Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Was buying a rifle at a local shop yesterday and asked if they had any other good deals. They said 30 super carry weren't selling and offered me a new s&w shield for $350.

There's an additional $50 mail in rebate so I took one with a safety home. It has a 16 round mag and a 13 rd mag.

Anyone else have one? What do you think of yours? I'm debating on ordering diees and shell plate etc and loading some 85g xtps u have for my 327. Might make a nice light load for my wife to carry.

Bb

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
With factory ammo recoils like a 9mm shield.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I see a lot if ammo at the gun shows, but no pistols to go with them.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Might be an abortion, despite any merit it might have had as a new handgun caliber. People are likely just too satisfied with the choices already on the market, long established.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TRH, please remove that SOB from your sig line. I can’t stand to look at him, but I enjoy your posts.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lastround
TRH, please remove that SOB from your sig line. I can’t stand to look at him, but I enjoy your posts.
I have never, in all the years of being a member here, given sway to pressure about sig lines and avatars. I keep them for a time, and then switch them to something else after a month or two.

If anything, I tend to keep them there a little longer when folks try to pressure me to change them. I figure you want it down because the idea it expresses offends you, in which case, that's a good thing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
In retrospect I should have maybe not bought it. I'm quite happy with my 9mms and my 365 holds 13 in the mags I prefer for it. The 90g xtp can make a decent light 9mm load too.

But, I'm always a suckered for a deal and something new. I'll run a few boxes of factory through it before deciding whether to get the reloading stuff for it.

I think the 30 would be cool in like a 4" xdm with maybe a 25 round mag similar in length to a 9mm xdm 19 rd mag.

Bb

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
In retrospect I should have maybe not bought it…
But, I'm always a suckered for a deal and something new.
Bb
There is a certain market… the 5%ers who hafta buy something new.

There is a lot to say about making life simple as well… 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 44.

Regarding 32s in general. I really think the 32 H&R mag was one of the more outstanding cartridges made for revolvers, especially 6 shot j frame.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
There is a certain market… the 5%ers who hafta buy something new.

There is a lot to say about making life simple as well… 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 44.

Regarding 32s in general. I really think the 32 H&R mag was one of the more outstanding cartridges made for revolvers, especially 6 shot j frame.

I currently have a single 7 in 327 and it's a fun little pistol. The factory loads are definitely high pressure and loud with significant blast. I'm looking to pick up some starline 32 h&r brass because I want to load some cast bullets for plinking and the h&r cases should easily do that with room to spare. A powder coated cast 100g at about 1000 fps should be a good plinking and small game load.

I could also do some 130g hard cast wfn type bullets and the H&r brass will give me more room for the bullet before I run out of cylinder. Once I get the h&r brass I might not use much 327 brass anymore.

Once I get loading some cast for the single 7 I'll probably love it and be committed to the 32s again then keeping the 30 sc around won't be a big deal.

About 10 years ago I tried to simplify to 22 lr, 9mm, 44 mag for handguns. Then I fell in love with 10mm and once I had those bullets on hand anyways deals on 40s were hard to pass. Then 357s and 45 colts snuck back in followed by 45acp because everyone has to have a 1911. Then I deal from a friend on a 3" sp101 in 327 and the 32s were in the herd. The loading room is anything but simple these days so what's 1 more.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/29/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I've typed this here before, a dozen times at least.

No need to buy 32 H&R brass, or 38 special brass, or 44 special brass.

Use the load data for the shorter cartridge, then set the bullet to the COAL listed for the shorter cartridge.

I do so for the 327 and 41 mag. I use 32 H&R data as well as 32 Smith long data in my four 327s. The kids really enjoy shooting the single seven, and the SP 101 with 85 gr bullets loaded to 800 fps.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Use the load data for the shorter cartridge, then set the bullet to the COAL listed for the shorter cartridge.

I do so for the 327 and 41 mag. I use 32 H&R data as well as 32 Smith long data in my four 327s. The kids really enjoy shooting the single seven, and the SP 101 with 85 gr bullets loaded to 800 fps.

I'm aware you can down load mags. I own at least a dozen 44 mags and own zero 44 special brass. I load some 38 special because some of my revolvers are only chambered 38 but I down load some 357 mag brass too. I'm think 32 H$R because I can do 95% of what I want to do in my single 7 with that case.

So when you down load your mags are you seating the bullets down past any crimp groove and to where the ogive may be below the case mouth? I've typically seated even my light loads at the mag lengths in mag brass.

My light load for 44 for years was a 200g cast over 7g of titegroup. It was seated at magnum length and worked well I just had to be very careful not to double charge because there was enough room in the mag case to almost hold a quadruple charge.

The load I'm working on for 38 special for the 148 soup cans has them seated deep in a special case. To seat to the same depth in a 357 case would put the top of the bullet bellow the case mouth.

Bb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Seat to the normal crimp groove in the regular case and use a top end powder charge for the shorter case in the full length brass.

It's not written in stone, but using a shorter case in the longer chambers has the potential to make the load less accurate because there is more freebore for the base of the bullet to tilt before being guided by the throat. This makes the bullet nose off center to the axis of the bore. You can make it work with cast bullets with certain designs and increasing diameter of the projectile.
Using the full case starts the bullet centered in the throat, not laying in the cylinder forcing cone.

It also increases stripping at land engagement due to the freebore increase, which can effect accuracy and may cause leading if the alloy is too soft.

Using a position insensitive powder like Titegroup is also a good idea when using the full length cases and light loads. It keeps spreads low and eliminates inconsistent ignition in the full length cases with lighter loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just checked ammoseek and the ammo is cheaper than I thought. Still, since it kicks like a 9, the only advantage is the couple extra rounds that can be squeezed in a pistol of the same size, and I suspect it’s pretty dang loud, so I’ll probably pass.

