Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
So there's a bear in that fence? Or has he found a way through/over/under it?

-Jake

They can climb right up one side and down the other. Basically like a step ladder for them.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1899guy
In the late 1990's my family fenced in 600 acres of Pennsylvania forest. For awhile it was used to take my father through his retirement, but he has since passed. This property is amazing and while you may not like the idea of fenced hunting, this place has been a joy to be part of. The elk on it have been born without contact with man for many, many generations and are extremely elusive. This is not like the places that stock elk that were raised in a pen and then hunt them. The fact is,
while they may not be able to migrate to the next county, if you kick one up and don't get it, you will likely not see it again in the cover of the thick forests. The property has a 5 mile long perimeter fence 10' tall, only. No smaller fenced areas. I know of no other place on the eastern half of the USA where someone can hunt elk that are not tame, or require a lottery to get the chance at one.
Listed here is our website. Should you know of any interested people or even groups, please connect them with our website. The lodge has 7 small bedrooms.
Thank you for looking!
www.highlandranchusa.com
Personally, I think you did a great thing understanding that it is Pennsylvania and it was your fathers dream come true. It is your money and your property and it appears you managed it well. Now, if you really want to make a contribution to the State open a gate on the far side of the property and let a few of those elk run. Do that once or twice a year and you and your fathers legacy could go down as local heroes at some point in the future.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1899guy: I have never participated in a "fenced Big Game Hunt" - but at my age and if I could afford it I would buy that beautiful parcel and enjoy it.
It is sure different than where I grew up Hunting (Okanogan country of eastern Washington and the foothills of the western Cascades) and where I now Hunt (Rocky Mountain west).
Thanks for the link and good luck with the sale.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Please pass along my standing cash offer to the realtor of $1,000,000.00 (one million dollars).

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by borden811

-Jake

They can climb right up one side and down the other. Basically like a step ladder for them.

Falling trees (wind or ice storms) can also wreak havoc on fences. Pretty sure Bob can attest to the continual maintenance necessary to keep a fence of that length functional and intact.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Poconojack, when we built this place we did it right. We cut a 100' + clearcut around the entire perimeter of the property. Nothing reaches it and if it does, its just the gentile tree-tops that do nothing to this high-tensile fence. As far as the time spent, I spend about 5 hours per year on the fence, mostly filling holes that bears dig under the fence, and its usually no big deal. The place is pretty much turn-key and maintenance free. Regarding the bears, they go over or under the fence. They pretty much do whatever they want. To the guy who says its a small piece of property and west of there is full of elk, bla, bla, bla, good luck hunting one of those, in the lottery. Lastly, I would love to let some free to be add to the elk coverage in PA, but thats illegal, as crazy as that sounds. Thank you to those who have made the positive comments. No hurry to sell it. In the meantime, I love the place and will enjoy it until the right person falls in love with it too.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by borden811

-Jake

I’d think the 2-legged varmints would be more of a problem!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a beautiful estate! Congrats to your family for developing and maintaining it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh…by the way…any trades? 😂

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am not a high fence fan, but I am sure I would deeply appreciate owning this property.
But that is not in my future.
Sounds like a great place and a neat place to sneak up on some elk. Keeping the head
count in check really needs to be maintained.
Congrats.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut
As you see no buddy has interest in a high dollar fenced property to 'hunt Elk'

Maybe some rich liberaL from Philly or NYC will bite to entertain their clients

Not happening here.......

Again too much public land in the western USA to have a real Elk hunt

Move on..........

Well this post didn't elicit the response poster hoped.

Maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed but if a guy had 600 acres in PA that's a pretty good way to manage the ground.

I have never killed a bull on private, much less high fenced, but if OP is happy I don't see a thing wrong.

Seems a lot better than subdividing for rich NYC liberals to have a vacation home.

As hunters we might be better sticking together than eating our own.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/29/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Move on..........

Well this post didn't elicit the response poter hoped.

Maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed but if a guy had 600 acres in PA that's a pretty good way to manage the ground.

I have never killed a bull on private, much less high fenced, but if OP is happy I don't see a thing wrong.

Seems a lot better than subdividing for rich NYC liberals to have a vacation home.

Well said John. Same as you in regards to hunting but 600 acres in the east is a pretty fair piece of ground to keep natural.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

All good points 👍🏻

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How many elk are on the property? Bulls? Cows?
Same question for deer?

Mineral rights included?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by beretzs

Move on..........

Well this post didn't elicit the response poter hoped.

Well said John. Same as you in regards to hunting but 600 acres in the east is a pretty fair piece of ground to keep natural.

600 acres doesn't sound like much to someone from out west, but in the eastern hardwoods it's a pretty good spread.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For darn sure.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
600 acres is a postage stamp for a few elk. They can walk across that in 10 minutes.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Well there is no doubt that 600 acres is a large parcel for an individual to own.
But in the overall sceme of things it is not in that area of Pa.
Not only that, but how many Elk and Deer will a parcel of that size support?
In the mid 70s, when the Pa Game Commission placed the man they credited with saving the Pa bear population, in the job of now saving the deer herd, his plan was to drastically reduce the herd size.
Especially in the area where they were trying to increase the size of the Elk herd.
There was much outcry over that, and they had a big meeting at a now defunct sportsmans club called Mountain Country sportsman near the Cameron/Potter county line on route 872.
It seemed as though the entire staff of the game commission was present and defending the proposal.
When pressed, they claimed that due to the present size of the trees and lack of browse, the area could only support 2 deer per square mile. At that time, the Elk herd wasent even part of the argument, just the deer herd.
But, is it logical that a say 300# elk would consume twice the amount a 125 pound deer would?
So now were going to put a high fence around 600 acres and expect a huntable size herd to survive there?
Does anybody here have any idea as to how many large food plots the game commission has created in the Elk region over the past dozen years or so?
That in addition to many miles of natural gas pipelines and large power lines thruout that area?
Not to mention all the yards they occupy, and where many end up being shot, during the (ahem) annual hunt.
And their claim at least is that the entire Elk herd is about 1000 animals in the whole region, which is huge.
So id say that somebody is paying to feed the animals in order for them to survive on 600 acres.
Especially in years with a poor mast crop like acorns.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd love to own that piece of property with all the amenities if I was lucky in the Lottery. I lived in Wyoming for 25 years and am now back in the midwest. I understand that by western standards 600 acres is just a big lot. However, in the east 600 acres is an estate. High fence hunting is not my thing and I'd remove the fence ( after I removed all the elk of course and as many of the wt's as possible) and develop a free range QDM property. I have only a 160 acres and even that amount can have high productivity back here if managed correctly. I'm even more fortunate as my neighbors are on the same page with QDM. A huge asset.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DLSguide
600 acres is a postage stamp for a few elk. They can walk across that in 10 minutes.

Yep. If I was interested in it the elk wouldn't be the reason.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk are Grazers just like a cow how many cows will the 600 acres support? there's your answer, Deer are Browsers not Grazers and do not compete with Elk for Food. Rio7

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

293 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.