weight. Off trail boots like Kenetrek mountain boots or Crispi Nevadas are heavy.

I consider anything above a medium hiker "heavy" but that wouldn't stop me from using them if needed. And I don't feel like there is a huge weight penalty going from a trail runner to a Renegade or Quest. Sure, there is a measurable difference but I don't really notice it.

I do know what you mean though. The Nevada seems noticeably heavier than a comparable Kenetrek but neither are light. Maybe that is just getting too picky.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/05/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d just say folks should try a pair of the modern light hikers/trail runners. Just try them. I’ve been backpacking for almost 50 years; I have a closet full of boots. I’m not saying this based on a trend or a whim, it’s based on experience. I’ve backpacked well over 500 miles in VERY rugged terrain in the last few years in those Solomons. And in mere days I leave for an 800 mile backpacking trip in very rugged terrain, and that’s what I’ll be wearing. Think some about what I said about the biomechanics of the leg. Don’t take the ankle out of the equation. Your knees, hips, and body in general will thank you. And you’ll feel like a kid out there without the clunky boots. smile

Just try ‘em.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First of all, nothing has to be heavy if there is a lightweight version that works. Then must get trekking poles to help. I hunt and hike in some of the steepest terrain and prefer low tops trail shoe over boot. Boot if strong in the right places can save your ankles but you are more prone to fall on your knees or hit your head falling without giving in the ankle first. Boot can be useful for snow. The determination for me is usually heavy snow. Gators can help but not so much on low top. Your ankles should be strong. If your ankles are strong and free moving range you will be more sure footed.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jeeper
When weather is mild I wear trail runners like Salamon's and bring the wal-mart croks for stream crossings. Use to be a boot fanatic but boots gather dust now adays.
x2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I’ve been backpacking for almost 50 years;

Don't listen to this guy. If he was any good at backpacking, he'd have gotten there by now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve been backpacking for almost 50 years;

Don't listen to this guy. If he was any good at backpacking, he'd have gotten there by now.

I’m hopelessly lost, but making good time!

Was just talking with my dad last night about our first actual backpacking trips. He’s thinking it was ‘77. The dude carried a half-gallon of milk the very first time, I kid you not. Lord only knows what else we were carrying. Hey, I was a kid. I blame him, haha. I remember my pack was some janky old thing checked out from the outdoor program at the college he taught at, same with the greasy stinky old flat sleeping bag, etc….. And I remember it was really hard, it hurt, got blisters, froze my ass off that night, and whatever I had for a sleeping pad, wasn’t.

Within a few years we had our gear much more together (for the era anyway) and my younger brother got old enough to start coming along. That was when we’d get up into the Pecos, the San Juans, I don’t remember where else. Put me in the wilderness with a creek and my rod and a few Panther Martins and I was in heaven.

I sure hope kids these days are getting these experiences, but I fear they aren’t.

I’ll have a pack on in just a few days. smile 7 weeks, 800+ miles. Maybe this time I’ll finally “get there”. Jeez, I hope not. Then what?!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/05/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've got it all wrong. It's not "then what?"

It's "what then?"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've got it all wrong. It's not "then what?"

It's "what then?"

Ha! Perfect! Love it!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like lightweight boots for hiking. My heavy boots are pacs and swampers that are for other purposes.

For general hiking I like trail runners. I want something sturdy enough that my feet are well protected but I’ve never found myself needing the ankle support of a boot even back when I wore hiking boots. The freedom of movement and nimbleness in a shoe height hiker along with not having sweaty ankles is more than worth it to me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I like lightweight boots for hiking. My heavy boots are pacs and swampers that are for other purposes.

For general hiking I like trail runners. I want something sturdy enough that my feet are well protected but I’ve never found myself needing the ankle support of a boot even back when I wore hiking boots. The freedom of movement and nimbleness in a shoe height hiker along with not having sweaty ankles is more than worth it to me.

That's me pretty much word for word.

Moreover, starting about 25, maybe 30 years ago, I began developing heel spurs. They've been surgically repaired so they are no longer ripping my achilles tendons open from the bottom (Haglund's Deformity) but I still have very protruding heel knobs. I cannot wear high top boots with the standard fairly vertical back anymore. I'm good for a couple hundred yards then my feet are disabled, trashed, for a period of days. Mediums are marginally better, I can go a couple miles a day or 3-4 miles then sit for a couple days to recover. With low tops I'm good for .. well, my heels aren't a hindrance anyway. I've done 20+ a number of times without problems .. or without heel problems. 20+ kicks my geezerly arse. Among low tops, weight does have an impact so far as fatigue. Lighter is mostly better but not taken to extremes. A shoe with good cushion will be heavier than one with none. There are good ounces and bad ounces.

The shoes I hike (and hunt, and fish, and explore, and whatever else) are mostly around a pound a pair. I've got some down around 6-7 ounces for the pair but they have no padding at all. They have a place but it isn't every place.

For general purpose, wear around town, wear on the trails, wear off in the woods, for me Merrell MOAB Ventillator low tops get the nod most of the time. If things are wet, I will switch to the waterproof version. I have a couple pair of mid height that I wear about 2 hours a year. For wet grass 'n' stuff I go with the waterproof low tops and gaiters. The only time I really NEED boots anymore are with snow shoes.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i prefer to protect my ankles and also get some ankle support too so short tennis shoes or real short boots for myself i never buy anymore . i have experienced a damage ankle and cuts from rocks , a broken ankle when i was young so give me a high top something for better protection.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Should be perfect in 6 inches of snow. Or when it’s not supposed to snow, but…..

Tried something similar once when I left for a winter day hunt and left my boots at home. Didn’t last long till my feet, socks and low riders were all soaking wet in 15-20F.

Last edited by battue; 04/07/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
battue;
Top of the morning to you sir and Happy Easter, it's been a long time since we've chatted here and I trust time has been good to you overall in the interim.

You bring up a good point regarding "Or when it's not supposed to snow, but..."

We've got the luxury of looking up at the mountain behind the house most times and if it's got a fresh dusting of white, we'll dress and also drive accordingly.

Over the years we've seen the weirdest weather swings, even in the heat of summer when a hail storm dropped the temps from shirt sleeve to what felt like freezing with almost a half inch of hail on the ground.

Last fall we had no fall to speak of either, it went from full on summer with temps in the 30°C range in mid September to -10°C and snow up to my knees on the moose opener which is Nov. 01st. Now that much snow there isn't unusual, but it's typically not that depth until Christmas.

While we did see that it had snowed, we didn't understand just how very much it had snowed until we attempted to get into where we'd planned to look for a legal spike bull, only to find we were pushing snow with the front bumper.

It's been a good discussion here and I hope one and all find comfortable footwear and have a great season in the backcountry, wherever it is they find it.

Happy Easter to you all too.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/07/23.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Should be perfect in 6 inches of snow. Or when it’s not supposed to snow, but…..

Tried something similar once when I left for a winter day hunt and left my boots at home. Didn’t last long till my feet, socks and low riders were all soaking wet in 15-20F.

Try a set of gaiters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Low tops are no fun in deep snow- conceded.

“Boots” have their place. Just not on my feet in 99% of the circumstances I’m hiking. smile

Just put a brand new pair of Solomon X-Ultras in the resupply box that’ll be waiting for us at around the 500 mile mark. The pair I start out with- and will do the first 500 in- are gonna be wet for weeks. We cross a river over 200 times in one stretch of about a week’s hiking. Not kidding. No point in getting jiggy with it, changing shoes every 10 minutes….. Wet shoes it shall be. I’m not worried about the shoes per se but we need to average about 15 miles/day so I am worried what my feet are gonna do, banging big miles while wet. At that point we’ll be at least 3 weeks/ 300 miles in, so hopefully they’ll be hardened up… although it’s the hard spots (callouses) I’m worried about being wet for that long….

Of COURSE I tweaked my knee yesterday doing spring yard work trying to get the place in order to leave for so long. Greeeaaat.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/07/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dwayne,

And Easter wishes to you and yours also. May Spring be springing in you area....It is trying hard here.

My only point would be the old saying "One size doesn't fit all". Some have weak ankles, some have had damage, some may have diabetic neuropathy where the ankles, shins and even calves can use some extra assistance. Some may hunt in low land slush or push cattails for Pheasants on a regular basis. Some may hunt the snow often. Others may even prefer some of the excellent supportive rubber options that are more common today. All situations where low hikers may not be the best choice..

Last edited by battue; 04/07/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree, shoe fit and preference is the very definition of personal and to your point, situational.

To my point if I described the things I’ve done in the last few years in detail the vast majority of guys would say oh you need big supportive boots for that! Just sort of by rote, they’d say it… “everyone knows…”, they’d say. And they’d be wrong.

I think the demographic here skews “older’n dirt” and might in essence medically require certain things from a shoe. But for the younger, fitter guys reading this… if I can save you a decade or two of unnecessary suffering and encumbrance then I will have done good work here today.

It’s for the children, battue. The children. 😎

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are LW boots with ankle support and LW Low cuts. You always seeming to relish playing the role of the contrarian, I'm not surprised what you choose. However, both boots in your pics would definitely be classified as hikers and not a Mountain hunting boot. At least not by the majority of those who go into the mountains during hunting season, and you would be old in the tooth compared to those who make a living at it, when the weather may be fickle. Anyway, in your pic was there a trail close by or were you constantly climbing the rocks you chose for you BA pic? The children would like to know. Since your activity....verified by pics and timing.... seems to be more along the lines of summer trekking rather than actual mountain hunting.

Last edited by battue; 04/08/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As this is the backpacking subforum on a hunting forum….

I think I’m the realm of hunting big game, with the possibility of packing meat- lightweight trail runners aren’t going to cut it. I’ve bagged a ton of peaks in Montana in trail runners, ditto racking up tons of 20-30 mile days backpacking. The weight on my back ranging from 5-30 lbs, it’s basically the only footwear I use in those endeavors.

Now with hunting big game, I’ve found that very lightweight boots and trail runners simply don’t cut it for hauling 70# loads. Simply isn’t enough stiffness and your footwear will roll over itself, especially side hilling.

I do look for the very lightest boots to accomplish that, but I don’t think I’d classify these boots as “lightweight”; lightweight among mountain boots, but not “lightweight” in the realm of hiking shoes/boots.

