Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Cant get primers shipped up here. Can you bring g them in luggage? I looked at Ak. Airlines list of explosives. Didn't see them there. Alaska let's you travel with a pretty large amount of ammo.
What say you?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, but I’d dump them into a couple of socks for the trip. Won’t be as suspicious that way.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mail them to yourself.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Primers and powder are “funny”. All type of restrictions for shipping either.
However, if you put the primer in a case, add powder, and cap it all off with a bullet you can carry them in your luggage or have UPS ship them for you for a nominal fee.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Mail them to yourself.
Primers are not legal through USPS although I have had primed brass shipped to me.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by akpls
Mail them to yourself.
Primers are not legal through USPS although I have had primed brass shipped to me.

yes........

someone explain that ??

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There is no UPS "ground" shipping to Alaska. Only first or 2nd day air. Ammo is hazmat when shipped on aircraft. We can't order ammo, powder, or primers like you lower 48ers can.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by martentrapper
We can't order ammo, powder, or primers like you lower 48ers can.

Disagree. When I lived in Alaska CMP would ship me cases of .22 ammo to my doorstep in Eagle River. And I would also order powder and primers from Powder Valley and it would be shipped up via freight. I don’t remember the name of the freight company but it was in Anchorage. Would drive there and pick up the order myself. It’s all possible, just takes planning and have to order enough to make it financially feasible.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, you cannot take powder or primers on the plane, but primed brass is probably fine. I know a guy that went to visit family in GA in 21 and found powder and primers and put it in his luggage. Yeah, it was no,no and TSA took them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Disagree. When I lived in Alaska CMP would ship me cases of .22 ammo to my doorstep in Eagle River. And I would also order powder and primers from Powder Valley and it would be shipped up via freight. I don’t remember the name of the freight company but it was in Anchorage. Would drive there and pick up the order myself. It’s all possible, just takes planning and have to order enough to make it financially feasible.

How long ago did you live in AK? I do know guys we’re having stuff brought in by Carlile Trucking, but I think they put a stop to that as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hudge, you could order it and have it delivered to Samson or AML in seattle and have it barged up. I've done that a few times but it really doesn't work financially unless you have a bunch of people putting in bulk orders.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

How long ago did you live in AK? I do know guys we’re having stuff brought in by Carlile Trucking, but I think they put a stop to that as well.

I left in 2012.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good way to end up on a no fly list

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It's been a few years in a previous life that I knew a little something about shipping Dangerous Goods. Post 911, everything I shipped was only through Fedex. In order to ship Fedex you had to take the two-day Dangerous Goods class and get certified. Everything has to be shipped in its original manufacture's box and all applicable hazmat labels and codes has to be printed on the box and shipping label with your certified shipping ID number. Full cases only. No broken cases or partial boxes.
A fella might get away with trying to ship something themselves without being certified but I wouldn't try. If something goes wrong like a fire on the plane, they'll come after the uncertified shipper first.

Snowwolfe, I think I bought a little handheld radio and 15 gal fuel containers from you when you left. 2012? Wow, time sure does fly by.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yea, time sure has flown by. Wife and I both miss Alaska, but not enough to spend winters there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Hudge, you could order it and have it delivered to Samson or AML in seattle and have it barged up. I've done that a few times but it really doesn't work financially unless you have a bunch of people putting in bulk orders.

You are correct, but is it with it? I know back in 2020 and 2021, some guys were having stuff brought in by Carlile and then one had their stuff pretty much confiscated by Carlile as they claimed the buyer did not tell them what was being shipped. I have flown ammo back and bullets in luggage, but that’s it. Not going to even attempt primed brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't heard of that happening but it wouldn't surprise me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Mail them to yourself.

yes........

someone explain that ??

Cant. It defies logic.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Mail them to yourself.

yes........

someone explain that ??

Not legally. Powder, primers, loaded ammo...none of it is legal in the US Mail.

You may also lose your primed-only brass if you try to bring it in your luggage. Hand carried primers? No way!

I do know you can bring hundreds of sized, decapped or not, cases in checked luggage and return with those same cases primed and filled with powder as long as a bullet is seated and they are in proper ammo boxes.

But yeah, you can get by with whatever you can get by with in carryon.

Large scissors? Right thru TSA

Knitting needles? Fantastic!

Box cutter? All good after they take the blade. (Full set of Xacto knives, A-ok! )

Goldfish bagged in water? Nope, not flying.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.