E
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by tikkanut
As you see no buddy has interest in a high dollar fenced property to 'hunt Elk'

Maybe some rich liberaL from Philly or NYC will bite to entertain their clients

Not happening here.......

Again too much public land in the western USA to have a real Elk hunt

Move on..........

Well this post didn't elicit the response poster hoped.

Maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed but if a guy had 600 acres in PA that's a pretty good way to manage the ground.

I have never killed a bull on private, much less high fenced, but if OP is happy I don't see a thing wrong.

Seems a lot better than subdividing for rich NYC liberals to have a vacation home.

As hunters we might be better sticking together than eating our own.

Amen to the above.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
High fences are definitely Rio's forte.

Leave the OP alone, unless you are interested.

You beef eaters.......be careful on your high perch.

Originally Posted by RIO7
Elk are Grazers just like a cow how many cows will the 600 acres support? there's your answer, Deer are Browsers not Grazers and do not compete with Elk for Food. Rio7

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yobuck
Well there is no doubt that 600 acres is a large parcel for an individual to own.
But in the overall sceme of things it is not in that area of Pa.
Not only that, but how many Elk and Deer will a parcel of that size support?
In the mid 70s, when the Pa Game Commission placed the man they credited with saving the Pa bear population, in the job of now saving the deer herd, his plan was to drastically reduce the herd size.
Especially in the area where they were trying to increase the size of the Elk herd.
There was much outcry over that, and they had a big meeting at a now defunct sportsmans club called Mountain Country sportsman near the Cameron/Potter county line on route 872.
It seemed as though the entire staff of the game commission was present and defending the proposal.
When pressed, they claimed that due to the present size of the trees and lack of browse, the area could only support 2 deer per square mile. At that time, the Elk herd wasent even part of the argument, just the deer herd.
But, is it logical that a say 300# elk would consume twice the amount a 125 pound deer would?
So now were going to put a high fence around 600 acres and expect a huntable size herd to survive there?
Does anybody here have any idea as to how many large food plots the game commission has created in the Elk region over the past dozen years or so?
That in addition to many miles of natural gas pipelines and large power lines thruout that area?
Not to mention all the yards they occupy, and where many end up being shot, during the (ahem) annual hunt.
And their claim at least is that the entire Elk herd is about 1000 animals in the whole region, which is huge.
So id say that somebody is paying to feed the animals in order for them to survive on 600 acres.
Especially in years with a poor mast crop like acorns.

A couple things.
It was much closer to 2000 when Dr Gary Alt was put in charge of PA deer.
As was said, elk and deer eat different stuff. Elk graze. You can feed a couple hundred herefords on 600 acres. I'm sure with "management " you could have quite a few elk on this piece. Certainly enough to keep a family entertained.

If I had the extra change, I'd buy it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
600 acres doesn't sound like much to someone from out west, but in the eastern hardwoods it's a pretty good spread.

Good spread for an individual owner. However, I do know three people who exceed it here. One with 1200, another with 1000 and a third with fenced 5000. Another has over 5000 in broken up pieces. And that is just a few that I know.

Then there are multiple game lands where 600 is small and they go up to 10,000. There are some big chunks one can wonder around in Pa. Which doesn't include NF's. The ANF is 500,000.

The guy who has the 5000 brought in big Canadian Bucks to mix in with his locals. He had to eventually take them out. They were killing his local Bucks in fighting for Does. One could hunt those 5000 acres of Pa mountains and get lost inside the fence, until you found the fence and walked around. Place makes for great still hunting.

Last edited by battue; 04/01/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by yobuck
Well there is no doubt that 600 acres is a large parcel for an individual to own.
But in the overall sceme of things it is not in that area of Pa.
Not only that, but how many Elk and Deer will a parcel of that size support?
In the mid 70s, when the Pa Game Commission placed the man they credited with saving the Pa bear population, in the job of now saving the deer herd, his plan was to drastically reduce the herd size.
Especially in the area where they were trying to increase the size of the Elk herd.
There was much outcry over that, and they had a big meeting at a now defunct sportsmans club called Mountain Country sportsman near the Cameron/Potter county line on route 872.
It seemed as though the entire staff of the game commission was present and defending the proposal.
When pressed, they claimed that due to the present size of the trees and lack of browse, the area could only support 2 deer per square mile. At that time, the Elk herd wasent even part of the argument, just the deer herd.
But, is it logical that a say 300# elk would consume twice the amount a 125 pound deer would?
So now were going to put a high fence around 600 acres and expect a huntable size herd to survive there?
Does anybody here have any idea as to how many large food plots the game commission has created in the Elk region over the past dozen years or so?
That in addition to many miles of natural gas pipelines and large power lines thruout that area?
Not to mention all the yards they occupy, and where many end up being shot, during the (ahem) annual hunt.
And their claim at least is that the entire Elk herd is about 1000 animals in the whole region, which is huge.
So id say that somebody is paying to feed the animals in order for them to survive on 600 acres.
Especially in years with a poor mast crop like acorns.

A couple things.
It was much closer to 2000 when Dr Gary Alt was put in charge of PA deer.
As was said, elk and deer eat different stuff. Elk graze. You can feed a couple hundred herefords on 600 acres. I'm sure with "management " you could have quite a few elk on this piece. Certainly enough to keep a family entertained.

If I had the extra change, I'd buy it.
I wont argue over the exact date Ault was placed in charge of the deer other than to say it was much earlier than 2000. As for the Elk eating differant stuff, apparently you havent spent much time where they live in Pa. Because they sure will eat the leaves and branches off the bushes and small trees.
Used to be that people said that deer wouldnt eat grass also, but again thats just as wrong to think that. They all have certain things they prefer, but will also eat a wide variety of things when necessary. As for the 2 deer per square mile, thats not my research, that was the answer to a question by the game commission.
As for the Bears, Dr. Ault didnt save anything, the bears saved the bears, along with some help from nature, with a few back to back poor weather seasons where fewer of them were shot.
We did learn more about them, due to their research and checking dens while they were hibernating.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I guess you've got it all figured out then.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Antler restrictions started in Pa during the 2002 season. Alt couldn't have been in charge much earlier. Alt's main contribution to Pa Deer hunting was his scorch the earth war on Does.

His policy, while it worked in producing bigger Bucks, resulted in more posted land than any other decision ever made by the Pa GC. In that it was the birth of QDM in Pa, and QDM in and of itself means restricted access.

Last edited by battue; 04/01/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

I manage 2-1/2 properties for deer. There are places we never or rarely go on our own land to create a sanctuary.

Last edited by Teeder; 04/01/23.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Dr. Gary Alt took over the Penn deer program in 1999

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
GLWYS it looks like a really nice property and should sell quickly. I hope someone that allows hunting ends up buying this property.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.