If there are folks capable of packing meat (in rough terrain) in very light hikers and trail runners- I tip my hat laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
battue- yes, I’m a contrarian among contrarians. That should just be an auto-.sig on the Campfire. smile

That pic is from the JMT in the high Sierra Nevada. If I get a chance I’ll post a few more pics that show the trail; but it’s over 220 miles long so, y’know…. 90% of your footfalls are on granite up there. It’s not a trail in the common sense. To your point, neither is it OFF-trail, although I’ve done tons of that in general in low top hikers. To my point, on the JMT your footfalls can be at any angle. Speaking for myself and I believe anyone with reasonably functional ankles…. Let them dogs RUN! Let the ankle flex and do its thing. It’s why it’s THERE. Millions of years of evolution are not wrong.

Mike- if weather allowed (I’m not wearing low tops into snow) I’d pack in in the Solomons, hunt in them, and pack the first load out in them. And have my stiffer, high top Solomon’s at the truck if I felt I needed to swap.

Y’all know I’m jinxing the effin’ F out of myself here and now I’m gonna sprain an ankle on my upcoming hike. 😂

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mtwarden

I think I’m the realm of hunting big game, with the possibility of packing meat- lightweight trail runners aren’t going to cut it. I’ve bagged a ton of peaks in Montana in trail runners, ditto racking up tons of 20-30 mile days backpacking. The weight on my back ranging from 5-30 lbs, it’s basically the only footwear I use in those endeavors.

Now with hunting big game, I’ve found that very lightweight boots and trail runners simply don’t cut it for hauling 70# loads. Simply isn’t enough stiffness and your footwear will roll over itself, especially side hilling.

I do look for the very lightest boots to accomplish that, but I don’t think I’d classify these boots as “lightweight”; lightweight among mountain boots, but not “lightweight” in the realm of hiking shoes/boots.

If there are folks capable of packing meat (in rough terrain) in very light hikers and trail runners- I tip my hat laugh

100%...

Our steep rocky desert mountains even with little to
no weight on your back literally eat lite hikers. I've tried multiple pair of top shelf light hikers and they don't come close to cutting it...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well if you'd stay out of the sotol and yucca, you might get more mileage......

JK, I like light hikers for day hikes on trails but anything else I use a boot. Never know what you might come across when you go cross-country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW

100%...

no weight on your back literally eat lite hikers. I've tried multiple pair of top shelf light hikers and they don't come close to cutting it...

That's where I'm at too.

I wear the lightweight trail hikers for kicking around the yard, and light duty trail hiking in dry weather. Problem is they don't hold up well at all if the going gets tough and wet conditions. The Gore-tex Salomon stuff that I wear, usually leak right out of the box. All that said, they are comfortable and I do like them for easy duty hiking.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

100%...

What brand / model do you use?

Thanks for all the replies.. good info here.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I realize that what works for one person may not work for another. So I'm curious what you guys define as "light hikers". Some examples of shoes would be appreciated, for reference.

ETA - From what I have read in the thread, light hikers are not suitable for hunting. So what shoes or shoe class is enough for "hunting" off trail?

I'm looking forward to the replies as my opinion has definitely changed over the years. And I don't pretend to have all the answers.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/08/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

100%...

I’ve settled into Crispi Thors, they fit me like they were made for me. Good stiffness, good outsoles, but relatively light.

When it comes to boots, fit is king. That is the top priority.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

100%...

Boots are unique to the individual. I've not tried them all but I've tried a bunch. Kenetreks are my favorite fit, but they don't last me a year unfortunately.

I'm almost at 2 years with these. To me these are a sturdy boot, with a lightweight "feel" and have held up pretty dang well. They are Scarpa SL Actives..

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GregW;
Happy Easter and good morning to you sir, I hope all is well with you and yours.

Thanks for the photos and the boot reports as well.

The slice marks on your boots speak volumes about where you're going and the type of rocks too. They're not all the same somehow or at least our BC rock slides don't seem to be.

We used to have a shop that stocked Kennetrek an hour north of us, but they don't apparently anymore and for us to order boots by mail just becomes problematic. I've actually heard similar reports about them not lasting from some of the folks up here who wander off the beaten path.

As I'd mentioned, the Zamberlan Vioz GT I got feel great, but I can't help but think they're not going to last super long without a rand, which is too bad but that's life.

The last thing I'll throw out as a bit of a broad statement or perhaps a question is that the German made boots always fit me just a wee bit different than the Italian made ones.

Our eldest daughter is my usual hunting partner and my wife and I offered to get her some new good quality hunting boots for a birthday present. As an aside, I find it really tough to get presents for our adult girls now, so we'll often do something akin to that - have them pick what they want/need.

Anyways she ended up with Scarpa boots I want to say and I thought they were really well made.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us, I enjoy learning about conditions in parts of the planet I've never seen personally.

Happy Easter and all the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have *multiple* choices when choosing your loadout:

Firearms/ammunition.

Apparel.

Tents.

Packs.

Boots.

Fuels/stoves.

Knives/tools/hydration/navigation, etc. etc.

Transport.

Back up

Plan B and C.

Never be confused again.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
have you tried altra trail runners?

100%...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looks like AZ eats up boots fairly quick.

I like midweights. I need as much ankle support as i can get with soft ground. Lowa Tibets for me. I do my daily 3 mile walk in them and hunt in them. In my area, everything gets wet and saturated. Keeping water out of them is the key to keeping things light.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey folks. Hope this finds you well. We are 3 weeks/ about 350 miles into our hike; so far so good. Averaging a bit over 15 miles/day per our plan. Did over 180 river crossings (Gila) some waist deep and fast… was very glad to have easy ankle articulation. The next section, north to Grants, has lots of sharp lava and I’m thinking I’ll have my house sitter send my next pair of Solomons in that resupply box. That’ll be around 450 miles on this first pair. They won’t be “done”, but the resupply after that is kind of sketchy as far as delivery. I already did a comical pad rodeo trying to get replacement sent ahead after my BA failed catastrophically in the desert south of Lordsburg… you can’t always count on deliveries to some of the remote places that accept hiker boxes etc.

I’m in cahoots with scores of other CDT hikers, some doing huge miles a day (25+)…. this is freaking NM on the geological continental divide; it’s rugged as hell. Every single one is wearing low tops. Every single one. Just sayin.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey folks. Hope this finds you well. We are 3 weeks/ about 350 miles into our hike; so far so good. Averaging a bit over 15 miles/day per our plan. Did over 180 river crossings (Gila) some waist deep and fast… was very glad to have easy ankle articulation. The next section, north to Grants, has lots of sharp lava and I’m thinking I’ll have my house sitter send my next pair of Solomons in that resupply box. That’ll be around 450 miles on this first pair. They won’t be “done”, but the resupply after that is kind of sketchy as far as delivery. I already did a comical pad rodeo trying to get replacement sent ahead after my BA failed catastrophically in the desert south of Lordsburg… you can’t always count on deliveries to some of the remote places that accept hiker boxes etc.

I’m in cahoots with scores of other CDT hikers, some doing huge miles a day (25+)…. this is freaking NM on the geological continental divide; it’s rugged as hell. Every single one is wearing low tops. Every single one. Just sayin.
GFY

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I agree with other posters - fit, so it does not rub feet / squeeze toes or slip and cause heel blisters.

But if walking over steep and uneven ground, plus carrying load, support is important.

Due to living in a wet country, I would add waterproof boot performance too. Wet feet quickly get cold, plus blisters / infections.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I can comfortably pack in a week's worth of hunting gear up a trail wearing lightweight merrell trail runners. I also use those for getting quickly up a trail or up a hill in the morning as they're easier on everything than boots. But I put real boots on at the top, and wear boots period for packing meat.

I'm not too sure that boot weight is super relevant used in this way. The old norwegian welt type is very heavy to hump up a hill, but a real godsend for packing meat down. Newer ultralight Charmoz or La Sportiva types are fine but they don't keep you upright like the old leather, having used both. The UL sportivas almost have a hinge at the ankle which gets annoying on a sidehill, no matter how tightly tied.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are approaching 600 miles in, and I just ran the numbers, we are averaging 15.3 miles/day for the last 36 days with (1) zero day in Grants for Cyn to rest an injury. Very tan, very skinny, trail legs are rockin’. The very sharp young lava south of Grants in Malpais (sp) monument tore the top mesh my right shoe pretty good- I’ll post a pic later. I repaired it with 120-lb braided fishing line from my halibut reel that I carry for just this reason, and first a fishhook, then in Grants a heavy duty curved needle, so now it’s Frankenboot. It’s been holding for, hmmm, about 150 miles across all manner of terrain so I’m hoping it can do the last stretch here w/o drama. REI won’t fast-ship to general delivery so I couldn’t get new ones sent ahead in time, then I had no signal for a week+….

Great community of folks here on the CDT. Some really impressive hikers- people doing way more miles/day than we are.

(sensitive types, read no further)

In a hotel room in north NM, gonna go hit up the weed shop. In a world where personal freedoms rarely win the day, by God this one DID, and since I spent my misspent youth avoiding getting popped here in NM with weed, buying some legally, here, is gonna be pretty sweet. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/17/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got home yesterday. The summary is 600+ miles hiked, 15 miles/day average with one zero day, started 4/11 and finished a couple days ago. We went from the border at Crazy Cook monument to Ghost Ranch in northern NM. We weren’t able to do the last section to the CO border, roughly 100 trail miles, due to the massive snow load in the southern Rockies. We did get a good taste of it going from Cuba up and over San Pedro Parks Wilderness. Unbelievably wet up there. Postholing thigh deep. Got caught in a storm. Very cold, very wet. There’s a reason folks stay out of the high country during big melts- it’s miserable up there. Not much fun; we felt better about the decision not to proceed into the mountains north of Ghost Ranch.

As pertains to this thread and as promised, my shoe. I ended up using the same pair for the whole hike. I would’ve switched out after this damage but it wasn’t feasible. The logistics of gear problems on the trail are formidable. Will explain if anyone cares. So, this happened on very sharp lava and falls under the operator error category- with the obvious caveat that a more stoutly-constructed (heavier) shoe would’ve likely fared better. When it first happened I naively tried to reinforce it with Tenacious Tape, which is remarkable stuff, but not THAT remarkable.

