Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Shetlands can ornery, what about a Welsh?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sure why not? How old/big is Gilbert. Maybe wait a couple of years and get a horse?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gilbert is six.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My cousin-in-law used to raise Welsh pony's for her kids and sale. She liked them for her kids.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Usually with a Shetland the kid is too small to control it and when he does get old enough, he is too big for it. They get spoiled because the kid is too young to know what to do. It is not the fault or the breeding of the pony. There are some good ones out there, but are few and far between. I had one for my kids, but it had been through a few families before then and did well.

Myself, I started riding a welsh pony when I was about 9 years old and did so until my middle teens.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A big problem with Shetlands is that they're too small for a knowledgeable rider to break them. They all end up being half assed broken by kids who don't know how. The breed wasn't developed for riding. They were bred to be draft horses to use in English mines where full sized horses were too big for the job.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Sure why not? How old/big is Gilbert. Maybe wait a couple of years and get a horse?
Solid advice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all. I leanin' tword a horse.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’d 100% get a horse. Moving my 7 year old daughter from a pony to a horse was one of the best things I done. I also ride the horse too and so far that has helped with the horse trying to get away with stuff. So far so good.

My 7 year old isn’t as confident and brave as her younger sister. Something that helped her a lot was working her horse from the ground in the pen then riding in the pen. Then when she was comfortable I’d open the pen and let her go. Now she will tear out and go anywhere but we will use the pen to start some. I think it’s good for both of them.

I sure hope everything goes well for you and y’all have a wonderful time.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What about a mule?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not a mule expert (except for packing) but I think a mule's brain is a harder match for a kid unless you spend a LOT of money.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
4 wheeler.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As long as the mule is broke, broke, broke. I sure don't know why, but most GOOD mules like little kids. Might be because the mule is looking down at them and they present no threat.

Breeding mules, the most important attribute of a mule is disposition. The jack and mare will sure enough pass it on to the mule foal. A good dispositioned mule is a pleasure to have and you can do about anything with, one with a sorry disposition you will cuss it's entire life.

Mules are like dogs, they have that strange ability to judge a human, good or bad. One person will get along famously with a mule, another one, the mule will never trust. Kids more than likely have not developed that presence.

I had a team of mini mules. Horse mule and a molly.The molly was friends with everyone, the other not so much. However, if a couple little kids went into the corral, both would be right there wanting attention. I sold that team to a pastor that had a sort of petty zoo. He told me later, that those two were always the favorites.

I don't condone letting little ones around any equine unsupervised, but I have seen mules step carefully around youngsters. Some little kids seem mean from the get go though and I would not trust them with my dog.

Problem being, horse, pony, or mule, most people won't spend the money to get good one.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/29/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I rode double with my dad at age 4 and by myself at 6. Give him a little while and a good horse will be money well spent.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I learned to ride a big horse at 6. I just needed to climb up on something to get on. It didn't take long before I was riding just fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.