Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I am sure this is nothing new as far as information goes, but I am finding it strange as to why there is no mention of Spittler.
I created that document in 2018 with the best available information. Most of which I researched.
If/when we ever figure out with certainty what King's "engraving" period was, we can update it. Meanwhile, King is known and recorded as a stock carver ~1900-1910 which has been verified.
The total extend of Spittler knowledge is within this thread. It's all brand new and mostly unverified. Whad 'ya expect? laugh

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I am sure this is nothing new as far as information goes, but I am finding it strange as to why there is no mention of Spittler.
I created that document in 2018 with the best available information. Most of which I researched.
If/when we ever figure out with certainty what King's "engraving" period was, we can update it. Meanwhile, King is known and recorded as a stock carver ~1900-1910 which has been verified.
The total extend of Spittler knowledge is within this thread. It's all brand new and mostly unverified. Whad 'ya expect? laugh

I knew that and I saved to for future reference. You diggers best keep diggin' laugh laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
David mentioned a couple things on my rifle that stood out to him that didnt seem right. So i have been looking through the new engraved book and found the same odd things on other guns in the book. Dave Trauth’s 1899A takedown has the same flattened triangles in the same exact spots as mine. Pics 1-90 and 1-91.
Dick Johnson’s rifle has the same exact heart shaped things in the same spot as mine. Pic 4-35 and 4-36.
And on Brent Geistweidt’s 1899A, his animals look almost identical imo to mine. Pic 2-78 and 2-79.
Do we know who engraved these 3 rifles with the same features as mine?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are great observations. It makes me wonder if Spittler engraved some other rifles, or if Enoch Tue did these variations (unlikely, the Spittler and King rifles don't look like his work) or if more than one person worked on some of the rifles. This is likely. Maybe Spittler was learning engraving from Tue or some rush orders came in and one guy did some aspects of the engraving while the other did other things. Who Knows?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Also bear in mind that photos of rifle finish and engraving are very difficult to judge conclusively. In hand is always better. Even then may not be conclusive.

Previously I have been in contact with Roger Bleile who is probably the foremost knowledgeable engraver of our time and historian with FEGA (Firearms Engraving Guild of America).
He has studied engraving from Nimschke to present and has commented to me that unless a maker mark is present, it is difficult to tell for certain who a particular engraver was.

Keep an open mind while studying and comparing. Might be surprised where it ends up if/when other info comes available.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,272
Posts18,448,347
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.