When we got to the ranger station at Malpais we sat at a picnic table and I was able to use a #8 fishhook as a needle and reinforce that very important rubber “finger” with a single loop of heavy braided fishing line. This was really difficult. It held until Grants, about 40-50 miles if memory serves.

In Grants we did our zero day so my wife could try to get her injured toe to calm down (it did not) and I bought a heavy curved repair needle at Walmart and did this. The mesh isn’t really structural per se, but it still seemed wise to back up the loops I put in the rubber “finger”.

When we got home yesterday the grass was thigh-high so I mowed in them. The repairs are still holding. In total the repairs held for almost 200 miles over all manner of terrain and many water and snow crossings.

FWIW, nobody and I mean nobody was using anything other than low tops. Mostly Altras. One guy used them with an ankle brace because he “has had a bad ankle since he was a kid”…… make of this intel what you will.

I lost 20 pounds on this hike. Hit the scale at 186 yesterday. I never thought I’d see 180-anything again in this life! smile Got seriously tan. Pics upon request. It was an incredible adventure.

Happy trails everyone.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats to you and your wife- sounds like a fun, but tough adventure smile.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks! The hiking itself wasn’t as relentlessly steep and rocky as say the high Sierra Nevada’s. But on balance, we felt it lived up to its reputation as a difficult hike. Parts of it were certainly really hard. Not the least of which was over 180 crossings of the Gila which was in flood. Waste-high fast cold water with strainers downstream will get your attention… especially when it’s x180. That’s where Cyn hurt her toe (rock fall) and it’s a bit miraculous I never hurt or tweaked anything. It was hard to leave the trail after all those miles and all that time. You get addicted; it’s pulling you north..… We met a bunch of great folks, of all stripes and some as old as us, and are rooting hard for them to make it to Canada. Statistically, most will not.

On the flipside… our bed at home feels goooood, lol, and eating real food is da bomb.

I had major sleeping pad issues combined with major logistical issues resolving said problems and ended up with some informed opinions about several different setups. I’m gonna dig up the post I made several years ago about older guys/backpacking pads and update it with what I learned.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got home yesterday. The summary is 600+ miles hiked, 15 miles/day average with one zero day, started 4/11 and finished a couple days ago. We went from the border at Crazy Cook monument to Ghost Ranch in northern NM. We weren’t able to do the last section to the CO border, roughly 100 trail miles, due to the massive snow load in the southern Rockies. We did get a good taste of it going from Cuba up and over San Pedro Parks Wilderness. Unbelievably wet up there. Postholing thigh deep. Got caught in a storm. Very cold, very wet. There’s a reason folks stay out of the high country during big melts- it’s miserable up there. Not much fun; we felt better about the decision not to proceed into the mountains north of Ghost Ranch.

As pertains to this thread and as promised, my shoe. I ended up using the same pair for the whole hike. I would’ve switched out after this damage but it wasn’t feasible. The logistics of gear problems on the trail are formidable. Will explain if anyone cares. So, this happened on very sharp lava and falls under the operator error category- with the obvious caveat that a more stoutly-constructed (heavier) shoe would’ve likely fared better. When it first happened I naively tried to reinforce it with Tenacious Tape, which is remarkable stuff, but not THAT remarkable.

When we got to the ranger station at Malpais we sat at a picnic table and I was able to use a #8 fishhook as a needle and reinforce that very important rubber “finger” with a single loop of heavy braided fishing line. This was really difficult. It held until Grants, about 40-50 miles if memory serves.

In Grants we did our zero day so my wife could try to get her injured toe to calm down (it did not) and I bought a heavy curved repair needle at Walmart and did this. The mesh isn’t really structural per se, but it still seemed wise to back up the loops I put in the rubber “finger”.

When we got home yesterday the grass was thigh-high so I mowed in them. The repairs are still holding. In total the repairs held for almost 200 miles over all manner of terrain and many water and snow crossings.

FWIW, nobody and I mean nobody was using anything other than low tops. Mostly Altras. One guy used them with an ankle brace because he “has had a bad ankle since he was a kid”…… make of this intel what you will.

I lost 20 pounds on this hike. Hit the scale at 186 yesterday. I never thought I’d see 180-anything again in this life! smile Got seriously tan. Pics upon request. It was an incredible adventure.

Happy trails everyone.

Gorilla tape.

I carry a few turns around a water bottle.

Never low tops on boulders, scree and talus.

Nice repair job.

I carry waxed floss for sutures (loose), repairs etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. No tape was gonna hold that, not for almost 200 miles…. I also carry some Gorilla clear repair tape around a trekking pole. Had to use it on my Frogg Toggs ultralight* before San Pedro. Also, if you’ve never tried Tenacious Tape, it’s pretty amazing stuff for gear repair.

Cyn carries floss for that same reason. I carry heavy braided fishing line from one of my halibut reels. The problem here was that the needle she carries wasn’t touching the hard rubber of the Salomon’s. I now have a kit of much heavier needles- including curved- which I’ll winnow down to just a couple before the next big trip. Got it at Walmart in Grants.

We did a lot of boulders, scree, and talus. And everything else. The geological diversity of NM is off the charts. I do realize, I have awesome ankles, knock on wood, and not everyone does. I still believe everything I typed about these low light shoes for most guys for most backpacking.

*Frogg Toggs ultralight jackets are an amazing value and are very very light, and after 35+ years in a very wet climate i have an experience-based skepticism about the latest greatest waterproof/breathable wünderfabrics, and am loathe to spend the big bucks on them. However, they (Frogg Toggs ultralight) are very fragile.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/27/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just gotta show this. We are on top of a big mesa here; I’m on the edge of a cliff. This is about 500 miles in. Now that’s a tan! smile My body knew just what to do in that sun- from growing up in NM I suppose. However it really trashed my skin on for example the backs of my hands. I have some pics that would make my dermatologist puke.

That REI sun shirt was awesome.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/27/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, used tenacious on a rainfly damaged in a windstorm.

Still Tenacious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No mention by me that it would last the claimed """" 200 miles"""".

If you thought those crap shoes would last you 200 miles in that terrain...get some training.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work, Jeff! Sounds like a fun trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
No mention by me that it would last the claimed """" 200 miles"""".

If you thought those crap shoes would last you 200 miles in that terrain...get some training.

They lasted 600+ miles total, and other than me catching the mesh on a sharp lava “gut hook” did fine even in the lava. And even THEN, they were structurally intact enough w/o any repairs to have gotten me to Grants where if I’d been willing to pay exorbitant shipping, or spend another day or two in a motel, I could’ve had a new pair waiting. They are excellent shoes and I highly recommend them, if they fit a guy. Full stop. I’ve been using them for several years now, both the regular and goretex versions. Over 1k miles of backpacking, from Hell’s Canyon to the Sierra Nevada to NM. I also have a closet full of “boots” and backpacking experience with them going back to the 70’s.

Put bluntly, in my experience what you describe as “training” is flat wrong for most actual backpackers. I do agree that there are *some* hunting conditions that warrant a more heavily-constructed shoe.

Horse/water and all that. Do as you see fit.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Nice work, Jeff! Sounds like a fun trip.

Hey Jordan! Been too long. Thanks! It was a remarkable experience. Still processing it. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Really nice trip Jeff, thanks for sharing. I've been using Salomon X-Ultras for the last ten+ years, and will NEVER go back to boots for backpacking. I think I have four pairs currently but I'm quitting them this year to try a pair of Hoka's (yeah I know, fuggly!). I'm curious to see if any of the hype is real - we'll see. There have been a lot of negative reports about the durability of the current X-Ultra you used, but I'd say yours did just fine, despite needing repair. Also, the idea that any tape would have fixed that shoe gave me a chuckle. Yours was the right solution, and is why I carry a super heavy needle/thread for just such a problem. Dental floss works too. I've also been carrying Tenacious tape for years. As you say, the stuff really works.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Any experience with 7-strand paracord?

TFF!

Originally Posted by Brad
Dental floss works too. I've also been carrying Tenacious tape for years. As you say, the stuff really works.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, the Salomon’s (I also have some heavier mid-height boots from them) fit me like they were made for me… that, plus as you say it’s not like Altra’s or Hoka’s are going to get any traction (no pun) around here due to cosmetics, whereas at least the Salomon’s look “tuff enuff” that your basic ‘Fire denizen might at least consider them. So that’s why I’ve been pimping the Salomon’s in particular. Because truth is, the folks actually banging huge miles are using Hoka, Altra, and a couple others pretty much exclusively. Goofy-looking shoes, for sure. We had multiple conversations on gear with other CDT hikers as you can imagine… the single, overriding consideration is “does it WORK?”. It’s a reality-based endeavor. People backpacking huge miles every single day for months are not hung up on cosmetics.

On that note, I had to chuckle at SJ’s comment that I should get some training. Talk about being stuck in a mental rut and not even having a glimmer…. Training from WHOM? Why the heck would I listen to some “trainer” regurgitating decades-old pap? I’m in my late 50’s and just hiked over 600 miles with one day off in almost 7 weeks while averaging 15 miles a day. I’m all ears when it comes to intel from other experienced folks but, I mean, I are one. smile

A few more pics. Look at my hand. Zoom in. That spot on my index finger would re-split every day. That’s a trekking pole callous on my inner thumb. My skin is a disaster. There wasn’t much to be done about it other than, maybe, even MORE sunscreen and lotion. I don’t know. It was so dry and the sun was so intense…

Water was a major “thing”. It was over 120 trail miles from the Mexican border before we hit the first actual creek. Prior to that, it was water caches in the desert maintained by the CDT association and other “trail angels”, and cow water. Lots and lots of cow water. Here’s Cyn getting some. We- and everyone else- used a Sawyer filter. There’s a hint. Also, Smart Water bottles. There’s another.

There’s a lot of old stuff in NM. This was at the TLC Ranch; they maintain a water cache and let hikers camp on their land.

Water was NOT a problem in the Gila canyon, other than crossing the river over 180 times. Stunningly gorgeous. The tree is an Arizona Sycamore and is huge beyond the photo’s ability to communicate.