I might be interested in a full-size with optics cut for field carry, but my 5.7 fills that hole pretty well. Handguns here have to have 4” barrels to be legal for hunting. Only full-size I’ve seen is a very spendy 1911.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
...I suspect it’s pretty dang loud...
This.

SAAMI pressure for the .30 Super Carry is 45,000 psi. The .30 Carbine operates at 40,000 psi. That has the reputation of having a particularly nasty muzzle blast out of a 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk. Uncorking 45,000 psi from a 3" barrel? No thanks.

That's not based on pure speculation, either. On these rainy spring days I go to a local indoor range where most folks shoot 9mm, which at 35,000 psi is pretty blasty to begin with. One day a guy in the lane next to me was shooting something REALLY loud. Even wearing ear plugs and ear muffs it was bloody obnoxious. Guess what he was using? (Hint, its initials are 30SC).

Now I realize the original post was about loading it down, but I would suppose the semi-automatics are set up to operate properly at the original 45 kpsi level. The Shield with its 3" barrel and correspondingly shorter recoil spring could be more sensitive to changes in operating conditions. You'd have to get down to around 20 kpsi or below to keep muzzle blast anywhere near reasonable (with "reasonable" definitely being a relative term), so how would that affect reliability?

The .30 SC is an interesting idea - more cartridges in the magazine while keeping the same muzzle energy as a 9mm, but they had to push those little bullets really hard to get there.

No solid recommendations as to a light load for the wife except that I think the .30 Super Carry might not be the way to go.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta wonder how long it’ll be before Ruger comes out with a Single Seven Convertible……..

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I'm aware you can down load mags. I own at least a dozen 44 mags and own zero 44 special brass. I load some 38 special because some of my revolvers are only chambered 38 but I down load some 357 mag brass too. I'm think 32 H$R because I can do 95% of what I want to do in my single 7 with that case.

So when you down load your mags are you seating the bullets down past any crimp groove and to where the ogive may be below the case mouth? I've typically seated even my light loads at the mag lengths in mag brass.

My light load for 44 for years was a 200g cast over 7g of titegroup. It was seated at magnum length and worked well I just had to be very careful not to double charge because there was enough room in the mag case to almost hold a quadruple charge.

The load I'm working on for 38 special for the 148 soup cans has them seated deep in a special case. To seat to the same depth in a 357 case would put the top of the bullet bellow the case mouth.

Bb

Seat to COAL as listed for the special case. Often that means crimping lightly over the ogive of the bullet. It actually matters little where the "crimp groove" ends up in relation to the brass, especially in regard to light loads. There is no crimp groove on plated, or dip lubed cast bullets, nor many jacketed pistol bullets in my inventory.

And yes, some of my lighter bullets in the 327 are seated fully within the brass when duplicating S&W long loads. Perhaps they look a bit funny at first glance. They sure shoot nice.

Sure you can achieve exact special velocities in mag cases at magnum COAL. But not with specific, special data. The loads will always shoot slower in the more voluminous case. SD, and ES of recorded velocities will be greater in the larger case as the powder is below optimum burn temperature.

It is very easy to exactly duplicate the internal volume (behind the bullet) of special loads in magnum cases.

You also gain the additional benefit that you never need to scrub carbon from your chambers before switching back to magnum loads.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Scrubbing carbon rings is the main reason I don't own any 44 special brass. I've always found it easier to keep all my 44s in mag brass. If I didn't have 38 only revolvers I'd probably only own 357 brass too. I guess my interest in 32 h&r brass for the 327 single 7 comes down to the way I think I'll most always use that gun which is plinking and moderate loads.

I'm am concerned about the higher pressure of the 30 SC. I need to just get it out and shoot it but for years I preferred the 44 over the 357 because I didn't like the ear splitting crack of the 357. The 327 with hot loads is even worse than the 357 and the 30 sc may be about the same. I'll get it to the range before I buy dies and a shell plate. An 85g xtp at 1100 in a 30 SC when I could down load a 90g xtp in a 9mm isn't logical.

The smart thing to do would be to keep it simple and stick with 9mm. I've got lots of 9s and it's nice knowing they can all share ammo. The 30 sc is just a good looking little round and the factory fmj has a nice little flat nose. When I saw the ammo I thought of Federal new punch 22 lr flat nose and thought the same principles must apply here. However I really like my critical duty win 9mm ammo I've bought cases of lately. If it's going to be fmj why not a little flat nose. That is if it feeds etc.

Addiction doesn't always follow a logical path. I didn't walk in looking for a 30 SC but at $350 and a rebate I bit. I may shoot it and love it. I just keep looking at the 30 sc case and thinking I'd like to neck it down to .224 and load it with 40g vmaxes. Might not match the 5.7 but might avoid the special coating of the 5.7 that makes it tough to reload. I've been trying to think of how I can neck down a 30 sc to model one. Any ideas? The 5.7 and the 22 tcm needs some competition.

I'll get the 30 to the range soon and report back. I'm pretty sure it will be a blast.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/31/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm curious what you think after a range trip!

I need another 32 like I need another hole in my head but if I caught a deal like yours..

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have never, in all the years of being a member here, given sway to pressure about sig lines and avatars. I keep them for a time, and then switch them to something else after a month or two.

If anything, I tend to keep them there a little longer when folks try to pressure me to change them. I figure you want it down because the idea it expresses offends you, in which case, that's a good thing.

Haaa!!! UBlock origin.

Right click, block element.

Gone...

Gotta re-do it when they change the stupid...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Haaa!!! UBlock origin.

Right click, block element.

Gone...

Gotta re-do it when they change the stupid...

There you go. Problem solved. Should be a sticky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.