24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Any Mississippi turkey hunters out there getting ready for next week? I would love to see pics and hear reports of your hunts. Good luck and post pics if you can. I'll do the same as soon as I can get out in the woods. Unfortunately I'm going to miss the first couple of days. Happy hunting. -tnscouter

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Not from Mississippi, but will be down there hunting the last week of March. I’ll try and get a post up during/after my trip.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I’m from north Mississippi. Hadn’t got out yet but hope to this weekend to listen.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have never been before but am going to try my luck this weekend. Saw some gobblers during deer season so hopefully they are still around. I’ve heard it is a blast but have always been bass fishing During turkey season. I sold my boat last year and need something to keep me in the woods over the next month or so.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good luck to all going out and be safe! Jealous in a way, my seasons aren't until the beginning of May!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hickory Nut, if you kill one you will never drop another line over the next month or so.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
That’s what I’ve been hearing over the years. I am looking forward to trying it. Hopefully I can find some birds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck to you southern hunters. May 1 can't come soon enough up here!

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HickoryNut
That’s what I’ve been hearing over the years. I am looking forward to trying it. Hopefully I can find some birds.

They can humble you. Which just makes it worse. Tried the last two years to get a gobbler for my wife. Last year she blew 2 opportunities. One is the biggest gobbler I’ve ever seen and I’ve killed a 22+ and a 24+. She was ready to scream by the time season was over. But she did shoot a coyote.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I must say turkey hunting is difficult. I tried late Friday afternoon to find some on the roost. No dice. They were not making a sound. Got up early Saturday morning and tried to set up in a large hay field I’ve seen them many times before. Hooted and made some soft calls to see if they would react. No reaction at all. Went to a different area with big timber and hay fields and tried some calling but no answer. It was cold for this time of year low 30’s. I wasn’t sure if that may have shut them down. I know they move in the cold but not sure how they react in cooler weather as far as calling. It’s not a large chunk of property but two 60 acre tracts with woods and hay fields that have not been cut in at least a year. Still a nice way to see the sun rise and be in the woods to see them come alive.

Saw a family friend on the way back home walking out from hunting. He said he didn’t hear anything either and said the front may have kept them quiet. Is that even a thing? Does cold weather keep them quiet?

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hickory,

Now weather does not change a thing. The last two years in Missouri m, weather went from 60 to 22 and 2” of snow over night. Me and the boy smashed two that morning in the snow.

Attached Images

Don't gobble at me
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hey Fullfan congrats on the Double with your son! Sounds like that was a good time for sure. I will do some more scouting and listening. My uncle has a lot of experience turkey hunting and travels a good bit during the season. I think him and his buddy go to Missouri at least once a year to chase turkeys. I am not sure what part they go to but say they typically have a bunch of birds in the area they hunt.

I am not going to give up on them just because I didn't hear or see anything. Good luck to everyone. I will report back when I have an encounter with one of these majestic creatures.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hey Fullfan congrats on the Double with your son! Sounds like that was a good time for sure. I will do some more scouting and listening. My uncle has a lot of experience turkey hunting and travels a good bit during the season. I think him and his buddy go to Missouri at least once a year to chase turkeys. I am not sure what part they go to but say they typically have a bunch of birds in the area they hunt.

I am not going to give up on them just because I didn't hear or see anything. Good luck to everyone. I will report back when I have an encounter with one of these creatures.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on the hunt with your son.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We’re back from Mississippi. Left Monday at 2pm after work, drove straight thru the night and got there in time to hunt at daybreak on Tuesday. Got on some birds still in the roost, but they flew down and we never heard a gobble the rest of the day. We put on plenty of miles, but never struck a bird. Wednesday morning we found birds on private land and got as close as we could on the bordering public, which was still about 400 yards. Another repeat of fly down and never gobble again. We started putting on the miles again, and struck a bird around noon. Worked him for an hour, but couldn’t get him to cross a road and fence from private to our piece of public. We spent the evening in a spot where we had seen plenty of sign and killed our first bird about 5 pm. We called it a night, and were back at it early again Thursday morning. We got on birds off the roost, and had several hens and gobblers closing fast. They were just over a rise, but already in gun range. A last minute gun adjustment was picked up by a hen still in the roost tree. She headed for the next county, the birds over the rise went silent, and we never heard them again. Back to putting on the miles. About 1pm we struck a bird on public land, and by 130pm we had our second dead bird. We headed back to where we worked the birds in the morning, only to find another hunter just stepping out of his car when we pulled in. We asked him where he was headed, and he was going exactly where we had planned on going. We left the spot to him, and headed to our backup spot. As we were putting on our gear, an atv rode down through the chunk of public we were going to hunt, with a radio blasting. Out of options close enough to get to in time, we opted for an early dinner and some much needed sleep. Today was going to be our last day, but 400am greeted us with high winds and rain. The forecast called for higher wind and heavier rain as the day went on, so we packed up and headed home. All said, it was a great trip, and Mississippi has a couple less turkeys than it did before we got there. Public land hunting down there is tough, and if you’re “from the north” you’re not a fan favorite, especially if you’re trying to hunt “their turkeys”. In 4 days we put in nearly 19 miles of walking. The birds are there if you’re willing to put in the time, but don’t expect it to be easy.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on your two birds and a fun trip.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Great effort by covering lots of ground. We get the same treatment from locals when we hunt the Mark Twain. Have discovered that every man in Arkansas does not work, and they hunt The same area we do in the Twain.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Great effort by covering lots of ground. We get the same treatment from locals when we hunt the Mark Twain. Have discovered that every man in Arkansas does not work, and they hunt The same area we do in the Twain.

🤣🤣

Dang birds will make a man quit his job!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Glad to hear you had some luck. Congrats on the birds! Great story as well thanks for sharing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.