Yours truly, so that Mike can make fun of my “classic” old capilene leggings! smile Actually he’s off doing huge things of his own right now.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/29/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
More shoe stuff. This is at the Toaster House in the tiny non-town of Pie Town. That’s the Wall of Shoes. Sorry for the bad pic. We ate major pie in Pie Town. It’s what you do. smile If you google Toaster House there's a lot there. Very cool story & place. If you dig around (early May) you’ll find a pic of Cyn and I in front of a really old truck.

These are my shoes/socks day 3 in the Gila canyon. It froze hard that night. My shoes and socks are stiff as boards. Had to put them on… and wade back into the icy river. This brings up another comment. Shoes/socks used on a hike of this type need to be able to a) function wet and b) dry quickly. Gore-Tex or leather would be a disaster.

And another comment. My Salomon’s were incredibly durable- everywhere except that top mesh. Many was the time I’d scrape them hard against something really sharp and look down expecting damage and there was nary a mark. In other words, absolutely zero “chunking”. My wife’s Altra’s were a different story. They are made of much softer rubber and kind of “eroded” as the trip went on. I’ll find them and take a pic.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our filtration system. Dirty bag, Sawyer, clean bag. Requires a cheap adaptor- details on request. You can also use a Smart Water bottle to squeeze through to another one. You will not wear out the very light, incredibly durable Smart Water bottle. Big hint. smile. Geez, I sound like Larry. First pic is the Chama, where that water came from… I was carrying a Tenkara rod and planned on catching some trout there- which I used to do in the 70’s there as a kid- but obviously that wasn’t happening. You can see Cyn getting water if you look closely.

The Sawyer is awesome. Look at that. That’s after 6+ weeks of filtering god only knows what. Same filter… Never so much as funny-smelling farts from bad water.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, looks like you're using a cnoc bag for your dirty? In over 25 years of backpacking here in Montana, I've never treated water. One of the benefits of living here. Even on a 3 mos long Appalachian Trail trip in 1977 I think I treated water only twice (back then it was Halazone). But much of the CDT is another story, and there's no way I'd be drinking in cattle country without a Sawyer, BeFree, et al.

Yeah, goretex in hiking shoes is a zero. I quit buying them with it a few years back. I still use my goretex ones for spring snowshoeing, but that's about it. Same here on the Ultra's, they fit me great and I love the lace system! I'm just wanting to try something with more cushion, and the Hoka seems like the ticket. We'll see. Both the Altra's I've seen on trail, and those of friends, have left me unimpressed durability-wise. I'd like to see your wife's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, CNOC for dirty and EverNew for clean and then the blue adaptor you see. Hang it, set up the Duplex or whatever, gravity does the work and there’s 2 liters clean water.

We tried a BeFree and it was the BEST…. Until it stops working. The Sawyer is field-maintainable but the BeFree really isn’t.

FWIW, the goretex X-Ultra’s are really good shoes. I toggle between those and the regular ones depending on the season; we have very wet winters here and they do a good job of keeping my socks dry on day hikes and around the property in the wet grass and weeds and so on. But for through-hiking type stuff, no way. They’d never dry out. They’d get really stinky.

I’ll track down her Altra’s and snap a pic—

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The erosion I was talking about. These were new at the beginning so this wear is after the same 600+ miles as my Salomons.

As folks are looking at this, and judging the brand, please contemplate what 600 miles really means in this context. 600 miles is considered solid mileage to get from shoes in a through-hiking context.

The treads:

Turns out, one can buy a decent set of heavy repair needles for just a few bucks at WalMart:

And this is my dog, lol. My new phone keeps spitting these slideshows at me from my pics and I went “awwww!” and screen-shot this as it went by. She was pretty happy to see us when we got back.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
El toro poo poo.

600 miles (in your pack).

Maybe you're thinking of the Maypop brand tires you bought for you rice-powered truck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, sheriff Joe, the hiking pice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, lets see the sole wear on the bottom of the Salomon's if you don't mind...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL, sheriff Joe, the hiking pice.

Train so that your manboobs no longer bounce when you go down a flight of stairs.

Bring your ponytail out here. We can exfil you back to your couch after your second mile.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Exfil" LOL. How are you gonna stay current when your subscription to "Soldier of Fortune" expires?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just because you were a girl scout and I wasn't and you avoided service, doesn't mean youi need to bring your adoptive mother into your argument.

Fix your manbun, missy. You're not funny OR clever, either. A flamin' pus c, though! Ask the native Americans living in your vicinity that are aware of your short height. Go on, pus c!

Get back to your Target display merchandising, little dried up old rainbow man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
El toro poo poo.

600 miles (in your pack).

Maybe you're thinking of the Maypop brand tires you bought for you rice-powered truck.

There were plenty of things in my pack for the 600+ miles I carried it. But my wife’s shoes weren’t one of them, lol. You should just stop digging. Your cute frilly lil’ pink insecurities are showing with every shovel-stroke.

10-ply BFG AT’s, FWIW. wink

Brad, I’ll snap a pic of the sole of the X-Utras here in a bit. I’ll put them next to brand-new pair I had here at home that I opted not to have sent in the Grants resupply box because the first pair still had so much life left in them… of course it was in the miles before Grants where the lava got ‘em, so I regretted that call.

We keep about an acre mowed here, and the grass was thigh-high when we got back, and I’ve been attacking it, so you’ll have to forgive them being a bit “green” now.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/30/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, 600 miles mowing your lawn. Got it.

Thanks, Grampy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, 600 miles mowing your lawn. Got it.

Thanks, Grampy!

Are you calling me a liar?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here you go Brad.

FWIW, if I was starting over again at the Mexican border, I’d be wearing Salomon X-Ultra 4’s. Very satisfied with their overall performance. Note the utter lack of “chunking”…. and I love the unique lacing system; very quick and easy to adjust tension on the fly and that’s really useful when doing long miles in varied terrain. And, in the years I’ve been pretty much wearing X-Ultra’s exclusively, I’ve found their “Contra-Grip” tread pattern to be the bar-none best overall sole pattern for traction in all conditions, that I’ve used in my life.

We should talk SOCKS. And blister management, lol.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple more pics of the Gila canyon. Most CDT hikers took the “High Route” alternate because the river was flowing at much higher CFM’s than what the forest service says is safe. There was (1) set of footprints ahead of us, at the time we went through. It was tough sledding; the plan going in was to slow down to 8-10 miles a day and enjoy it because it’s one of the prettiest places anywhere on this planet. Ha! We busted our ASSES to make 8-10 miles a day! In many areas the “trail” was completely washed out by the flooding. It was a hot mess in that canyon.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Luxury items I carried:

Glock 43 9mm with (1) magazine for 7 rounds total. CYA carbon holster. 23 oz. It was a PITA flying with this.

A high-end Tenkara rod my dad gave me prior to the trip, with a very small tackle kit comprised of several Panther Martin spinners and some flies;

$5 el-cheapo (but very light because they are crapola, haha) camp sandals patterned after the original Teva’s. I’m wearing them in the pic up above, somewhere, where I’m sitting down.

A cork ball about the size of a tennis ball, for rolling knots out of tissues. This thing saved my butt on the JMT a few years ago when I was still battling plantar fasciitis in one foot and a fibular plateau injury in my calf that was horking my knee. However I never used it on this trip because frankly, my “grandpa” body felt great! We mailed some stuff home from I think Silver City. This was among that.

My sleeping pad system. This is a whole story in itself, a tale of woe and despair and futility and redemption, haha. I’m going to resurrect an old thread I started years ago to talk about this. Anyway, started out with a Big Agnes inflatable that definitely qualified as a luxury item.

A thin beanie cap I wore at night while sleeping. It froze many times on this trip. I was glad for the beanie.

A few joints and a tiny plastic bottle of highly concentrated tincture I made.

I think that’s about it unless one counts a spare pair of underwear as a luxury item. My clothes in general were very limited. I had hiking shorts, the blue capilene leggings, and Kuhl running pants for my lower half. That’s it. I figured I lived my first 22 years in NM without rain pants so why change now. Up top I had the sun shirt, a very thin black fleece, the REI down puffy in the pic above somewhere, and a Frogg Toggs ultralight jacket. And a canvas Carhartt hat. In the storm and snow at 10k+ feet going over San Pedro Parks I was wishing I had a) my trusty old midweight capilene shirt and b) a more sturdy (and thus dependable) jacket. I think I’m going to go with an Anti-Gravity Gear jacket, which is NOT breathable but IS waterproof and much tougher.

We got really stinky at times but we’ve been together since 1988 so, y’know.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL sheriff Bloe of the backpacking police.

You crack me up!!!!

And by the way, you can spell out "pussy."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Ma'am.

After you dress his man bun, would you please roll your husband to the keyboard?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your obsession with men’s buns is a bit unseemly on a family forum, SJ. The children!

Then again I’d be deflecting too if I’d said the dumb shït you said.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, since you’re a X-Ultra guy. This is a bit confusing because the filthy one in the pics is the NEW X-Ultra 04, the one I just used on the CDT, and the newer looking one is the version from a couple years ago. Thought you might be interested in the differences.

Note that the cutout for the Achilles in now a tab (!). I thought this would be an issue, it was not. The tab is actually very soft and flexible. Never noticed it. It does make putting the shoe on even easier.

Note the significant beefing up of the upper lacing point on the new version (again, the dirty shoe). Also note that the shape of the cutout for the ankle knob is different. On my right ankle only, the new version rubbed the knob a bit more than I’d have preferred. I put a piece of Luko tape on the knob for the first week or whatever then never thought of it again. Just an FYI.

Other than those differences… meh… it’s an X-Ultra, and that’s a good thing. I was very pleased with the shoe.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/31/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your obsession for being deliberately stupid tops everything, but then again you are well advanced in age and deteriorating health is mirroring your President and your boyfriend smokespoles.

Try again, wimp.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol… lookit you, tripping over your feet to prove you got nuthin’… Laffin!

You should be so lucky as to possess my mental and physical abilities when (if) you reach my age. I don’t like your odds.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your and smokespoles female perspective is appreciated.

Good that you can identify and accept your anatomy in your earlier post.

Try waking up earlier before hobbling to your Altair 8800 to spew.

Your parade mates are waiting to see your outfit on your float this weekend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As trolls go, you suck. Just FYI.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whannnn...(sniff sniff).

Buh bye.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry I hurt your feelers, but someone had to clue you in.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I think your soles have another 200 miles in them. All-in-all I think the Xultra's did very well for you. My Hoka's arrived today (Anacapa Breeze). Talk about ugly, old man shoes, but my gosh they are comfortable! I seriously doubt they will be as durable as my Xultra's though.

Aside, you married well! My wife only likes 2-3 day trips anymore, but aside from being 62, she does have real knee issues.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The soles might’ve gone another 200, though I was feeling the sharp rocks through them by the end there... But they’ve been relegated to the honorable final job of “yard shoes” now.

I talk a big game about these lighter shoes, haha, but I have not actually tried Hokas or Altras or the like myself yet. The Salomon’s fit me so well, and my plantar fasciitis issue has not flared up since I pretty much exclusively started wearing them, so I’m sticking with what I know works for the moment. As you know, older bodies are a bit of a Rube Goldberg device and when you have the various pieces and parts workin’…… don’t change a thing.

Thank you, really, thanks. I’m not worthy. Cyn is a very tough human being and is living for the moment, at least until she gets clear from some pretty scary shït we dealt with last year. I’m biased, but I find her very inspiring. With that being said she’s already agitating for starting another big one- ideally getting back on the CDT and trying for it in this calendar year- but I gotta knuckle down and make some $$. You know how self employment goes. No worky, no money.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I need boots - I wear boots.

Not some kinda tennisbootsthing.

These are Belleville's, and have the lightweight MeraMax polyurethane soles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Comfortable, good support and protection, and wear like iron.

Boots.

GR

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's just friggin awesome, on so many levels.

Especially the carpet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Boots.

GR

Right, sure. But the question is…. when do you need boots? I ain’t putting my feets into big heavy restrictive shoes like those unless there’s a really compelling reason. That’s just begging for a foot/leg injury.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Boots.

GR

Right, sure. But the question is…. when do you need boots? I ain’t putting my feets into big heavy restrictive shoes like those unless there’s a really compelling reason. That’s just begging for a foot/leg injury.

Boots - as soon as it's no longer concrete/asphalt/mowed grass.

And those boots are not big/heavy/restrictive.

The pictures are from when they were new.

As mentioned, the soles are polyurethane - about half the weight of vibram, and more flexible.

The leather has softened up like a good leather tennis shoe, and is about ready for a sno-seal treatment, and they are soft-toe.

Lace them tight at the bottom, and either loose or not at all on the top.

Good traction/support/protection.

And by adding a thick wool sock, they make fine moderate winter boots.

I hunt and hike them year round.

Also got them for $35 on a MidwayUSA clearance sale. 8>)

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well…….. they actually are big, heavy, and restrictive within the context of this thread. Obviously, if you’ve been following it, I utterly disagree that a person “needs” anything of the sort to leave asphalt or mowed grass. In my experience, the modern tennisboothings are the far better mousetrap and I encourage you to try some.

I think- heck, I know from experience- that there’s both a lot of ritual associated with a guy “putting on his boots”, as well as a very real security-blanket aspect. It’s a girding of the loins, so to speak. It’s fear-based; it’s going on the assumption that we humans are somehow separate from the world, weak, unsuited to the task… which is emphatically not true. Everyone reading this exists on this world because their ancestors were BADASS. Think about that. We belong here; we earned it, and the proof is that we exist. Our ancestors didn’t turn an ankle on un-mowed grass and then fail to procreate. Our bodies are amazing. My message is completely positive; just trying to share the word (hey brother, have you heard the word?) smile because I’ve done this hiking/backpacking thing a LOT, and done it both ways, for a very long time….. and I’m speaking some *truth* here, don’t know how else to put it.

There’s a lot of joy in the discovery that one’s legs work as intended, and actually do better and are healthier wearing much more minimal footwear.

Just a few recent examples from the trail. Trail name “Stagecoach” is retired JAG (Army) and late 50’s like us. Trail name Bradventure is retired military, then a cop, also late 50’s. Trail name CatDog is a woman in her 60’s. Trail name The Forester is, you guessed it, an east-coast forester in his 50’s. On and on. These are real humans I just spent almost 2 months on a difficult trail with, and with the exception of CatDog, they were averaging MORE than the 15 miles a day that we were doing, with full packs, a weeks food, however many liters of water the situation required, etc. Not a “boot” amongst them. Then of course there were many more younger folks. Hell… we hiked one day with a young woman, trail name Huck, who had already done 7 miles when we connected about 7 am. We hiked 20 miles with her before we flamed out for the day. 20 miles- think on that. Last I saw Huck she was still trucking that day; my guess is she topped 30 for the day, given she was at 27 at the time. She was wearing SANDALS fer chrissakes. Sandals!

You don’t “need” boots. Or at least, the vast majority do not the vast majority of the time.

That being said- glad you are getting out there and have something that’s working well for you. 👍

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.......there’s both a lot of ritual associated with a guy “putting on his boots”, as well as a very real security-blanket aspect. It’s a girding of the loins, so to speak. It’s fear-based; it’s going on the assumption that we humans are somehow separate from the world, weak, unsuited to the task… which is emphatically not true.

Dang, that's what I've been doing wrong. All these years I just thought I was lacing up my boots!!!

Who knew?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right?! But now you have Heard the Word. You belong. Fear no more!

Well…….. I mean, not you specifically. You need to wear BOOTS. 😂

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like light hikers for hiking in the summertime when loins don't need to be girded. During hunting season, I like to keep my feet dry and boots work better for that. And loins don't get girded, they get grilled on the campfire.

YMMV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boots have their place, and I far and away prefer a mid or tall in late October/November elk hunting when the snow flies. Apart from that, this old dog learned a new trick a decade ago, and I'll never wear anything but light hikers from Spring through early Fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hallelujah brutha! Preach it, lol.

I’m hoping to penetrate the good ol’ boy disinformation network regarding “boots”, well-intentioned as it may be, in order to save some YOUNG dogs decades of suffering for no good reason.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hallelujah brutha! Preach it, lol.

I’m hoping to penetrate the good ol’ boy disinformation network regarding “boots”, well-intentioned as it may be, in order to save some YOUNG dogs decades of suffering for no good reason.

It will take more than a pagan religion to separate men from their boots.

Good boots - are.

tennisbootsthings... aren't.

No offense.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know about "pagan religions" other than Marxism or global warming.

An assortment of different boots for different tasks separate wearers who trudge on soft trails, mow their lawns or adventure between their bed, couch, toilet and pickup truck from those that are able to travel in the mountains, safely and comfortably (for more than a few hours).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good boots - are.

No offense.

GR

This reminds me of an old saying; "you don't know what you don't know."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
why do some people bitch how other people do stuff , this was a good thread tell the know it alls started bitching about foot were , shut the [bleep] up

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ended up with some Scarpa Kailash gtx.

They come in wide version.

Now to try them out.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good boots - are.

No offense.

GR

Mountain trails, rock falls, river marshes, swamps, thickets, timber woods, oak flats, etc.

Just a good, light weight boot, like the Bellevilles.

No decimal point tennisbootsthings required.

Would be surprised if they lasted a month.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good boots - are.

No offense.

GR

Mountain trails, rock falls, river marshes, swamps, thickets, timber woods, oak flats, etc.

GR

So, while I've used and use both boots and low hikers you've only used boots. In other words, you're guessing. I'm not.

Aside, this is the BACKPACK hunting forum, not the hunters campfire where all the closed minded old duffers participate in a never ending circle jerk. You may want to hang out there. I think it would be a better fit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know about "pagan religions" other than Marxism or global warming.

An assortment of different boots for different tasks separate wearers who trudge on soft trails, mow their lawns or adventure between their bed, couch, toilet and pickup truck from those that are able to travel in the mountains, safely and comfortably (for more than a few hours).

True. The guys with an assortment of different boots do pretty much just trudge on soft trails for a few hours and so on.

The folks actually DOING big backpacking miles in mountains, and everything else, in 2023, are wearing tennisboothings. Like me. Why? Because it’s the better choice. And, to your chagrin, I just spent this spring proving it, while you were busy transiting between couch and toilet and pickup truck. wink

At least you didn’t turn an ankle.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR

I usually get ~ 700 miles out of my trail runners, about 3 pairs/year- that's on varied single track trails with usually some 20-30 mile trips to bag various peaks. The tread still looks fairly decent, but the midsole components eventually start to breakdown. When you really notice it is when you switch to a new pair and you're like ahhhhh laugh

Trail runners aren't the answer for every trip, but they are the answer for a lot of trips.

A recent 32 mile day through heavy rain, light wet snow, rock, mud, snow, a [bleep] ton of fords and wrestling with a lot of blowdown. This would not be the trip you'd want heavy leather boots, they'd be soaked within minutes, would then weigh even more and not be dry for days.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

If you haven't tried them, pretty tough to speculate how they are going to work for you. You just might be in for a surprise

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good boots - are.

No offense.

GR

GR

I just backpacked through and over ALL THESE THINGS, and more. Maybe you missed that? 600 miles, averaging 15 miles/day, with one rest day the entire trip. Our packs were, generally, not light either because of all the water you gotta carry down there.

You know who didn’t last a week, much less a month out there in the real world crucible that is the southern CDT? Guys wearing “boots”. I saw this with my own two eyes.

Do this simple math for me, please. Both you and SherrifJoe.
I just got 600+ miles out of a pair of Salomon X-Ultra 4’s. I have proof of this. How long is YOUR average backpacking trip? 25 miles, total? How many times a year do you do this, on average? Let’s say (4), but I doubt that, both you and SJ. But let’s be generous here. That’s 100 miles a year. So that means a) it’ll take you 6 years to do what I just did in 6 weeks, and b) it’d take you 6 years to mostly wear out a pair of these supposedly fragile tennisboothings.

No offense, truly, but you know not of which you speak. That goes double for SJ. At least you are polite about it- which I respect and appreciate FWIW.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good boots - are.

No offense.

GR

GR

So, while I've used and use both boots and low hikers you've only used boots. In other words, you're guessing. I'm not.

Aside, this is the BACKPACK hunting forum, not the hunters campfire where all the closed minded old duffers participate in a never ending circle jerk. You may want to hang out there. I think it would be a better fit.

Kiss your mom with that mouth, ya self-involved prick?

And, yes, backpack hunting is one of my regular field events.

Just haven't bothered to make a religion out of it.

And routinely get well over a 1,000 miles out of my boots.

Sno-sealing the leather, once it's broken in, is the trick.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Garand- consider trying a pair of tennishoeboots for your conditioning hikes. Just consider it. Why not? It was the single best change I made to my “gear” when I started getting back into this stuff. I promise you, this is, in fact, what the vast, vast majority of the “power users” who are actually out banking big miles, are wearing. And it’s not for vanity, or to be part of the herd. It’s because it’s the better mousetrap. Just…. try it. I was resistant. I bet Brad and Mike were too. We all used to wear “boots” and justified it the same way you are. Then we tried this newfangled stuff and went…. huh!

One aspect of it I love is just the joyful feeling of having full freedom for my legs to do what evolution, or if you prefer God, intended them to do. It made me feel way younger. Lighter. More free. More of a capable, all-terrain vehicle. And we can delve into the biomechanics of it as much as you want, but here’s a simple truth: if your ankles aren’t doing what they are meant to do, then something else in your leg is taking up those loads, and that something else wasn’t designed for it. Your ankles are there for a reason. Set them free!

Brad & Mike… Cyn is going to get back on the trail and attempt a calendar-year CDT; I’m going to hold down the fort here (ugh). Anyway she just got the shoes she’s going to try for the next leg- Topos (spelling?). I’ll let you know how they work out. They look just like Altra’s and are zero-drop. At least these companies are backing away from the “clown shoe” look a little bit, cosmetically.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garand- consider trying a pair of tennishoeboots for your conditioning hikes. Just consider it. Why not? It was the single best change I made to my “gear” when I started getting back into this stuff. I promise you, this is, in fact, what the vast, vast majority of the “power users” who are actually out banking big miles, are wearing. And it’s not for vanity, or to be part of the herd. It’s because it’s the better mousetrap. Just…. try it. I was resistant. I bet Brad and Mike were too. We all used to wear “boots” and justified it the same way you are. Then we tried this newfangled stuff and went…. huh!

One aspect of it I love is just the joyful feeling of having full freedom for my legs to do what evolution, or if you prefer God, intended them to do. It made me feel way younger. Lighter. More free. More of a capable, all-terrain vehicle. And we can delve into the biomechanics of it as much as you want, but here’s a simple truth: if your ankles aren’t doing what they are meant to do, then something else in your leg is taking up those loads, and that something else wasn’t designed for it. Your ankles are there for a reason. Set them free!

Brad & Mike… Cyn is going to get back on the trail and attempt a calendar-year CDT; I’m going to hold down the fort here (ugh). Anyway she just got the shoes she’s going to try for the next leg- Topos (spelling?). I’ll let you know how they work out. They look just like Altra’s and are zero-drop. At least these companies are backing away from the “clown shoe” look a little bit, cosmetically.

Those tennisbootsthings are like specialty, competition footwear, like track or wrestling shoes, or ballerina slippers.

My boots take a lot of abuse in the field.

Try a pair of these polyurethane soled field boots, if they are still available.

Then hike five miles a day in them, over varied terrain, running a couple of those miles.

That will get you in shape.

To me, "ultra-light" is a marketing cult.

Wouldn't choose logger's boots, but a light weight field boot works fine.

Ankles don't grow back, so protecting them is important, especially miles from nowhere.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One more time. I just hiked not five, but FIFTEEN miles a day, every day, for 6.5 weeks, over a variety of terrain, with a full backpack (not a daypack). And I’m a big human bean, started the trip over 200 lbs.

They are specialty footwear; their specialty is…. uh…. hiking?

Truth is, in most cases these days… “boots” are for posers. They have a time and place but generally speaking, “hiking” ain’t it, and real hikers aren’t using them.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Garandimal showed his wealth of knowledge with “unscoped is the only way to be marksman” thread awhile back…

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

he most be from NY state…

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garandimal showed his wealth of knowledge with “unscoped is the only way to be marksman” thread awhile back…

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

he most be from NY state…

Says the beer-belly at the concrete bench, with sand bags and a bi-pod.

Marksmanship is a skill.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more time. I just hiked not five, but FIFTEEN miles a day, every day, for 6.5 weeks, over a variety of terrain, with a full backpack (not a daypack). And I’m a big human bean, started the trip over 200 lbs.

They are specialty footwear; their specialty is…. uh…. hiking?

Truth is, in most cases these days… “boots” are for posers. They have a time and place but generally speaking, “hiking” ain’t it, and real hikers aren’t using them.

Not interested in your religion.

Good boots - are.

Light weight field boots are even better.

If you need specialty footwear just to hike?

What does that say about you?

Think you are the only one who hikes 15 mi./day?

5 mi./day, including a run, is just an off-season routine.

Hate to break this to ya... but field boots have been doin' hikes and hunts for a long time.

So buy what you want.

Just understand that it is you that makes them special.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Your religion is being an idiot

Whether boots, shooting, etc....your way is not only antiquated it's azz backwards

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 06/03/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Whether boots, shooting, etc....your way is not only antiquated it's azz backwards

Gone and hurt your li'l feelings.

Poor... Thing.

Field boots... are.

And, Marksmanship is a Skill.

You may find that out some day, little one.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Poor... Thing.

Field boots... are.

GR

Ah yes field boots and leather slings lol. Your idea of marksmanship is hitting the broadside of a barn at 100yds......

I bet you're hell on wheels at the local army surplus rathole...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 06/04/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like shooting Garands…. and M1a’s… and Mini14’s…. and AR15’s…. with the aperture sights. Not dogpiling here.

Here we are a few years ago… this is at over 14k feet, on Whitney, towards the top. Anyone who’s climbed it will recognize the features. I was wearing Salomon X-Ultras, not sure what Cyn has on there, probably Altras. We’d done about 220 miles and 10+ passes in the Sierra to get there, most recently Forester Pass at 13k+ feet the day before. The vast majority of the footfalls on that whole trail (the JMT) are on granite.

I was wearing exactly the right shoe IMHO. As you can see, every step was an adventure; I wanted full use of my legs! Get those ankles flexing, taking up all the various foot-strike angles. In some spots along the JMT/PCT we ran into weekenders coming up trailheads to backpack to a lake or whatever, invariably in “boots” and suffering. The through-hikers all had low top light hikers on- aka exactly the right shoe. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/03/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey fatso...girlieman...

The ONLY trails you've been up are soft, gentle trails for your feminine capacities. You act like Whitney is K2 or something, typical of urban braggarts.

You couldn't get up the approach to any peaks of the Picket Range so, get back to your pizza and shut your trap.

Or try...at your weight, fill out your toe tag so that we can ID your bag of feathers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting discussion despite the unnecessary sniping. It confirms that boots are a personal choice and what works for you may not work for others. Like many realize, you can put up with a lot of subpar equipment on a hunt, but "bad" boots could end a hunt. While I'd like to wear a low cut trail shoe, I wear Meindl Light Hikers for some training and Meindl Extremes for real world ankle support. Buy what fits, consider your terrain and train hard.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.....fill out your toe tag.....

Or just "take-a-knee."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Interesting discussion despite the unnecessary sniping. It confirms that boots are a personal choice and what works for you may not work for others. Like many realize, you can put up with a lot of subpar equipment on a hunt, but "bad" boots could end a hunt.

Or just require you to take a day or two off or cut down your mileage. Not so with through-hikers, bad shoes will end a through hike, period.

I don't get the sniping either. This ain't a contest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I used trail runners for the first time on a summer backpack scouting trip last year. It was awesome. For the actual hunt, I wore what I used to think of as my lightweight hikers. Those are Lowa Renegades. I think that I could have just used the trail runners for the hunt though.

I used to wear Kennetrek mountain boots for archery and rifle season. Then started using the Renegades for archery. Now I don't even own a heavy mountain boot. I've been using the Renegades in the snow.

Less boot is working for me, but I think it's taken some time for my feet to adapt. I think wearing Croc-type flips did something weird to one of my feet. Since I ditched those cushy sandal things my foot seems a lot better.

Not too off topic, but I just bought another trail runner for myself. I liked the first pair so much that I wanted another. And got trail runners for my two kids instead of boots. We went with Topo, Altra, and Hoka. A lot of money for what amounts to sneakers! But total cost was less than a decent pair of hunting boots.

My only complaint with my first trail runner was that it allowed fine dust through the mesh. Our new shoes should be much better at that. I did get some debris through the top but didn't have gaiters on. I may look into the lightweight gaiters.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/04/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

GR

I usually get ~ 700 miles out of my trail runners, about 3 pairs/year- that's on varied single track trails with usually some 20-30 mile trips to bag various peaks. The tread still looks fairly decent, but the midsole components eventually start to breakdown. When you really notice it is when you switch to a new pair and you're like ahhhhh laugh

Trail runners aren't the answer for every trip, but they are the answer for a lot of trips.

A recent 32 mile day through heavy rain, light wet snow, rock, mud, snow, a [bleep] ton of fords and wrestling with a lot of blowdown. This would not be the trip you'd want heavy leather boots, they'd be soaked within minutes, would then weigh even more and not be dry for days.

If you haven't tried them, pretty tough to speculate how they are going to work for you. You just might be in for a surprise

Are you making any footwear or sock changes for these crossings or just wear the same shoes and socks for everything for the day?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Interesting discussion despite the unnecessary sniping. It confirms that boots are a personal choice and what works for you may not work for others. Like many realize, you can put up with a lot of subpar equipment on a hunt, but "bad" boots could end a hunt.

Or just require you to take a day or two off or cut down your mileage. Not so with through-hikers, bad shoes will end a through hike, period.

I don't get the sniping either. This ain't a contest.

smokepole;
Good Sunday morning to you my cyber friend, I hope the upcoming week looks to be lined out and headed out properly for you.

It has been an interesting discussion for sure, for me at least and I'll extend thanks to all who've added their personal take on the subject.

Way and I do mean WAY back in the mid '80's my wife and I along with some friends did some backpacking runs up onto the Kokanee Glacier which is straight north of the Washington and Idaho border in the Kootenay range as well as up to the Cathedrals which is about half way between the Chopaka and Skagit. The Kootenays were tougher or better said steeper, with the Cathedral run still more rounded in most spots than it is over towards the Skagit country - which is northish of the Picket Range mentioned here.

Anyways we had on whatever heavy boots we used to buy back then and looking back we might have been much better served with lighter footwear as we were on trails for the most part other than the wet areas.

Whenever I've tried on lighter weight footwear such as Jeff was showing, it's felt like they'd be fine under some conditions alright, but so far I've resisted.

Now I am cognizant that Brad packs out elk and having not done that but have packed/dragged a moose out solo, I do have at least a distant understanding of what the feet might be facing.

When we were younger, full of vim, vinegar and a tad crazy, we backpacked mulie bucks from some truly ugly places. On a couple of those runs I found the necessity of having boots that laced way down on the toes for me, as I beat up said toes pretty thoroughly before we reached the pickup.

Last fall when my good friend pulled the LEH ram tag - think the odds were 350:1 for me this year, but yes I did put in since I think I can still do it if drawn - we beat the mountain behind the house flat, putting in more rough country time than either of us had in the previous 20 years. I must admit that I did feel extremely blessed to be able to be in the same spots on the day I turned 60 that I'd travelled decades previously.

He ended up killing a ram 31 years and 2 days after I'd taken one off the same mountain, as close as I could figure within less than a kilometer from where mine came out in two trips on my back. His died further down into the canyons and not up on edge of the big timber, so it was silly steep with a lot of loose dry areas which made footing less than great.

We'd split up when we'd gone in so his young nephew and I might see the rams from the opposite side of the canyon and direct them from the other side. When he shot, we of course had to gumboot back up to the head of the canyon where we'd split up and then go down to find him. As we're heading down, his nephew - think he's in his late 20's, said to me something like, "For the love of God Dwayne, you've got to find a better way out of here than this!". laugh

As it turned out smokepole, we came down the best/easiest way. cry

Anyways in that sort of a mess I was happy to have boots which I could really tighten up extra well before we headed back up and out.

It's those sort of scenarios - that and the shin tangle blowdown jungle where the whitetail, moose and elk seem to love to hang out - that always affect my decision making when it comes to footwear.

Thanks again for the discussion to one and all. All the best in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Are you making any footwear or sock changes for these crossings or just wear the same shoes and socks for everything for the day?

No changes- just charging through, the number of fords crossing the Bob in May is staggering and the trails are very often running water in them as well. No possible way to keep footwear dry.

I do insure that at a midday break (and usually supper along the trail) I take my wet shoes/socks off and let them air for the 30 minutes or so we're stopping. Also at night I make sure my feet are bone dry, apply a foot balm (Hydropel) and put on dry socks for sleep.

The majority of the trails look similar to this

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Poor... Thing.

Field boots... are.

GR

Ah yes field boots and leather slings lol. Your idea of marksmanship is hitting the broadside of a barn at 100yds......

I bet you're hell on wheels at the local army surplus rathole...

Your butt-hurt is monumental, little one.

And cotton slings are a better choice.

Lighter weight, faster drying, and infinitely adjustable.

If you ever grow up and become interested in Marksmanship, you may find that useful.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 0.0 complaints RE: light weight field boots.

Hike and hunt hundreds of miles a year in them.

Mountains to swamps.

The OP is: Lightweight vs heavy boots?

A more accurate title would be: "Tennisbootsthings Cult and Grooming"

So ya know.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No changes- just charging through, the number of fords crossing the Bob in May is staggering and the trails are very often running water in them as well. No possible way to keep footwear dry.

I do insure that at a midday break (and usually supper along the trail) I take my wet shoes/socks off and let them air for the 30 minutes or so we're stopping. Also at night I make sure my feet are bone dry, apply a foot balm (Hydropel) and put on dry socks for sleep.

That was the Gila in a nutshell, then once we got further north, into the snow, that was the 3 days crossing San Pedro Parks Wilderness.

The Gila was over 180 crossings in about 4 days. The deepest fast crossing was bellybutton deep (on me) and frankly scared the F outta me- there was a rapids with a strainer just below. After I got across Cyn said, yeah that’s not gonna work for me! so we figured out a way for her to do some minor cliff scrambling to get to a better spot (which obviously I could’ve done too).

San Pedro was so wet I don’t think I can describe it in a way folks other than MT will believe or understand. A massive spring snowmelt is bonkers to be in the middle of. There would be running water… UNDER the snow that you’d posthole into. Every wrinkle was a creek, every depression a swamp, every meadow an adventure of icy water and freezing muck, every creek a small river, and if there’s been any actual rivers they would’ve likely stopped us. Plus we crossed during a storm cycle and got hailed, rained, sleeted,, and snowed on all with fierce winds and lightning.

As pertains to this thread in both cases anything leather (or goretex) would be a disaster.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not too off topic, but I just bought another trail runner for myself. I liked the first pair so much that I wanted another. And got trail runners for my two kids instead of boots. We went with Topo, Altra, and Hoka. A lot of money for what amounts to sneakers! But total cost was less than a decent pair of hunting boots.

My only complaint with my first trail runner was that it allowed fine dust through the mesh. Our new shoes should be much better at that. I did get some debris through the top but didn't have gaiters on. I may look into the lightweight gaiters.

It’s great that you tried them. Your experience is pretty much universal IME. If you try they, you will switch.

My Salomons let lots of fine NM grit through the top mesh. While Cyn’s Altra’s were better in that regard, her socks and feet were still pretty much equally filthy by the end of each day.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey fatso...girlieman...

The ONLY trails you've been up are soft, gentle trails for your feminine capacities. You act like Whitney is K2 or something, typical of urban braggarts.

You couldn't get up the approach to any peaks of the Picket Range so, get back to your pizza and shut your trap.

Or try...at your weight, fill out your toe tag so that we can ID your bag of feathers.

Lol… you don’t like losing, do you? And yet you do so much of it.

But you got me with “fatso”. I’m packing at least 3-4 lbs of extra me around.

Let’s see a pic of YOU! Or would that get into more, y’know, losing?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple pics of me as a young buck. If you still want to tell me about approaches I can’t do, I’m all ears.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Garandanimal is gay and all but didn't you get powned by a ladder?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raferman

Your boyfriend told you to say that.

Good for you.

Hike in ballerina slippers if you want to.

Good boots... are.

Light weight boots are even better.

GR

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Light weight field boots.

That's why they were recommended.

Sure your ballerina slippers suit you just fine.

Enjoy them.

GR

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Haha.

Connect the dots…

Markmanship…. HC’s story of shooting the 10 shots in a bullseye, open sight, as a kid.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Dave

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

That was the Gila in a nutshell, then once we got further north, into the snow, that was the 3 days crossing San Pedro Parks Wilderness.

The Gila was over 180 crossings in about 4 days. The deepest fast crossing was bellybutton deep (on me) and frankly scared the F outta me- there was a rapids with a strainer just below. After I got across Cyn said, yeah that’s not gonna work for me! so we figured out a way for her to do some minor cliff scrambling to get to a better spot (which obviously I could’ve done too).

San Pedro was so wet I don’t think I can describe it in a way folks other than MT will believe or understand. A massive spring snowmelt is bonkers to be in the middle of. There would be running water… UNDER the snow that you’d posthole into. Every wrinkle was a creek, every depression a swamp, every meadow an adventure of icy water and freezing muck, every creek a small river, and if there’s been any actual rivers they would’ve likely stopped us. Plus we crossed during a storm cycle and got hailed, rained, sleeted,, and snowed on all with fierce winds and lightning.

As pertains to this thread in both cases anything leather (or goretex) would be a disaster.

What type of socks are you guys using? I use merino wool but maybe a synthetic material would be better for drying out.

When I’m sheep hunting I will wear my trail shoes for crossing creeks with no socks and then change back into boots. But if I have a lot of crossings to do I will just leave the trail shoes on.
My starting pack weight for a sheep hunt is 65-70 lbs and I’m comfortable using my shoes on a decent trail, but I think I’d be uncomfortable in rough terrain carrying a heavy pack, but I’m definitely open to trying them more in different situations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What they call that...Kodacolor, Kodachrome?

Show us the pictures of you squatting...peeing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What type of socks are you guys using? I use merino wool but maybe a synthetic material would be better for drying out.

When I’m sheep hunting I will wear my trail shoes for crossing creeks with no socks and then change back into boots. But if I have a lot of crossings to do I will just leave the trail shoes on.
My starting pack weight for a sheep hunt is 65-70 lbs and I’m comfortable using my shoes on a decent trail, but I think I’d be uncomfortable in rough terrain carrying a heavy pack, but I’m definitely open to trying them more in different situations.

My sock game was not great and could use improvement. Started with Wright 2-layer socks to hopefully mitigate blisters, and thin REI socks. I was still using the Wright socks in the Gila canyon and beyond (so at about 350 miles) but they were pretty used up by then. They are a consumable…. The REI brand light socks, don’t remember the exact description, are good socks, but I’m sure there’s better. And then I had a pair of slightly heavier REI socks I was using for sleep socks, until I had to press them into regular duty as other things wore out. Had 3 fresh pairs in the Grants resupply box, which was nice. If I was doing the trip over I’d have had more fresh socks in my various resupply boxes, don’t know why I was being miserly as they are mission critical. One thing about NM- no water. So no washing socks in the creek, because there’s no creek. At some times our socks were flat filthy, for days on end. There was nothing to be done about it.

As to wet feet my takeaway was that I had no idea that it was possible to do big miles day after day after in wet shoes…. but you can. I would’ve thought it would make “bad things” happen to my feet, but it didn’t. You get used to squelching along.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What they call that...Kodacolor, Kodachrome?

Show us the pictures of you squatting...peeing.

Is it just me, or has the quality of troll really gone to [bleep] around here?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@mod7rem Darn Tough socks, probably 15 years now of using them exclusively- shorter ones for trail runners, longer ones with boots.

I'll be doing the same thing on my upcoming sheep hunt, light trail runners for fording streams/camp shoes, boots for everything else. With a 60# pack and lots of steep rocky stuff, boots are the only way to go- add in lots of sidehilling and then it becomes a no brainer. I'm in trail runners ~ 9 months out of the year, but the three months that coincide with big game hunting, it's boots smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mtwarden;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that this Monday finds you and yours well.

With apologies to the OP - but I suppose still within if not the direct realm of discussion the periphery - what kind of sheep and more or less where?

No secret spots are requested obviously sir. wink

As a former and still hopeful sheep chaser and sheep observer/counter in the meantime, I do love to hear about sheep.

Thanks in advance for considering the request.

Dwayne

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I dunno Dwayne. It seems to me that if mtwarden wants to go sheep hunting, he needs to get off the couch and do some training hikes in the mtns, don't you think??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
mtwarden;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that this Monday finds you and yours well.

With apologies to the OP - but I suppose still within if not the direct realm of discussion the periphery - what kind of sheep and more or less where?

As a former and still hopeful sheep chaser and sheep observer/counter in the meantime, I do love to hear about sheep.

Dwayne

Dwane- good morning. After 30+ years of unsuccessfully applying for a Bighorn license here, I told my wife just once in my lifetime I'd like to hunt sheep. Well God bless her, she said just do it- so I booked a Dall hunt in the Brooks range (2.5 years ago) smile

I dunno Dwayne. It seems to me that if mtwarden wants to go sheep hunting, he needs to get off the couch and do some training hikes in the mtns, don't you think??

yeah I guess you're right, I better get to going grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Awesome!! Good luck, Mt, one thing your guide won't have to worry about is your ability to keep up!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you worry or otherwise deal with over-training, MT? I have a knee that the older I get, simultaneously responds well to “the trail” but also seems a bit degraded after every adventure.

Not sure what tags I’ll get this year, find out soon. About the only way I’m in “boots” if if it snows up where we hunt elk. The good tag I have the best shot at is the backpack mule deer hunt I’ve done several times now on that big remote high-desert mountain range which shall go unnamed… very, very rugged, very steep, no trail. Perfect for my X-Ultra's. smile

My buddy’s wife got him a pair of them (he’s one of these millionaires who’s too cheap to buy himself nice stuff) except they were the high-top version. I’d be curious to try them; at least I know the lower part of the shoe fits my foot. I have a pair of their more substantial “boots” and while they nominally fit great, they put my foot in a position that leads to Achilles pain as the days go on. Like my shin is cocked forward slightly and that’s the direction they don’t flex much.

My youngest has emerged from her college ultra-liberal daze and said she wants to kill a deer with me, so there’s that, too. Blacktail are my bread and butter and I know how to kill ‘em. So I might end up playing guide with her much of the season; however I have a feeling she’s being unrealistic about having much time off from her FS job at that time. She’s in a supervisory role this year, which is cool for her, but maybe not as easy to escape from in the fall. We shall see. Much depends on the tag lottery, and it’s coming soon. In the meantime I’m seeing calm ocean later this week and they just upped the limit on halibut to (2)…….

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mtwarden;

Dwayne

Dwane- good morning. After 30+ years of unsuccessfully applying for a Bighorn license here, I told my wife just once in my lifetime I'd like to hunt sheep. Well God bless her, she said just do it- so I booked a Dall hunt in the Brooks range (2.5 years ago) smile

yeah I guess you're right, I better get to going grin

mtwarden;
Thanks for the reply sir.

That is simply wonderful!

I've never been to the Brooks but have been up in the Yukon as far as Dawson City.

My goodness you'll be way, WAY up there. Super cool. cool

I hope you have a grand hunt in all ways.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you worry or otherwise deal with over-training, MT? I have a knee that the older I get, simultaneously responds well to “the trail” but also seems a bit degraded after every adventure.

Not really; 90% of my training is Zone 2 stuff, fairly easy hiking. I do get a little Zone 3-4 stuff every week, any steep climbs or a sometimes a dedicated hill day. Probably every month or so I get one hard trip in- those can raise injury demons, but knock on wood- nothing too serious.

With the Brooks trip coming up shortly I'm going to be pretty picky on any trips from now until August- keep the risk of injury low smile

mtwarden;
Thanks for the reply sir.

That is simply wonderful!

I've never been to the Brooks but have been up in the Yukon as far as Dawson City.

My goodness you'll be way, WAY up there. Super cool. cool

I hope you have a grand hunt in all ways.

Dwayne

Awesome!! Good luck, Mt, one thing your guide won't have to worry about is your ability to keep up!!!

Thank you Sirs!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Speaking of the brooks trip, are you going to document it here? AAR?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of the brooks trip, are you going to document it here? AAR?

Yeah I can certainly do that smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

This is your OP, little one.

Here is your answer, if you ever grow up.

Light Weight Field Boots.

They won't help you with Marksmanship, though.

You will need to acquire that skill.

GR

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

GR

Straight outta the box!

- Greg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

GR

You must be closely related to MIKE WERNER?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

GR

You must be a starving comedian.

What's funny is, how terrified all y'all are of light weight field boots.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

GR

Nobody is terrified. They just know they are dog schiet.

Why in the world, other than someone too poor or dumb to know better, would they wear dog schiet boots? Keep the G.I. special (ie lowest bidder), pass the La sportiva, asolo, lowa, hell even Salomon...

News flash, guys that can wear what they want in the service don't wear garbage bates boots..

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 06/06/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GR

Nobody is terrified. They just know they are dog schiet.

Why in the world, other than someone too poor or dumb to know better, would they wear dog schiet boots? Keep the G.I. special (ie lowest bidder), pass the La sportiva, asolo, lowa, hell even Salomon...

News flash, guys that can wear what they want in the service don't wear garbage bates boots..

Boot snob.

Disciple of the Cult of the Tennisbootsthings.

Ha!

These light weight field boots are comfortable and durable.

And you hate that.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Actually I usually wear something more in the line of mountaineering boots, which are way more lightweight and durable than your g.i. special.

Grand Retard is wrong yet again......(it's a trend)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually I usually wear something more in the line of mountaineering boots, which are way more lightweight and durable than your g.i. special.

Grand Retard is wrong yet again......(it's a trend)

Awww... your feeling are hurt.

Have the high priest of the Cult of Tennisbootsthings console your sadness and disillusionment.

Hiking and hunting in light weight field boots is so... secular.

Ha!

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I think I hurt your feelers by insinuating you are a brokedick shopping at the army surplus......😭😭😭 "boot snob!" 😭😭😭

Hey man, if that's all your social security budget allows, that's cool, just don't hate on those than can afford decent boots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think I hurt your feelers by insinuating you are a brokedick shopping at the army surplus......😭😭😭 "boot snob!" 😭😭😭

Hey man, if that's all your social security budget allows, that's cool, just don't hate on those than can afford decent boots.

It's a really good boot, at $35 it was a great boot.

What else does a boot have to do, little one?

And if your footwear defines you, and your li'l feelings get hurt by what other people wear hiking and hunting?

You should probably be wearing high heels.

Because you're a pussy.

So ya know.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not much from the recliner I suppose.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Up on your high heels again?

Ha!

Good night, princess.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Ha!

Good night, princess.

GR

Don't take your metamucil before bed time, you might schiet the bed gramps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At least he’ll be doing it in his Light Weight Field Boots.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ha!

Good night, princess.

GR

Kids say the darnedest things.

Dream you'll grow up to be a man.

Might could happen.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Ha!

Good night, princess.

GR

Might could happen.

GR

If that means shopping at goodwill for hunting gear, no thanks. I will leave that schiet for the people that need it.

But back to boots, I've been impressed with the la sportiva aequilibrium's so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least he’s be doing it in his Light Weight Field Boots.

They're for hiking and hunting.

Doesn't your Cult of the Tennisbootsthings Bible explain that heresy?

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ha!

Good night, princess.

GR

Might could happen.

GR

If that means shopping at goodwill for hunting gear, no thanks. I will leave that schiet for the people that need it.

But back to boots, I've been impressed with the la sportiva aequilibrium's so far.

MidwayUSA, on clearance.

Got three pair.

When your mom no longer buys your clothes for you, you might understand.

The soles are polyurethane, about half the weight of Vibram.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Do you wear a bicycle helmet with your "lightweight field boots" to really accentuate the "I'm a retard" look while you shop at dollar general?

What do you hunt while wearing those and where (state) do you hunt?

Let me guess, rabbits in Georgia...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you wear a bicycle helmet with your "lightweight field boots" to really accentuate the "I'm a retard" look while you shop at dollar general?

What do you hunt while wearing those and where (state) do you hunt?

Let me guess, rabbits in Georgia...

Aren't you the retards that hike around with ski poles?

Couldn't figure out how to walk, or do you still need training wheels?

You should have a Cult meeting with the rest of the kids in your clubhouse, to console each other about the horrors of light weight field boots.

Ha!

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a question for all y'all "experts" in high-tech field footwear.

This is just one of the places hunted.

How are your mesh ultra-lite Tennisbootsthings goin' to hold up?

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don’t see anything there that would hurt them? Looks like wet feet no matter what if I’m understanding the pic. Where is that?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

GR

LOL, all I wear any more are lightweight boots. But WTF are "field boots" anyway?

As opposed to house boots?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Troll boots

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JellO's latest book and video: 600 Miles REST STOP Waddling

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Troll boots

So, if they aren't "Special" Cult of the Tennisbootsthings ordained...

... your feelings get hurt?

Precious.

Light weight field boots - terrorize you.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What’s it for you ?

25oz a boot?

20oz?

GR

LOL, all I wear any more are lightweight boots. But WTF are "field boots" anyway?

You wear boots in the house?

Grow up and get a house that doesn't have dirt floors.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JellO's latest book and video: 600 Miles REST STOP Waddling

Mmmm. Shoulda used Light Weight Field Boots. Dang it all.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny…. I’m actually wearing tall, full-grain leather boots this very second. Horses for courses.

You and Garand would know that……… if you ever did any actual courses. 😂

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You wear boots in the house?

No, I don't. Hence the comment, no need to designate boots as "field."

Should I draw a picture for you?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Soooo rabbits in Louisiana.....

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 30 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.